Jt hjyjg 400x400

Oracle Identity Manager Review
It provides a consistent user interface and technical support is good.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is that it provides a consistent user interface. That's the primary thing, the consistent user interface.

Improvements to My Organization

Over time, it will improve the way my organization functions. We've had some challenges as far as rolling it out, but that's the goal. We have a consistent set of processes, so we need a consistent toolset to be able to disperse across our organization.

Room for Improvement

One of the things they don't have is, they don't provide support for what are called service accounts, non-human accounts, non-human IDs. That's critical.

In addition to that, we have some role mining capabilities that Oracle really hasn't included or defined what they're going to do, how they're going to incorporate that. They've been converging these two products for a very long time, Oracle Identity Manager (OIM) and Oracle Identity Analytics. There's still that component that's still outlying.

We've had some stability issues. We've worked closely with Oracle to resolve them. Just recently, we got performance issues. We're going to the new version. It was released last year. There are about a dozen customers that have it. We've discovered some performance issues. Oracle has worked closely with us. It's gotten to the point where it's ready to go. We're going live with it this weekend, the new version.

Scalability is one of the problems that we've had. Now that we've had it in production, and we have X number of concurrent users, we're having some performance issues. That's what they've helped us with, as far as they’ve given us some patches to correct the issues; it's become a little more acceptable. We're not at end state yet, so that's another thing we're going to continue to work with them on.

We meet often with Oracle. We have, literally, meetings at least twice a week with our technology staff. I coordinate a monthly meeting with some of their executives and our executives. We have a lot of visibility with Oracle. Overall, technical support is very good.

I was involved with the initial setup. It's not so straightforward. It's a very complicated space. It's a complicated tool to implement. There seemed to be a lot more customization and configuration that we needed to do; we initially believed we could just work out of the box.

Other Solutions Considered

Several years ago, I actually coordinated a proof of concept. We looked at several different vendors. We eventually landed with two vendors. We actually had kind of a bake off. Both of the vendors came in. We put them through a series of tests, we had usability tests, scripted tests. We had them demonstrate a lot of their functionality, and then we evaluated them. The OIM product came out on top.

We decided to go with Oracle because, when we did those different types of tests, they scored better than the other provider in all aspects.

When I’m selecting a vendor such as Oracle, it's important for us to make sure that they deliver on time, that they have a solid road map, and that they have the resources to back what they commit to.

Other Advice

I recommend the product. I recommend that they consider pilot rollouts when they go live, not a big bang, so they can gradually understand, once they implement it, what the real impacts are. That's pretty much the biggest “a-ha” that we had. Build the knowledge and understand how it functions, not just based on the documentation, but try it out, test it out, and come into it, eyes wide open.

I don't think there are other products like it out there. Again, there's always room for improvement.