MicroStrategy Review

The Repository enables us to develop something once and use it anywhere

What is our primary use case?

I'm a system implementer, so I implement the system for customers. I implement whatever the customer needs at their site. It's generally all the BI information that they have in the data warehouse.

Its performance is very good.

How has it helped my organization?

Users are getting their reports when they need them.

What is most valuable?

The whole Repository side of things is beneficial because you develop it once, and you can use it anywhere, in the Enterprise grade.

What needs improvement?

If you compare it with Power BI with the DAX language, it would be great to put that into MicroStrategy.

More than five years.

It's pretty stable.

The scalability is excellent.

I would rate technical support at seven out of 10.

The choice was political: IBM Cognos against MicroStrategy, and due to IBM internal mechanisms.

My criteria for selecting a vendor are, first, that the application software works, and secondly, the support - and local support as well.

I was involved in the initial setup and it's pretty complex, but it's very powerful once it's set up.

Pricing, in general, is high. With Power BI, you get mobile with the license, whereas with MicroStrategy, you have to purchase mobile for extra.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for enterprise BI, go for MicroStrategy.

I would give the tool an eight out of 10. The local office would get a two out of 10. But the tool itself is just a good enterprise-grade tool.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Consultant-implementer.