MikroTik Routers and Switches Review

Stable with good routing features and a large amount of online documentation

What is most valuable?

The routing features are the solution's most valuable aspects.

What needs improvement?

Next year, we are planning to buy a hardware firewall from Sophos. The firewall and the VPN features in MikroTik are a little bit hard to set and are not user-friendly in terms of configuring those features.

The protection of the web servers, VPN, and spam mail management, will be better in the Sophos model which we want to buy. We'll still use MikroTik for routing between our objects, however, for the main firewall features and VPN features, we want to use something more specific for this job.

There's a new VPN protocol called WireGuard. It's very good to implement MikroTik in the router as firmware. It is more configurable, with WireGuard. It's very practical.

We've been using the solution maybe for five or six years at this point.

The solution is extremely stable. We don't have issues with crashing. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's good.

The solution is very scalable. If a company needs to expand it, they can do so easily.

Ultimately, the whole company is using it as it s is the main router for distributing internet services.

We don't use technical support. If we need to troubleshoot, we tend to get our answers from the internet. We have access to forums and we have a lot of local technical support and knowledge. It's not official technical support. It's from the providers.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup can be a bit difficult. The configuration can take a lot of time. We only have one person in our company that can do this. It's somewhat impractical. If he's not at work, we can run into issues.

The pricing is very reasonable. It's not too expensive.

We're currently looking to replace some aspects of MikroTik with Sophos and will use Sophos next year as the main firewall.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

Originally, we had little MikroTik routers installed at first. Afterward, we bought a cloud core router and we've had that at this point for six or seven years.

We use the solution both at our company and for our clients.

I'd advise new users to take some time and learn about the configurations. They need to be prepared for a bit of a learning curve when it comes to implementation. However, after that, it's not a problem to use it.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

More MikroTik Routers and Switches reviews from users
...who work at a University
...who compared it with Cisco Enterprise Routers
Learn what your peers think about MikroTik Routers and Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.