Palo Alto Networks Panorama Review

A good firewall monitoring solution with a user-friendly interface in need of better technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution primarily for monitoring the firewalls that we have. We have multiple firewalls, including a DC firewall, a perimeter firewall, etc. We are using Panorama to control all of our firewalls.

How has it helped my organization?

Whenever we have an issue, we can just monitor the traffic. We can pinpoint problems and know from which firewall they are originating. We also have the ability to analyze the issue to see if it's coming from from the setup side or somewhere else. The solution makes it very easy to monitor traffic.

What is most valuable?

It's helpful that the solution allows us to control all the firewalls from one device. You can check and monitor all the devices also, from one website. It's also got easy troubleshooting capabilities.

The interface of Panorama is very user-friendly. It's easy to find and get information and create reports.

What needs improvement?

It can take a few minutes to test to see if any changes are successful or not. This needs to be improved. A change commit should take a second, not a minute or more.

Panorama does suffer from performance issues, which they need to resolve.

Also, technical support isn't very responsive and could use some improvement.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is pretty scalable.

Technical support is okay. I'd give it a 60% rating in terms of its effectiveness. Sometimes they are too slow to respond.

We previously used Cisco SPD. We switched because Cisco security is very complicated and is very difficult to establish.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's not complex at all. Deployment was only two to three hours in total. For implementation, we only needed three people, including someone from Security and someone from the Network team.

We implemented the perimeter firewall with the help of Palo Alto. The DC firewall we did by ourselves.

Before choosing this solution, we also looked at Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the private cloud deployment model.

I would recommend the solution. It has a user-friendly interface. It's stable. You can easily troubleshoot any issue. You will also get clear information, and, in general, it's a very good product that allows you to manage more than one device from a central interface.

Of course, before you do any change, I would recommend that you back up everything first.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.