MicroStrategy Review

Object sharing helps the end user with self-service reporting.

What is most valuable?

• Sharing objects, which helps the end user with self-service reporting.
  • Security filter controls the data-level security in the report for sharing with more than one partner.
  • Access Control List controls the object-level security for accessing by user.
  • OLAP functionality:
    • Multidimensional analysis: OLAP helps the user gain an insight on the data coming from different sources.
    • OLAP helps faster execution of complex analytical and ad-hoc queries.
    • Allows trend analysis periodically.
    • Drill down abilities.
  • MicroStrategy Desktop is one of the popular analytic tools that can be migrated to a server for publishing for other users.

How has it helped my organization?

• * Reduced IT dependency. *
  • Using template
  • Users (Business Analyst) are using this canned report template for their reporting based on their info and save that report in their own folder. And they are using subscription to deliver that report to their stakeholder.
  • Allowing user to create report from scratch. Train them what to use and what to not use. Once they familiar these then they don’t dependent on IT.
  • Introducing the Dashboard; provide enough information in the dashboard. Once user started using those dashboard then they don’t dependent on IT.
  • Now most of the request from users like below;
  • - New metric (custom metric)
  • - New filters (custom filter)
  • - Complex reports where they can’t create by themselves.

What needs improvement?

• MicroStrategy Desktop: Personal analytical tool that helps users to do their analytical work using multiple sources of data. However, this tool needs to improve to add more analytical functions, and an easy solution to use third-party graphs and maps.
  • Multi-level security: Currently, MicroStrategy provides multiple ways of access (Standard, Windows, Database, LDAP, etc.) the MicroStrategy tool (use either one of them), but not combined solutions.
  • Big data solution: Currently, MicroStrategy is providing a very good big data solution for MicroStrategy Desktop but not an easy server-level solution.

* Reduced IT dependency. *

n Using template

o Users (Business Analyst) are using this canned report template for their reporting based on their info and save that report in their own folder. And they are using subscription to deliver that report to their stakeholder.

n Allowing user to create report from scratch. Train them what to use and what to not use. Once they familiar these then they don’t dependent on IT.

n Introducing the Dashboard; provide enough information in the dashboard. Once user started using those dashboard then they don’t dependent on IT.

Now most of the request from users like below;

- New metric (custom metric)

- New filters (custom filter)

- Complex reports where they can’t create by themselves.z

We have been using the solution for about eight years.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

I would rate the technical support as about 7/10.

We were previously using Crystal Reports. We switched because of the analytical solution offered with this product.

Initial setup is straightforward. Step-by-step configuration information has been provided by the vendor.

I would advise others to go for the Named User license instead of the Server Level license initially. License pricing is moderate.

I am not aware of any other evaluated solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it.