Oracle Identity Governance Review

We're evaluating it because we need an application to allow role-based access.

What is most valuable?

Oracle Identity Manager is not in production yet. We are evaluating the product. There is a very strong motivation to get it out there into production and there is a need for it. Sooner or later, we will be doing it.

We need an application to allow role-based access. That is our next phase of implementation. We need to get there. Once our current engagements are completed, that will become our number-one priority. Right now, as I’ve mentioned, we are evaluating it. Apparently, it seems like it's meeting our requirements.

What needs improvement?

My pain point was while migrating my current user base. There is a certain point during that phase of the install where, if you get past it and make a mistake, there is no possibility of going back to a point before the mistake was done. If you cross that point, you have to start all over. That was my bad experience. I had to try it over and over to understand the point of failure. I had to do an install eight or nine times to get one right. After that, after I got my first install right, I learned that they have come up with a new mode of install called the LCM, life cycle management. That was pretty impressive. With the lessons I had learned before the LCM and with the new mode of installation, the LCM, I felt the install was, meaning the release, was done really well.

I have been using it for two years now.

Stability is as good as how you manage it. If it is in the hands of a bad administrator, it is only as good as how that administrator is.

As I’ve mentioned, we are still testing the waters. We haven't gone into experimenting how good the scalability is.

A certain team, the A-Team, is fantastic, but it's extremely difficult to reach out to that team. The last time I was in touch with them was a long time ago.

For the first year, I went around and around, and it never went anywhere. We had to escalate it so we could get our access to the right folks. There was also a learning curve, both for us and for the service techs out there who were handling my case. I think they're learning better than I am, because I'm spanned out across to other projects as well. That being their number one priority, I'm hoping that they ramp up at a quicker pace, so that, for the wider user base, it becomes a point of advantage.

1 Comment
JoeValeroReal UserTOP 5

I would be very curious to see what OIM can and will deliver in terms of RBAC...and hopefully, a preview into what Oracle plans to develop for dynamic role based access control.

16 November 18