MicroStrategy Review

Provides enterprise reporting, mobile access, and customizable dashboards. The development environment could be simplified.

What is most valuable?

• Enterprise reporting
  • Mobile
  • Distribution
  • Dashboards

Most of our customers for whom I implemented the solutions were interested to see the level of detail. However, due to a couple of weaknesses we get from this tool, this was a bit painful.

How has it helped my organization?

We do consulting and Implementation of solutions to many industries like retail, distribution, manufacturing, oil & gas, wholesale, etc. Most of the solutions require the end reporting to be apt and simplified in nature. MicroStrategy’s built-in solutions help a very reasonable amount of customers. As they require customization, developers are required to use the desktop client. That is not simple.

What needs improvement?

Simplify the development environment and improve the visualizations.

I have been using MicroStrategy for one year and three months.

We have not had stability problems.

We have not had scalability problems.

I rate technical support 2.5/5.

We did not have any previous solution.

Setup was pretty much straightforward.

Licensing is completely dependent on the number of architects and developers the organization requires. The pricing is reasonable when compared with other industry leading tools.

We evaluated Oracle BI, Microsoft BI, Tableau and Cognos.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend that they evaluate the in-built dashboards, test them with sample data and see how dashboards best fit your needs. As the development or customization of this tool is a crutch, people do not prefer to get into this technology.