Nagios XI Competitors and Alternatives
Read reviews of Nagios XI competitors and alternatives
IT Operations Manager at a university with 10,001+ employees
Real UserTop 20
Jun 29, 2020
Clear escalation chains mean the right people are alerted, decreasing resource usage and helping with planning
What is our primary use case?We use it to make sure that proper tuning is done for the existing monitoring. In addition, our university has a number of schools and each is a customer of the main IT organization that manages and provides support for all the colleges, like the law school, the business school, the medical school, the arts school, etc. The goal, and one of the main use cases that we were planning and thinking about, was to be able to onboard all the devices, all the applications, all the databases, as required by individual schools. We also wanted them to be able to create their own dashboard, tweak it… more »
Pros and Cons
- "Another feature from the technical aspect, the back-end, is the ability to allow individual users or customers to have their own APIs. They're able to make changes using the plugins covered by LogicMonitor. That is a very powerful feature that is more attractive to our techno-savvy customers."
- "The dashboards can be improved. They are good, but there is a pain point. To show things to management, to explain pain points to other customers, to show them exactly where we can do better, the dashboarding could be better. Dashboards need to show the key things. Nobody is going to go into the ample details of Excel sheets or HTML."
What other advice do I have?For the initial phase, rather than having only one or two functional guys participating, it's always good to have one or two technical folks in the discussions. That helps a lot. You don't want surprises if an organization decides to go live with this tool, and then realizes that technical things are not on board with the ideas of the functional team. That's something I can say based on my journey and experience. Another thing that is important is to keep on having internal conversations; that you value and give importance to everybody. It's good to educate them. Use the help of the…
Senior Systems Administrator at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Advanced analytics enable us to look at trending and detect where there are issues or potential issues
What is our primary use case?We're using it for monitoring and managing all of the NetApp storage in our environment, both in the cloud and on-prem. We are expanding it to use it with our virtualized environment and with our in-house storage environments.
Pros and Cons
- "Among the most valuable features are the queries and reporting that allow us to look at the utilization of resources, at how well the storage is performing, and to report on which resources are being used by which business units. We can track usage across the entire environment, across applications, business units, cost centers, etc."
- "There is room for improving the creating and managing or modifying of reports. That is still a difficult task to do and requires knowledge beyond the storage itself. I would love to see reporting improved so that we can create reports by dragging and dropping pieces into a report form and publish a report that way."
What other advice do I have?My advice would be to take a look at it, do a PoC, and see all the value that it can add, and all the power that it provides. We rely on it to manage the storage, to look at trending, and determine where we're going to have problems. We can deal with things before they become problems. That's probably the most powerful thing that we get out of it. I don't think a day goes by that we don't utilize it.
IT Analyst at Hawkbridge Consultants
Real UserTop 20
Sep 23, 2019
Has a lovely graphical interface, it's easy to use, has powerful reporting features, and excellent support
What is our primary use case?We use SolarWinds as a core tool to monitor our internal infrastructure.
Pros and Cons
- "In terms of the implementation, we've actually used SAM, the server and application monitoring tools. The network configuration tools are very useful in terms of bulk upgrading switches and infrastructure. Also, the Network Traffic Analyzer was extremely useful to track down errant users soaking up bandwidth."
- "The problem is that SolarWinds is trying to bolt in too much and that can leave bugs, which you have to then sort out, leaving the product unstable. SolarWinds needs to try and slow down and improve the stability of the product, as opposed to bringing out more and more features."
What other advice do I have?My advice to someone considering this solution would be to look on the THWACK forums, which is the SolarWinds community support. It's a user support forum. I'd pose lots of questions on THWACK and I'd take advantage of the 30-day trial as well, which is available for all corporates initially when you want to use a product. You get 30 days free of charge to try out a product without obligations. SolarWinds is fairly competitive. There are lots of tools and products out there so you really do need to look at what options are actually available before jumping in and going down the SolarWinds…
IT Analyst at La Corporation D'urgences-Santé
Real UserTop 5
Jan 20, 2021
Helps me detect where the problem is quickly
What is our primary use case?We use it primarily for monitoring our devices. We also use it for discovery. For example, if a server is down, the first step to take is just go to Centreon and have a look. I installed this solution on my company's local server. It is on the LAN network. There is a plugin for Centreon for connecting and providing visibility to the host.
Pros and Cons
- "Centreon helps me detect where the problem is quickly. When we resolve a problem quickly, this lowers our overall costs."
- "Opening a ticket on the website of Centreon can be difficult for my colleague, but not for me because my English is good. However, my colleague doesn't speak English well, as our company is in Quebec and our first language is French."
What other advice do I have?The solution is very good. I would rate it as a nine (out of 10).
Engineer of Telecommunication at Gold Telecom
Improved design, easy to learn, and open-sourced
What is our primary use case?I use the solution for network monitoring. When I was in engineering school I used this solution and I found it really good. I wanted to bring the functionality of this solution to my community to show the engineers in my enterprise. There is not a lot of understanding of network monitoring and I am hoping to bring to them my knowledge.
Pros and Cons
- "The solution's design has recently changed and it is visually pleasing with more color, for example, there is blue, black, and white."
- "When using this solution in enterprise monitoring, you are able to see that there are some issues with equipment that could be causing a problem. Sometimes you want to make a root command that you do not want to be executed automatically. What we have tried to do is open an SSH session directly from the solution's interface but it is not possible."