QlikView Review

What is most valuable?

• Intuitive data insights and standard reporting.
  • It runs in-memory so you can increase the speed by increasing RAM, depending on your budget.
  • It has its own ETL tool, QlikView Connector.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives intuitive data insights to improve and optimize our global supply chain (help drive and build strategy to improve on-time delivery, reduce quality and damage returns, etc.), with a few simple clicks to drill down to the details (down to the SKU level and call centre conversation details with customers). The dashboard gives management a holistic picture on our important KPIs.

What needs improvement?

• Enhance predictive analytics and big data; this is the future trend.
  • Simpler, cleaner charts and visualization (easier user acceptance)
  • Formatting and repositioning the menu/charts takes a bit long. It does not have drag-and-drop capability like Tableau does.

I have been using QlikView for 2.5 years.

There’s no version control, which means you can't roll back to earlier versions once overwritten/published.

I rate technical support 6/10.

I also evaluated MS BI and tableau. Compared with MS BI, I find Tableau and QlikView have stronger visualization; intuitive data insights; less development lead time - MS BI requires creating OLAP cubes, which takes more time; clearer and simpler charts; and intuitive data mapping/insights.

Initial setup was straightforward.

We implemented it in-house. QlikView is running in memory, so it depends on your organization to achieve the balance between cost of server RAM and performance. Besides, the data quality and accuracy is very important, no matter what powerful visualization tools are used.

Tableau seems to have easier user acceptance than QlikView because of the simpler charts and big data integration, increasing the possibility of helping an organization transform from reactive analysis to predictive analysis.

Server versions are not cheap and pretty similar for both Tableau and QlikView in terms of price. I don't see a big difference; it really depends on your organization's need.

What other advice do I have?

If you have more developers/technical people and want to do more standard reporting without Hadoop, go for QlikView; if you have more business users with some SQL knowledge and would like to do predictive analytics, and integration with big data platform Hadoop, go for Tableau.

More QlikView reviews from users