Nagios XI Review

It has somewhat helped improved the workflow and technical processes with regards to response times. A better multi-tenant environment would be ideal.

What is most valuable?

It has a wide variety of plugins in existence, but when there's no plugin available it is quite simple to integrate one's own programs and scripts.

How has it helped my organization?

It has somewhat helped improved the workflow and technical processes with regards to response times, and identify the frequent point of failures so as to architect alternative solutions. Plus all the stuff about SLA is an area that for me that is hard to quantify, but there's a team of accountant types who are dedicated to pulling numbers out of their hats.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to have a better, or alternative, dashboard, à la Thruk, to see business process groupings, rather than just host and services. Tis might give a better visual representation of how the company is performing, and the availability of mission critical services etc.

A better multi-tenant environment would be ideal where certain users have limited visibility instead of just limited functionality.

I've been using it for about six or seven years. We currently have v3.4.1 in production and are currently developing and testing v4.1.1 prior to implementation. Currently, we use various plug-ins including NRPE, NSCA, NagiosQL 3.2.0, PNP4Nagios 0.6.24, NSclient++ 0.3.9, and nagios-plugins 2.1.1.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

We're still experiencing stability issues with regards to collecting performance graphs.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

We migrated away from being Windows centric. Their prodcut, although quite powerful, it was Windows centric and as our fleet of Linux servers increased an alternative was needed to suport multiple operating systems.

The installation and configuration was straightforward and not complex, but rather time consuming as there was no easy method to centrally deploy plugins or agents to hundreds of remote clients. The only complexity that we encountered was in the network configurations for our firewalls and routing.

All work is done in-house, and over the years it seems easier to Google for a solution to a given problem, but often enough a problem will crop up where no-one has yet found a solution. You need to learn to take notes and document everything that you. This may seem time consuming, but it will certainly save a lot more time and work in the future.

What other advice do I have?

It gets the job done, but there's a lot of room for improvement. Make sure that you clearly identify which are the mission critical services and which aren't so as to avoid cluttering the dashboard and overwhelming IT staff with too much information.

More Nagios XI reviews from users