Microsoft Windows Server Update Services Review

Separate downloading of updates is a crucial advantage

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to update servers in our company. We're a construction company and a customer of Microsoft. I'm a systems administrator.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the practical and security updates. It downloads updates separately; security and critical. That's very good.

What needs improvement?

I think some features could be added to improve this product. I'd like to see a critical update alarm where I get notifications regarding critical or security updates and receive a review of it.

For an additional feature, I'd like to see the option of receiving alarms wherever I am, so that if something happens and there's nobody at work, the problem can be dealt with efficiently.

I've been using this solution for about a year.

The stability can sometimes be a bit problematic, depending on the Windows version you are using.

I don't have any issues with scalability. We have about 150 users in the company and many outside. We currently have four people in the company who deal with the maintenance.

Initial setup is not that simple but also not too complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that anyone considering implementing this solution take the time to research it completely before implementation. Without doing that there will be problems when it's installed and it's important to remember that with this product there are some things that cannot be edited once it's been implemented.

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

More Microsoft Windows Server Update Services reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, HCL, Quest Software and others in Patch Management. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.