Microsoft Windows Server Update Services Overview

Microsoft Windows Server Update Services is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Patch Management tools. It is most often compared to BigFix: Microsoft Windows Server Update Services vs BigFix

What is Microsoft Windows Server Update Services?

Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) enables information technology administrators to deploy the latest Microsoft product updates. You can use WSUS to fully manage the distribution of updates that are released through Microsoft Update to computers on your network. This topic provides an overview of this server role and more information about how to deploy and maintain WSUS.

Microsoft Windows Server Update Services is also known as Windows Server Update Services, Microsoft WSUS, WSUS, Microsoft Software Update Services, Software Update Services, Microsoft SUS, SUS, MS Windows Server Update Services, MS Windows Server Update Services, MS Windows Server Update Services.

Download the Patch Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Microsoft Windows Server Update Services Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Windows Server Update Services pricing:
  • "The WSUS cost is included in Microsoft Windows, and there are no licensing fees."
  • "The integration is included in the Windows Server system, and there are no additional fees."
  • "This product comes included with Windows and can be used free of charge."

Julio Orihuela
Computer network and Data Center administrator at a sports company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable with good patching and good internal updating

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for internal updates. What happened is that one of our equipment items had a problem with a new Windows update and so we have to uninstall this update. We were looking for ways to do it centrally. There were some Lenovo boxes that were restarting automatically and we had to take out these updates.

• "The most important aspect is that we can centrally deploy the updates that are necessary for the organization. It's important."
  • "The reporting is not as practical as I would like it to be."

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user. I'm not sure of which version of the solution we're using. I'd advise new potential users to implement the product and to regularly check on it. We have some equipment that is not being updated. That's on us. It's necessary, however, to implement constant evaluations for which equipment is actually connected to the solution. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall. We're mostly quite happy with the product.
JavadKamyabi
Information Technology Security Specialist at a university
Reduces internet traffic needed to keep my environment secure, but the integration with IIS needs to be fixed

What is our primary use case?

WSUS is used differently depending on the client and their requirements. For some clients, I only use this solution for security patches and updates. In some cases, I use Windows Updates and Windows Upgrades. I have more than 4,000 clients and it is important to me to make sure that the upgrade process does not affect my third-party software. This means that for most of them, I stopped the upgrades and only use the WSUS security patch tool to keep up with the latest protection available for my environment.

• "The most valuable feature is the decreased level of internet usage by my network."
  • "I would like to see support for other operating systems such as Linux."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, HCL, Quest Software and others in Patch Management. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JW
Technology Manager/Engineer III at a marketing services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to deploy and identifies which updates are needed for each machine

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of this solution is installing Windows updates.

• "The most valuable feature is its ability to identify which updates are needed on a particular machine."
  • "Having the ability to group updates by the operating systems would be very helpful."

What other advice do I have?

At this point, it accomplishes everything that I need to do. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
BK
Owner at xconsult
A scalable solution that is easy to deploy, but difficult for some people to understand

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to update the server and Windows desktop. The deployment model we are using is on-premises, mainly.

• "This solution is stable."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see additional tools added to fix the engine issues on the client's side."

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest sharing packages between clients. I am not using this solution extensively now because I am on the architect's side. I am working as a freelancer and I use this solution with most of my clients. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Islam Elsherpieny
System Administrator at SAMCO
Separate downloading of updates is a crucial advantage

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to update servers in our company. We're a construction company and a customer of Microsoft. I'm a systems administrator.

• "Downloads critical reports separately."
  • "Could be improved with additional features such as an update alarm."

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that anyone considering implementing this solution take the time to research it completely before implementation. Without doing that there will be problems when it's installed and it's important to remember that with this product there are some things that cannot be edited once it's been implemented. I would rate this product an eight out of 10.
AM
System Administrator with 201-500 employees
Easy to use, but configuration needs improvement and it wastes storage with old update files and backups

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to minimize the data flow from outside.

• "The interface is easy to use."
  • "The old backup files created by this solution use up a lot of storage, and this needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I am not satisfied with this solution. There are constant issues and most of the time it doesn't work. I would rate this solution a four out of ten.
DL
Consultant at a tech services company
Reseller
Enables us to automatically install security patches without an internet connection

What is our primary use case?

We use the on premises version.

• "With WSUS, you can automatically install and distribute Microsoft security patches without using an internet connection for all clients and servers. It is not difficult to understand how it works and I think it's a very nice tool."
  • "Microsoft should improve their support for the product. A lot of guys are installing their products, especially Xero. If you have a real problem, though, it's quite difficult to find someone who you can support you."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as eight of ten.
SB
Chief Operating Officer at a transportation company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable patch management that is included with Windows, but the reporting flexibility should be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for patch management.

• "The most valuable features are that it is included with Windows, and it can be driven by Group Policy Objects (GPOs)."
  • "Job management and control is an area that is in need of improvement."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is looking into Windows Server Update Services is that if you want something with more control then you need to look into getting an alternative product. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.