QlikView Review

Provides good functionality and a range of reporting to customers

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to provide reporting to our customers. The company works with online solutions for marketing so the customer gets insights about the response to email components and things like that. I'm a freelance database specialist and the company is a customer of QlikView.

How has it helped my organization?

This is a tool with a lot of functionality to provide any kind of reporting to customers, it has a range of solutions. Although some customers would like to use different tools QlikView is what they're used to using.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for me is probably the ease with which you can analyze data by click-through.

What needs improvement?

The user interface of QlikView is old. The provider built a new tool called Qlik Sense. So Qlik Sense is basically the offspring of QlikView. Somehow both are still supported and they've developed new versions for both of these tools but Qlik Sense is basically the restyled version of QlikView. There's a lot of discussion about some features which are difficult to use including the user interface, all look and feel aspects, but I think that will be in the new version. What they could provide is a migration path to Qlik Sense. It's very difficult to do that automatically because it always requires you to check and change some new port. I haven't researched it but I believe that's the case.

I've been using this solution for around six years.

The solution is stable but you need to tweak it once you set it up. The big issue with it is that it's a BI tool, so it's memory intensive and for some calculations also CPU intensive. It means that when it hits its maximum in terms of the resources available it starts to shut down.

The solution is scalable but you really have to keep in mind that it's configurable in application so that if you reach the maximum, you know you need to act on that. Otherwise strange things will start to happen. We had that issue one time, we added more memory and since then we haven't had any issues.

We have an intermediate company which we bought a license from and it provides us with support. Usually they're not very helpful. Either we find the answer more quickly ourselves, or if we can't find the answer, they usually also can't find the answer. So they have to forward it to the QlikView support. I think it's a waste of money.

The deployment on premises is quite complicated. I did it myself but my predecessor neglected to make proper documentation about installation and the solution requires a lot of components on different servers that talk to each other and you need to set firewall settings and things like that. It's quite a big application. They could improve on that and they probably did that with Qlik Sense. There's a lot of manual stuff required which is not really necessary.

We have about 30 users in the company who are really customers. They access the reporting through a web console which sees it in the mail and some of them are external users who developed on the application. My role is more the maintenance of the application itself. I'm the one who installed it and updates the system. It's difficult to know whether our usage will  be increased. This is a difficult year for everyone. If a company has to cut its budget, one of the first things to go is usually marketing.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good product but I would recommend going for Qlik Sense because it has a better future, given that it's basically the new version of QlikView.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

More QlikView reviews from users