Oracle Identity Governance Review

It provides a centralized view of people requesting access to provisioning.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the comprehensiveness; the whole identity lifecycle management; the centralized view of people requesting access to provisioning, to SLD, and to access review; basically, the whole suite.

The features are there. Oracle has always had a good vision about where the product is going.

How has it helped my organization?

The greatest benefit is increased efficiency so we can manage the identify lifecycle faster and better and so we can govern the access from a central place and make it easier.

What needs improvement?

I would like them to focus on profile-based provisioning and make what we call the birthright access management. We need to have an easier way for people to find out the birthright rules and based on the birthright roles, the people get access they need to get what they want done.

By profile, I'm referring to job profile. Take engineering as example. To do their jobs, all engineers need access to some applications and systems. There are typically multiple engineering teams, e.g. the access needed by network engineering team can be quite different from security engineering, corporate software engineering, and customer facing software engineering. However for each of these engineering teams, people tends to have the same job profile (title, reporting to, department, etc.) and they may require the same access rights to a common set of apps / systems.

I am imagining that users could select security engineering and then a number of access requests could be generated for a list of apps / systems that a typical security engineer needs access to.

But first they need to work out the product stability issues and make it easier to upgrade, support, and troubleshoot; those kinds of things.

Sometimes, it does not meet our expectations in terms of stability. I would give it a 3.5/5 for stability.

Given that it's an OEM product, the scalability is not really a critical factor for us. People can wait for minutes, hours, even days to get access granted. For OIM, it's not really a high criteria.

Technical support is pretty good. The only comment is that it depends on which company you come from. Some companies have great relationships with Oracle's product management, so they can get access to the best resources faster than others. We happen to be one of the customers that have a close relationship with Oracle, so no complaints.

We did not really have a previous solution. OIM has been here for years. Many, many years ago, we had a homegrown solution, but it’s no longer there. For the several past years, I know it's just been OIM.

Initial setup is not a part of my job function.

I just joined, so there's no initiative to reevaluate that part.

What other advice do I have?

I would certainly short list OIM on a list of candidates along with some others in the market. With Gartner publishing every year, you have a good review for all the products on the market. For me, Oracle is at least top 5.

A vendor must have a quality product with easy-to-use features. Right now, user experience is a big thing in the market. Many vendors offer similar solutions. Ease-of-use and the quality of that is the main factor for us.