Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Overview

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Data Warehouse tools. It is most often compared to Snowflake: Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse vs Snowflake

What is Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse?

Autonomous Data Warehouse is market-leading Oracle Database software running on proven Oracle Exadata infrastructure that is optimized to deliver unbeatable performance for data warehouse workloads. Built-in adaptive machine learning eliminates manual labor for administrative management. With Oracle, business and enterprise users can now build their own data warehouse, data mart, or sandbox in a few minutes.

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Customers
Hertz, TaylorMade Golf, Outront Media, Kingold, FSmart, Drop-Tank
Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse pricing:
  • "ROI is high."
  • "You pay as you go, and you don't pay for services that you don't use."

Andrew McLaren
Principal Consultant at DXC
Self-patching means I generally don't need a DBA; detailed analytics make it very capable

What is our primary use case?

Oracle Autonomous is a self-repairing version or cloud-based version of the Oracle Database. I typically use the new Data Warehouse capacity so I'll use it if I'm building anything connected to finance, HR, plus any of the standard business products. We also use it for other Oracle products if they're cloud-based; such as with ACM and all their other ERP tools, where the data resides on ADW. We're a consultancy so we partner with Oracle as well as other companies. I'm the principal consultant of the company.

• "Self-patching and runs machine-learning across its logs all the time"
  • "Ease of connectivity could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

It's worth looking at what Oracle has available because their ETL tool, for example, which is called ODI, Oracle Data Integration, is free if the target of the platform is Oracle ADW. So you can build an entire ETL or ODI process on a very capable tool and not have to pay for that tool if the target is an ADW database. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
JA
Head of Data and Analytics at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good integration with decent stability, but has a complex setup

What is our primary use case?

We used to report all reports from Oracle. We centralized all the connections in the data warehouse, and we have a business intelligence team that makes all the reports for the company. The database connects with Power BI to show the dashboard to the management team.

• "The solution integrates well with Power BI."
  • "The initial setup was pretty complex. It was not easy."

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users of Oracle. We don't have a business relationship with the company. I'm not sure of which version we are using. I don't know the version number off-hand. In general, I would rate the solution seven out of ten. It's okay, however, the company has shown interest in moving away from on-premises in favor of some type of cloud solution.
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Syed Jaffar Hussain
CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Helps to test our new applications, do modifications and updates with minimal costs

What is our primary use case?

Oracle offers this solution as Platform as a service (PaaS). The serverless option provides cost optimization to the organization where they can save huge amounts of money, but not require a highly skilled DBA to manage the database. Oracle controls the entire service, where a customer is only responsible for managing data. All other things are managed and maintained by Oracle. There is no billing when the service is stopped.

• "It provides Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) capabilities by default to address data security issues."
  • "One of the major problem is creating custom tablespace. The ADB serverless option doesn't support custom tablespace creation, which could cause issues during on-premise database migration that requires specifically named tablespace. There should be an option to create customized tablespace."

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend it for companies who want to test their application functionality, dev, or test DBs for cost optimization. With existing DBA knowledge, it is easy to manage and migrate a database to ADB.
KR
Information Technology Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Notable performance and scalability, priced reasonably, and you only pay for services that you use

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used for bigger projects that involve a large number of transactions. For companies with these requirements, it is perfect. At this point, we don't have any customers on this platform because, unfortunately, in our country, we are still lagging behind when we talk about the cloud.

• "The performance and scalability are awesome."
  • "It is very important the integration with other platforms be made to be as easy as it is with an on-premises deployment."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I am quite happy with this product. I recommend it to my customers and I will continue recommending it to others. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
JV
IT Administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, with good analytics, but needs to offer support for the R language

What is our primary use case?

We're currently using the solution to move data from legacy systems to the cloud.

• "The analytics have been very good. We've found them to be quite useful."
  • "Sometimes the solution works differently between the cloud and on-premises. It needs to be more consistent and predictable."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure if I'm capable of giving advice to anyone as it's a solution that's so new to us still. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
MichaelBeeck
Technology Evangelist, CTO, Entrepreneur with 1-10 employees
It is a good data management system and the setup is easy and straightforward

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is as a data management system for analytics.

• "I really like the auto-tuning, auto-scaling, and the automatic load balancing and query tuning in the system."
  • "I would like to see an on-premise solution in the future."

What other advice do I have?

I would like to see an on-premise solution in the future. There are other very good solutions in the market, so if I would rate it a ten, it would be the best in the market. I, therefore, rate this solution an eight out of ten.