QlikView Review
It is a highly sophisticated self-service business intelligence tool for developers and analysts.

What is most valuable?

E-T-L, The Extract, Transform, and Loading capabilities of QlikView make it a highly sophisticated self-service business intelligence tool for developers and analysts who desire much more advanced handling of dirty or unconsolidated data. QlikView scripting language has numerous transformation functions.

How has it helped my organization?

As a consultant for my organization using Qlik to design management dashboards, analysis and ad-hoc reports, I have seen the way it has helped many of our clients get the desired reports and analysis for their stakeholders and top directors which would normally take time and more effort to get.

What needs improvement?

The user interface and ease of use takes a bit of a learning curve to pick up. There is no drag and drop functionality at the development stage unlike its competitors. Maybe QlikSense could handle that area.

We have been using the solution for five years.

We haven't yet encountered any issues with stability.

QlikView is a memory intensive application and does sometimes start to weigh on your PC resources. Also you would need to learn some development tricks to manage unnecessary time wasting when loading large database sources, like the use of QVD – QlikView proprietary data format - for faster and efficient loading times.

The Qlik community is very vibrant and you find or get answers to most issues started or any other areas.

We did not use a solution previously.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward for personal use, except when you are looking at deploying the QlikView server which will entail some configuration instructed during the installation process.

QlikView pricing and licensing is on the high side for a small sized company, but it's competitive among its peers.

As a consultant in the area of business intelligence and data analytics I have had to personally evaluate QlikView with other self-service BI tools such as Tableau, Power BI and MicroStrategy.

What other advice do I have?

Invest in the memory and RAM of your PC or server you intend to use for QlikView. Ensure you have all the necessary resources and connectors installed for proprietary databases.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My organization is a Qlik Partner.
2 visitors found this review helpful