MicroStrategy Overview

MicroStrategy is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Business Intelligence Tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft BI: MicroStrategy vs Microsoft BI

What is MicroStrategy?

Company: Founded in 1989, MicroStrategy (Nasdaq: MSTR) is a leading worldwide provider of enterprise software platforms. With direct operations in 26 countries worldwide and approximately 2,000 employees, our mission is to provide enterprise analytics, mobility, and security platforms that are flexible, powerful, scalable and user-friendly. To learn more, visit MicroStrategy online, and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Product portfoilio:

MicroStrategy 10 Secure Enterprise™ empowers leading organizations to analyze vast amounts of data and distribute actionable business insight throughout an enterprise through two distinct offerings: MicroStrategy Analytics™ and MicroStrategy Desktop™. MicroStrategy Analytics delivers reports and dashboards, and enables users to conduct ad hoc analysis and share insights anywhere, anytime, via mobile devices or the Web. It also combines the agility and productivity of self-service visual data discovery with the security, scalability, and governance features of enterprise-grade business intelligence. MicroStrategy Desktop is a standalone, on-premise visual data discovery tool designed to enable business users to analyze and understand their data. MicroStrategy Mobile™ enables organizations to rapidly build custom business applications that deliver analytics combined with transactions, multimedia, and custom workflows to mobile devices. MicroStrategy Secure Cloud™ combines all of the enterprise analytics, mobile, and security features in MicroStrategy 10 Secure Enterprise with powerful and scalable data integration, validation, and warehousing services — all delivered in an environment where organizations can deploy transformational analytics applications in minutes.

Usher, MicroStrategy’s breakthrough security solution, is a powerful mobile security platform designed to dematerialize traditional forms of identity verification (such as passwords, tokens, and physical badges) and replace them with a single mobile identity badge that is cryptographically linked to its owner’s smartphone and dynamically linked to an enterprise’s existing identity repositories. Usher works on standard Android and iOS smartphones, and also boasts an Apple Watch™ integration.

MicroStrategy Buyer's Guide

Download the MicroStrategy Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: March 2021

MicroStrategy Customers

Allstate Insurance, Barneys New York, Boston Children's Hospital, Buenos Aires Department of the Treasury, Campbell Soup Company, DHL, eBay, eHarmony, Facebook, Four Seasons Hotels Inc., Godiva, Hard Rock International, LinkedIn, Netflix, Pfizer, SECO (Swiss Government Unemployment Agency), Starbucks, Texas A&M University, Thomson Reuters Markets, US House of Representatives, and the US Postal Service.

MicroStrategy Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about MicroStrategy pricing:
  • "We have a license with packages, and there are additional costs for extra components."
  • "We have one of the best pricing available, but we can't disclose that information."
  • "They can improve its licensing. It is a bit expensive as compared to Microsoft and other tools."
  • "They offer yearly as well as perpetual licenses."
  • "The pricing is fair."

MicroStrategy Reviews

RicardoPedro
Northern Europe IT Business Intelligence Manager at Adecco
Aug 20, 2020
Good technical support but quite technical and needs better integration capabilities

• "The technical support is quite good."
  • "The solution's reports are not very flexible."

What other advice do I have?

We have a business relationship with the solution. At the moment, the company is using the 2019 version of the solution. We may plan to move to the 2020 version, however, I don't know when this will happen. The company I work for uses MicroStrategy and Power BI quite a bit, although I have used other BI tools in the past. Of course, the company is considering a move more towards Power BI. I was hired by the company to introduce Power BI to the organization. But at the same time, there are some strong values in them continuing to use MicroStrategy. So the question is now, to try to understand…
JJ
reviewer1497201
Principal Partner at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Feb 26, 2021
Mature and robust with good security

What is our primary use case?

When we were using it before, it was mainly for some types of reporting, primarily sales reporting. We also use it for external reporting and that went out to our customers to allow our member hospitals to view their own purchasing data, for example, who they're buying from, what vendors, what kind of pricing they're getting. Mostly its reports on things of that nature. It was and is used for both internal reporting and external member facing reporting. We moved to Tableau and we're still using it a little bit for some of our solutions.

• "The product is very mature. It's quite robust and an excellent enterprise-level solution."
  • "The learning curve is quite steep."

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and end-user. We are using the 2019 version of the solution. I used to run a consulting company and we would consult on this solution. I would always recommend to our customers that they get a third-party to help them implement it initially due to the fact that the learning curve to implement MicroStrategy is much steeper than something like a Tableau. Since we moved away from MicroStrategy, they've really gained traction on their visualizations and it's much more similar to a Tableau design now, as far as building visualizations. That was the only thing really lacking…
Learn what your peers think about MicroStrategy. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: March 2021.
473,792 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Alexandra Misios
Business Intelligence Coach at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 14, 2020
User-friendly, good for innovation, and allows us to use external data sources

What is our primary use case?

We are using MicroStrategy in development and also for the web.

• "It's user-friendly, also the MTDI cube is a very good approach, as it helps you to use the pre-format instead of using the standard objects from the schema of MicroStrategy."
  • "In the developer, there are things that you able to do in a document or a report that you are not able to do in the Dossier."

What other advice do I have?

I am certified in MicroStrategy 9 and 10 for data analysis and as a report developer. We are trying to connect MicroStrategy and Data Studio to the Google Cloud Platform. We prefer MicroStrategy and are trying to convince clients to switch. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
CD
reviewer1178424
Vice President & CIO at a logistics company with 201-500 employees
Jul 20, 2020
Good reporting and analytics, scalable, and has responsive support

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of the solution is for management reporting and analytics across many different subject areas.

• "This solution is the most scalable BI platform in the world."
  • "They need to do a better job In its ability to allow end users to produce their own reports, metrics, and self-service business intelligence."

What other advice do I have?

We have two ways of using this solution. We have an SSBI, which is self-service intelligence. We also have an enterprise-class, where we publish everything on the web, from tablets to phones, for our end-user base who are franchises. It is the best for large scale deployments, but you cannot become a MicroStrategy shop without having the right technical resources on the team. Don't even think about it, if you don't want to spend the money for the right person. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
MP
Mahipal Pannala
Senior MicroStrategy Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 30, 2020
Good dashboard features and excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

I work for different clients. Its deployment depends on the clients. For the most recent project that I worked on, it is deployed on-premises.

• "The dashboard features and functionalities that come through the MicroStrategy Suite are the most valuable. It can be used by end users with minimum knowledge of the product. They can run a report or create a dashboard on their phones, which is kind of cool."
  • "It crashes multiple times for even small changes that I make on the fly in the dashboard. After doing all the necessary changes, the MicroStrategy desktop or even the web version kicks the users out, and all the changes are lost. This functionality is buggy in MicroStrategy. It is hard to keep track of all the changes that I have done before. I don't want to make copies of each change that I have made because I would end up creating a hundred dashboards. It is not feasible in a real environment. I haven't worked on integrating MicroStrategy with the cloud. I am not sure how it behaves in the cloud, but I have heard from a few of my friends that there are some hiccups when you kind of sync to the cloud through MicroStrategy."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate MicroStrategy an eight out of ten.
Partha-DWBI Analytics Expert
Principal Co-founder at Enterprise BIDI Solutions
Reseller
Dec 5, 2020
Business Intelligence & analytics tool--Microstrategy expert review

What is our primary use case?

Design and development of the product lines in the apparel industry with its unit pricing info,customer demographics details,Customer profile,competitor info and analysis over a time period..Store wise inventory details of each product line across the region,state and country level

What other advice do I have?

For an enterprise-wide DWBI implementation, MicroStrategy is a great choice. Evaluate your organizational needs to go in either for on-premises or cloud version of the product to control your project budget.
HP
Hetul Patel
Senior Data Analyst at Charutarhealth Org
Nov 5, 2020
Very stable but needs industry-based tutorials and proper support

What is our primary use case?

We create dashboards and reports for top management.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable.

What needs improvement?

They should give proper industry-based tutorials so that one can learn it easily and implement it based on the requirements. They should give more MMP files so that we can import a whole project altogether and learn from that project.

I have been using MicroStrategy for one year.

It is very stable.

I have been using it only for a year. I am not sure about its scalability. We have ten users who use it in our organization.

HP
Hetul Patel
Senior Data Analyst at Charutarhealth Org
Oct 28, 2020
The potential is there but more assistance is required for proper use.

What is our primary use case?

We use MicroStrategy to create dashboards and reports for our top management. We are still not using it one hundred percent but we plan to be by next year.

• "I haven't come across any bugs."
  • "They should provide more tutorials and include some project files."

What other advice do I have?

To be honest, I regret using MSTR. I think I should have gone with Tablo instead. On a scale from one to ten, I would give MSTR a rating of seven.
See 3 more MicroStrategy Reviews