Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Review

Helps to test our new applications, do modifications and updates with minimal costs

What is our primary use case?

Oracle offers this solution as Platform as a service (PaaS). The serverless option provides cost optimization to the organization where they can save huge amounts of money, but not require a highly skilled DBA to manage the database.

Oracle controls the entire service, where a customer is only responsible for managing data. All other things are managed and maintained by Oracle. There is no billing when the service is stopped.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution really helps to test our new applications, do modifications and updates with minimal costs and no HW requirements. Autonomous Database (ADB) provides a highly scalable, secured platform. With Exadata on the back-end, we can achieve higher performance, durability, and data security. You can switch off and on the service to avoid excessive cost/charges. It can be easily accessed remotely. Besides, Oracle has a new DC in our region which greatly resolves DB security and other local governance body issues.

What is most valuable?

ADB runs on Exadata technology, which is the proven industry best solution for any kind of workloads. Besides, ADB provides complete automated features, such as, self patching, upgrade, tuning, automated indexing, and automated backups. Also, recovery of the database is easy.

The entire host and DB software maintenance is done by Oracle and automated. Also, it provides Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) capabilities by default to address data security issues. In addition, the connectivity is highly secured.

What needs improvement?

An ADB serverless service provides no control over storage, host, and facilities. One of the major problem is creating custom tablespace. The ADB serverless option doesn't support custom tablespace creation, which could cause issues during on-premise database migration that requires specifically named tablespace. There should be an option to create customized tablespace.

There are many data types and parameters which are not supported. That should be improved a bit so many customers can adopt.

Over six months now.

With different layers of protection, it is highly stable. Besides, you can choose to have a replica at another region or domain.

Considering Oracle Cloud setups, it is highly scalable.

Oracle is responsive towards cloud problems.

We were using on-premises databases for testing new application functionality. This was causing a lot of cost to the organization.

With pre-DBA knowledge, it is simple, straightforward procedure.

In-house team.

High.

We discussed other cloud solutions, but the Oracle offering was cost optimized.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend it for companies who want to test their application functionality, dev, or test DBs for cost optimization.

With existing DBA knowledge, it is easy to manage and migrate a database to ADB.

Other
More Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
524,194 professionals have used our research since 2012.