Mule ESB Overview

Mule ESB is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top ESB tools. It is most often compared to webMethods Integration Server: Mule ESB vs webMethods Integration Server

What is Mule ESB?
For companies looking to modernize and unlock the value of existing on-premises systems and applications, an enterprise service bus (ESB) architecture serves as a critical foundation layer for SOA. When deployed as an ESB, the Mule runtime engine of Anypoint Platform combines the power of data and application integration across legacy systems and SaaS applications, with a seamless path to the other capabilities of Anypoint Platform and the full power of API-led connectivity.
Mule ESB Buyer's Guide

Download the Mule ESB Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Mule ESB Customers
Ube, PacificComp, University of Witwatersrand, Justice Systems, Camelot
Mule ESB Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Mule ESB pricing:
  • "The licensing is yearly, and there are additional fees for services."
  • "The various features and components for this solution are no longer free."

IT Consultant at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to implement and supports platforms like Windows, Linux, and Mac

What is our primary use case?

I'm a consultant in a bank in Kuwait. I suggest good products for companies that are seeking my advice.

• "The most valuable feature of Mule ESB is data transformation, i.e. our interacting with different systems and orchestrating for our business needs."
  • "Mule ESB is more into the latest REST APIs, not much into the SOAP web services. Developing is all about web services and not easy with Mule."

What other advice do I have?

My opinion is that Mule ESB depends on the business and the continuity of their enrollment. If you are a system that has not much left to repair, then your products and your APIs are assets within your organization. Here in the bank, we are facing different kinds of issues when we are integrating different systems: * We are communicating with different card carriers like Mastercard and Visa. * Their standards are different according to the client requirements, i.e. exactly what kind of card they're looking for. * They can get the products according to their requirements as well as their…
Software Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Powerful data transformation capability and good support through community forums

What is our primary use case?

We are using the on-premises version of this solution.

• "Once it is started, we don't see any problems on a day to day basis."
  • "We would like to have a built-in logging framework in which we can do auditing."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others who are implementing this solution is to first become acquainted with the forums. There are always reports coming out about the software, and new technologies. The next thing is that I would suggest always starting with the latest version. Older versions are available, but you should install the most recent one. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Mule ESB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
502,335 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Well performing and easy to use solution

What is our primary use case?

We implemented the Mule solution for our orchestration. We use it to follow up with the customer so the online order gets orchestrated to the target automated system.

• "What Mule provides out-of-box is a sufficient product."
  • "There are limitations with the subscription model that comes with the product."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Mule ESB for others to evaluate when they are choosing a product. On a scale of one to ten, I would definitely rate Mule ESB an eight. For it to be a higher rating they would need to improve the recording logs and encoding feature.
PD
Director - Projects at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Provides many connectors to facilitate integration, and helpful community support is available

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT consulting company and we have built our security on Mule ESB. We work for different customers for whom we develop projects for application integration using MuleSoft. Our use cases involve connecting backend systems like Salesforce, SAP, and other custom applications. We also expose these APIs to external customers. We have also integrated it with a system of engagement, for example, Qooper.

• "The most valuable feature for Mule is the number of connectors that are available."
  • "MuleSoft is not so strong in method-based integration, so they're not so functional in that regard."

IR
Consultant, Architecture and Standards at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good data transformation and formatting features, but it is not easy to troubleshoot

What is our primary use case?

It's used for regional implementation, where several systems are integrated and contributing to a central on-premises system.

• "The transformation and the data format are the features that I like the most."
  • "It's not easy to troubleshoot and we still can't make it work."

What other advice do I have?

It's definitely allowed us to develop everything but we are stuck in testing. It works then it stops working, and now we are trying to figure out why. It's not related to the software but related to the teams that work with it. It's a new technology for us. I am still trying to discover the benefits. I know that it has many connectors, that it's a tool to integrate with Salesforce. That's when they say we cannot do what we need to without MuleSoft. We didn't use it for that purpose. For our purposes, custom integration as ESB, we are still trying to discover where our benefits are. I don't…
SC
Developer JAVA/JEE, Mule ESB at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Integrates well with Salesforce, but needs support for more datatypes and file formats

What is our primary use case?

We use Salesforce to store the most valuable information in our system. We have many clients that request this data, and we send it to them using the Mule ESB solution.

• "The most valuable feature is the Salesforce integration."
  • "The Anypoint platform consumes a lot of memory, and it would be great for developers if it were more lightweight."

What other advice do I have?

I will soon be migrating to version 4 of Mule ESB, although we are also interested in the WSO2 solution because it seems to be very complete. Using Mule ESB does not require somebody to be a Java developer, although there are some Java concepts that you need to know. For example, some people use JSON, and I find that they are scared of Mule ESB because it is based on Java. But really, it isn't a problem if they don't know it. This solution has good performance and support, but not everybody can use it because many of the features are expensive. Especially for application management, it is…
Senior Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Provides excellent connectivity but requires much better stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily provide services using the Mule ESB. We use it to integrate multiple systems.

• "The connectivity the solution provides is excellent. There are often too many systems that we have to integrate and this helps with that."
  • "The solution isn't as stable as we'd like it to be. There are some ongoing issues and therefore Mule has to provide frequent patches. Mule's core IP should be more stable overall."

What other advice do I have?

We're partners of MuleSoft. We provide the solution's service to our clients. The solution would be useful for large organizations. If there are more than three or four systems, and if there is an expansion, it would work best. Small or medium enterprises with two or three systems, may find the solution a little bit unorganized. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. If the stability were more reliable, I'd rate it higher.
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy connectivity which allows for fast integration; lacking some connectors

What is our primary use case?

I used the free trial account to test the product, it allows 10 days free trial. I'm a software engineer and a user of Mule ESB.

• "Easy connectivity and easy integration."
  • "Lacking some connectors that could be included."
See 3 more Mule ESB Reviews