MicroStrategy Review

Mature and robust with good security

What is our primary use case?

When we were using it before, it was mainly for some types of reporting, primarily sales reporting. We also use it for external reporting and that went out to our customers to allow our member hospitals to view their own purchasing data, for example, who they're buying from, what vendors, what kind of pricing they're getting. Mostly its reports on things of that nature. It was and is used for both internal reporting and external member facing reporting.

We moved to Tableau and we're still using it a little bit for some of our solutions.

What is most valuable?

The security is quite robust. It is more of a true enterprise solution. That made it much easier to deploy out at the time to our members.

The common metadata, the library that MicroStrategy has made, makes it much easier to reuse components and not have to recreate them for every dashboard. That was something we really liked and still do.

The product is very mature. It's quite robust and an excellent enterprise-level solution.

Overall, we found the solution to be quite stable.

What needs improvement?

At the time we moved away from relying on it, the solution was really lagging as far as visualizations and ease of dashboard creation. It took much more of a MicroStrategy expert to design dashboards. It wasn't really something users could do on their own. The self-service component was really lacking.

The cost is pretty high. It was a little pricier than Tableau, for example.

The learning curve is quite steep. A company should consider a third-party service to help with implementation.

We've been using the solution for 20 years or so. It's been a very long time. We have a lot of experience with it.

Overall, we were really happy with it. As far as an enterprise solution goes, it was very stable. It was very mature and had many robust features, as far as building applications and alerting, et cetera. The thresholding just had a very robust feature set, which is what we liked about it.

We didn't really deal with bugs and glitches. It didn't crash and freeze. It was very reliable for many years.

The solution is well suited to enterprise-level companies.

We are currently using Tableau. It's less expensive.

The initial setup was done a very long time ago. We had a third-party help us when we first implemented it back in the 90's.

Since then, we have managed it ourselves.

We did hire a third-party to assist us in the implementation process when we first set the solution up.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and end-user.

We are using the 2019 version of the solution.

I used to run a consulting company and we would consult on this solution. I would always recommend to our customers that they get a third-party to help them implement it initially due to the fact that the learning curve to implement MicroStrategy is much steeper than something like a Tableau.

Since we moved away from MicroStrategy, they've really gained traction on their visualizations and it's much more similar to a Tableau design now, as far as building visualizations. That was the only thing really lacking for us. It's good that they've moved in this direction.

Technically, we are still using the solution, just at a reduced scale.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

More MicroStrategy reviews from users
...who compared it with Tableau
Learn what your peers think about MicroStrategy. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.