Oracle Identity Governance Review

It replaced the old Oracle SSO and OID, helping us save on support for off-the-shelf products. I would like to see a better installation process.

Valuable Features

• Oracle Identity Federation
  • Oracle Internet Directory (LDAP)
  • ODSM
  • OIM
  • OAM
  • Oracle Virtual Directory

Improvements to My Organization

Also, it easily integrates with other applications, even with custom apps.

Room for Improvement

• Installation process
  • Technical support
  • More relevant documentation about specific parameters (as I still have no clue what they are responsible for)
  • Better documentation for HA and clustered setup especially with F5 Load Balancers

Use of Solution

We've been using this solution for more than two years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

We had some small issues with stability, particularly with memory leaks in some functions of this product. However, Oracle came up with the right patches.

We've had no issues scaling it for our needs.

4/10 for Australian customer service. It seems like Oracle customer service does not know its product as well as I know it.

4/10 for Australian technical support. I noticed that US technical support is quite knowledgeable, so I recommend asking for support only from Europe or North America as they have good engineers there.

The initial setup was complex, as any enterprise identity management product would be. First, it's not clear what to download from Oracle e-delivery. Secondly, it's not one product but a complex, multiple-component system. We have to first install OID, and then find the right repository creation utility RCU. Apart from this, you need to install SOA first for OIM, and there are multiple patches for the database and infrastructure. Only after all prerequisites have been met is it possible to install.

People from a pure Oracle DBA background can't do this. You need to have all-arounders with knowledge of SSL and PKI infrastructure, plus a little bit of skill with Linux. They also need to have Oracle Database skills and not follow template thinking.

Also, due to the nature of the organization, my employer is paranoid about security, so it is done in a very secure configuration, including reverse proxies, traffic encryption (SSL), and High Availability setup with F5 Load Balancer. It was just really complex.

Implementation Team

It was implemented in-house by two or three experienced contractors/consultants, including myself.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It has many built-in components, and some components, if you don't actually use them, you don't need to purchase them.

Other Solutions Considered

We did not consider other solutions as we needed a certified and supported configuration to perform an integration with Oracle E-Business R12. Also, the potential integration with other identity management systems was a factor.

Other Advice

Just go for it. Stability and scalability are very good. Once installation is done and it is stable, you will not experience too much trouble.