Nagios XI Review

We can use it to expose custom APIs for our integration, which is a great feature.

What is our primary use case?

Nagios is our cloud-based monitoring system. We need to deploy it and integrate with our CRM, customer portal and the ticketing system as an end to end customer support platform. We use it for monitoring and gathering data from our customer service equipment.

How has it helped my organization?

We have more than 100 people using the solution and 3 people to do the maintenance.

What is most valuable?

Nagios XI has a custom API feature, and we can expose custom APIs for our integration. This is a great feature.

In fact, Nagios XI grant access to administrator to use official common backend commands and callback functions developed by Nagios in custom APIs, so custom APIs could be created as an standard web services without degradation in performance and access to needed data easily. This APIs will be registered and listed in Component Management and administrator could be able to manage them as well. Also, Authentication will be done by creating unique Token for each user created in Nagios XI User Management automatically and it could be used in calling each APIs to manage access level of caller user.

All documentation and examples about creating custom APIs are available in "Help" tab in monitoring GUI and each person with moderate level of knowledge about development in PHP language  (Needless to say it required admin privilege), can create this kind of web services.

What needs improvement?

We often need to develop custom plugins to get Nagios to work the way we want it to work because the features we need are not always available in Nagios. Some products such as Zabbix have a software monitoring system built-in, such as the Prometheus monitoring system. It can use the features to monitor cloud systems. This would be a useful feature to include in Nagios XI. Nagios has some plugins to monitor clouding systems, but this feature on Zabbix is so handy and so user-friendly. I think it can be added to the Nagios monitoring system.

Nagios is stable, but we are using mod-Gearman for distributing the solution. There is network limitation on this, such that if the network is not stable, the whole solution is also, not stable.

Because we are working in Iran, we have embargoes, and this means we don't have any support from Nagios support. As a result, we have to use self-study. We research using Google and nagios forum this has helped us to resolve our issues.

Set up in Nagios is complex. However, it's okay once you have done this task a few times, so you understand the logic. Once you have done that, it is easy to use.

We also compared the product to Zabbix.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution because it's so powerful with no limitation, especially when using the XI version. I would rate Nagios 8 out of 10. Overall, I find it to be a very good solution.

More Nagios XI reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Pandora FMS
Learn what your peers think about Nagios XI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.