Microsoft PowerApps Review

A self-contained solution for rapidly developing apps

What is our primary use case?

I am not a PowerApps user, but recently I have been evaluating and scoring no-code to low-code platforms (for developing mobile apps). The score chart is divided into sections, such as usability and features like the ability to test and multi-platform. Due to these evaluations, I learned the systems well enough to be able to build a sample application on all of these platforms and then fill in my evaluation.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that Microsoft PowerApps it a self-contained solution; I could build everything and then deploy it. I liked the UI designer that they had for building the screens and also defining the flows. Of all of the solutions I evaluated, it was the easiest to use and deploy.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft PowerApps is not intended for customizing what's generated in a major way. You have these little windows where you can enter your script and such, but there is no script debugging, nothing like that. You build and you auto-generate the code. From there, if you want to customize it too much, then it's going to get difficult — OutSystems was more intended for that; you can do a lot more customization after you build your solution.

The stability is pretty robust. I didn't encounter any crashes or anything unexpected.

I did have a negative experience with customer support. I contacted them and was connected with an automated messaging system; It was hard to get to talk to someone. That was definitely a concern for me.

For me, the initial setup was very simple and smooth-flowing.

I was using a free version. The company has a subscription where you can use certain features for free, but there are features that require a premium subscription to use. I am not certain, but I suspect they would be expensive.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

More Microsoft PowerApps reviews from users