MicroStrategy Review

We can create a single report/dashboard from multiple data caches (Cubes)

What is our primary use case?

Predictive analysis with R, reporting and dashbaords.

How has it helped my organization?

With the advent of the partitioning concept in Cube partitioning, predictive analysis with visualizations, our organization is able to win back customers and customer appreciation.

What is most valuable?

• Its Cube performance
  • Can be easily integrated to D3
  • Can be easily integrated with third-party tools/products

What needs improvement?

Data writeback, and on-the-fly predictive analysis results from R and Python.

Three to five years.

Cube publish time exponentially increases with MicroStrategy Cube size. Also, it has been observed that the Cube data gets unloaded from MicroStrategy's Cube cache resulting in reports and dashboards being impacted, having no data when executed.

With Cube partition (v10.1 and above) scalability has not been an issue, but the Cube publish time, and temporary space consumption while the Cube is being published, has almost doubled during implementation of Cube partition.

I would rate tech support seven out of 10, in terms of response and issue resolution.

We used SSRS reports, but the performance and visualization were always an issue.

Initial setup is bit of complex, this being an enterprise tool. It has three main components: Desktop, Web development, and Intelligence Server, and each has to be installed separately.

Before going ahead with MicroStrategy, we evaluated Tableau and QlikView, but in terms performance, data handling, and stability, we found this product scored highest. In fact, Tableau and QlilView are less stable and in no way match the Cube (cached data) functionality offered by MicroStrategy. A single report/dashboard can be created by pulling information from multiple cached data (called Cubes).