Microsoft PowerApps Review

Stable, easy to use, and simple to implement

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for in-house management.  For example, for human resources.

How has it helped my organization?

We are a small business. We keep up all sales and duties within our organization. One day someone might be part of the development team, however, next week we want him on the sales team to directly involve them in a small project that we've done for the client. We don't have to go to a different person from an agency or organization or have someone that is always dedicated to a position. We need to be flexible in order to move our employees from here to here. And this solution allows us to change or play around with our own system to reflect the changes of our personnel.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very straightforward. Its context is obvious and everything is easy to understand.

Compared to previous applications which developed by Visual Basic, we can quickly update the whole business process without spending weeks or a month dealing with those aspects.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any features that are lacking.

The pricing could always be less.

I have heard from developers that there is documentation missing in the reporting.

It would be useful if Power Apps were capable of providing more flexible reporting to allow the developer to really to manipulate the data, and get into more details - for example, why it's being changed and how it's been changed. If there was a way they could comment right in the reports, that would be very helpful.

There should be more document management capabilities.

We've been using the solution for a year and a half at this point.

The stability is pretty good from a business point of view. It was reliable and easy to understand and work with.

We haven't really tested the scalability, however, we've noticed that, since everyone is working from home, it's much slower than if everyone works from the office.

With everything going on, we don't really have the right scenario to really test for scalability. That may happen in the future. COVID-19 has put a lot of plans on hold.

We currently have 12 people using it. They are mostly project managers and developers. We also have two sales people and the CEO on it.

We've never had to reach out to technical support. That's a good thing. It means we haven't had any issues.

The last solution we used was old and it was built in-house. It was time to retire it, which is why we adopted this product.

Although I'm not the person who handles the initial setup, my understanding is that it's not too difficult and pretty straightforward.

Deployment typically takes two months. The last deployment we did started in May and was completed by July.

There isn't a lot of maintenance needed. We have one developer that's dedicated to the maintenance and changing the environment as needed. It's pretty hands-off though.

We handled the implementation ourselves. We didn't need any outside assistance.

The solution is subscription-based, however, I don't handle billing, and therefore don't have insights into the costs. We don't have any extras that we pay for. We just have a standard subscription package.

I'd recommend the solution. Overall, I'd rate it eight out of ten. If the reporting and pricing were better, I'd rate it higher.

I've definitely learned about the power of the cloud. Before everyone used to use the VPN connection to the head office. When we pushed into the cloud and everyone can just see everything and the system is very sound. It also allows our developers to see what they can change. It's been great.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

Hybrid Cloud
More Microsoft PowerApps reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with OutSystems
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft PowerApps. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,719 professionals have used our research since 2012.