MicroStrategy Review

It offers reports, dashboards and widgets for end users, along with mobile and web access

Valuable Features

• Perfect reports, dashboards and widgets for end users
  • Mobile and web access

Improvements to My Organization

Management can see how the business is going, financial stuff and analyze all sales processes. It is possible to build advanced beautiful reports, decorated with different graphs, charts, which is so liked by management, though this beauty can be infinitely improved, especially in mobile apps. Also, we can present analytics in dashboards, combine elements in a document, animate them, visualize them and more.

Room for Improvement

As an architect and implementation specialist, I think it must improve component integration, troubleshooting and diagnostics.

The evaluation possibilities for developers are very bad. Obtaining the installation key and activation code is a complicated procedure; there are problems with the extension of the evaluation period. Unfortunately, it sometimes takes a long time for customers to understand the benefits of the product and in this way, MSTR is less convenient for developers.

We had some problems with EM statistics ETL, Architect, and Operations Manager.

Use of Solution

I have used it for two years.

I have encountered stability issues: unstable Architect mappings, IS crashes without diagnostics, and so on.

I have not encountered any scalability issues, because we did not risk using it for large projects. We use Oracle BI instead.

Technical support is a six out of 10. For example, MicroStrategy closed their office in Russia. Before that, customers could solve problems with the product through us, due to the lack of a Russian-speaking support line. After the office closure, they simply did not renew support.

Initial setup was relatively straightforward. However, beginner users can suffer from a lack of information and help from the community after using Oracle products.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The product has a nice price.

Other Solutions Considered

Usually, we use Oracle BI, MSAS or Pentaho. For only two projects, MSTR was the best choice for our customers. We also can use SAP BO.

Other Advice

Read the documentation, have patience and good luck in looking in the knowledge base.

4 Comments
Orlee GillisConsultant

Have the end reports' option for end users impacted your own successes/experience with the product?

31 October 16
System Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employeesReal User

No, i don't think so. But customer satisfaction certainly is good for project in whole .

Orlee GillisConsultant

Great. Do you have any other advice for other community members that use or are considering using the solution?

Orlee GillisConsultant

Did you find everything you need(ed) in the documentation/knowledge base?