Mule ESB Review

It allows for mappings using a DSL

What is most valuable?

DataWeave: It allows for complex mappings using a simple DSL (Domain Specific Language).

How has it helped my organization?

Integration between systems can often take several days. However, with MuleSoft ESB, it can take as little as fifteen minutes.

What needs improvement?

The CloudHub offering requires some time to mature. However, it is a good overall solution.

Some further details:

1. The AnypointMQ offering is not very stable, as such can cause issues
when dealing with high volume burst messages.

2. The CloudHub offering is EC2 instance based and does not run in
containers.

3. The speed of the CloudHub user interface is poor.

4. Deployment takes several minutes (due to Ec2 architecture as opposed to
containerization).

5. There is currently no cross application object store.

I have used MuleSoft ESB for six years.

CloudHub stability has been an issue. However, this is being worked on.

The product scales very well.

Technical support is superb. The engineers that support customers are Java developers and have a deep understanding of the issues and resolutions. This is one of the biggest selling points for MuleSoft.

Previously, we used Apache Camel and Spring Integration. However, they require more technical involvement than MuleSoft ESB.

The setup is done with a simple deployable .zip file. It is very simple to set up and run.

Pricing is tailored to the customer. As such, I would recommend speaking with your account representative.

We evaluated Dell Boomi, Informatica, and Talend. However, for the given use case, MuleSoft came out on top.

What other advice do I have?

Focus on the business problem you want to solve, as the technical integration in MuleSoft is relatively simple.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a partner.