MicroStrategy Review
The product supports a broad range of analysis styles, but it struggles with schemas other than star or snowflake.

Valuable Features

It’s very scalable, the most scalable BI platform that I know of. By that I mean data scalability as well as being able to support a large number of users. The product is mature and stable. It supports a broad range of analysis styles and presentation formats.

Improvements to My Organization

We have deployed multiple BI solutions using Microstrategy, ranging from standard reports to dashboards to ad hoc analytics.

Room for Improvement

Microstrategy works best against a star or snowflake schema. While in principle it can work with a more normalized data model, it struggles with schemas other than star or snowflake.

Use of Solution

Over 3 years. It had been installed before I started with the company.

Nothing major

Nothing major

The tool itself scales well, however in our experience the scalability of the entire solution is 90%+ a function of the underlying database.

Customer Service: GoodTechnical Support: Good

We used Cognos before. The main reason for switching is that at the time when we made a decision to switch, Cognos was unable to handle the data volumes that we required. Latest versions of Cognos have improved in this respect.

I can’t comment on this because initial setup had been conducted before I joined the company.

Implementation Team

We used a mix of MicroStrategy Professional Services and in-house staff. Their consultants were superb.

ROI

We don’t measure ROI.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It depends on how you count costs and what you include.

Other Solutions Considered

The other option was to stay with Cognos.

Other Advice

Make sure your database design follows dimensional modeling principles. Avoid API-level customizations, they may break when upgrading product versions.