Nagios XI Review

The High Availability Feature Keeps Things Very Stable

What is most valuable?

The High Availablity feature is the most important. I have not seen Nagios crash during the last three years. The Script Module in Nagios is really easy to use and is really cost efficient.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution provides 24/7 monitoring of the IT infrastructure and provides real-time monitoring for the devices, with alerts.

What needs improvement?

The reporting part should be made simpler. While we can obtain all the reports we need, we always have to create work-arounds to get them.

I have used it for the last three years.

The only issue faced is that after 20K services Nagios starts acting weird, due to the amount of checking it does and the amount of data stored in the database.

No, there is no issue with scalability.

As I am working from Asia, and Nagios is based in America, we face the issue of time zones. But overall, trouble shooting and support from the Nagios technical team is superb.

I have worked on various tools in past like Spiceworks, Idera, and ManageEngine. We switched to Nagios for lower cost and good performance.

The setup is really easy and can be done by any non-technical person as well. Nagios also provides an OVF for ESXi and VMware, which has everything set up; makes life easy.

The pricing is really cost efficient. The licensing is perpetual and can be renewed very easily.

We evaluated ManageEngine, Solar Winds, Idera and Check_MK.

What other advice do I have?

The over all performance of the product is superb. Just keep in mind during implementation to keep the hardware strong, according to the environment you are monitoring and based on the check Nagios is going to perform.

1 visitor found this review helpful