Mule ESB Review

Some of the valuable features are parallel processing support and integration with other products.

What is most valuable?

• Salesforce connector
  • Enterprise JDBC
  • SAP connector and other connectors like FTP and SFTP
  • Parallel processing support
  • JMS integration

How has it helped my organization?

We are a technology consulting company specialized in Systems Integration using Mule ESB. (www.app-integrators.com)

Through App Integrators, we have integrated disparate Enterprise Applications for different customers across the globe. Most of our integrations for clients are:

• Hybrid Integration Model: On-premises and cloud based applications
  • Large volume data handling: Handled batch applications supporting up to 20 million records to Salesforce.
  • Support for Enterprise Batch Applications: We have used Mule ESB for running 120 batch applications on different scheduled intervals.
  • SAP based Integrations with manufacturing systems

What needs improvement?

• SOA governance of ESB
  • Versioning and exception handling
  • Easier development
  • Documentation/good design guidelines are not sufficient

I have used this solution since 2012.

There were stability issues. It is very complex to set up an Enterprise grade application and it is not easy to use.

Like a typical Java application, one should know how to tune a Java based server.

However, we have experienced issues when handling massive volumes of 20 million records to Salesforce (from on premises systems). We also experienced issues when we executed batch jobs of up to 120 jobs in a cluster of Mule ESB instances and when handling large volume of data (in the millions).

Nevertheless, many connectors like Enterprise JDBC and DataWeave support the streaming of data.

Technical support has been excellent. They are very helpful through their customer support tool and/or through their forums.

We used Oracle OSB before and some of our clients used TIBCO middleware or Java CAPS.

But we suggested that clients switch to Mule ESB due to:

• The lower licensing cost
  • The availability of cloud connectors
  • CloudHub platform (supporting iPaaS)
  • A suite of 110+ connectors to use.

It is complex to set up because any Enterprise grade middleware needs hardening. This is why we need to set up clusters, integrate with source control tools for continuous integration in different environments like DEV, QA, TEST, and also consider firewalls and internet security.

So other than a DEV Server, the setup is not straightforward. It depends on the organization security/development methodologies and policies.

It is cheaper than competitors in pricing and licensing. We have an open source option available as well.

Most of the licenses can be added as entitlements on top of a basic Enterprise license. Licenses are renewed every year and there is no perpetual license.

We evaluated Oracle ESB, Apache Camel, and ServiceMix.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution due to its support for multiple integration options.