Ranorex Studio Review

It allowed us to find critical defects and to automatically execute many scripts, and although I've suggested some improvements to the mobile app, the latest release probably implements them.

Valuable Features

Very easy to learn and use. In my project, other than me, the rest of the team members are college graduates. I learned this tool and trained them, and they were very effective in using this tool and I was able to show the ROI to the customer quickly with a cost effective solution.

This is not as expensive as other tools in the market, and at the same time it supports desktop, web and mobile applications and that, too, is different from the latest technologies.

I told the Ranorex support team that we are learning and using this tool and their support was excellent. In a few cases, they gave us a walkthrough of using the tools as well.

Improvements to My Organization

Even though my team was small and part-offshore and part-onshore model team, and almost everyone was at graduate level, at the end of year one, I was able to show savings of roughly $90,000 for my customer. We were able to successfully deliver the product to the market on time, and we were able to execute several times to find critical defects, and I can’t imagine executing the scripts that many times manually.

Room for Improvement

I have proposed few suggestions to them in the product improvement area. Including, highlighting the exact object/UI where the error occurs, instead of the entire screen capture. A few additional specific technology support that I requested in mobile at the time, and they have probably implemented this in their latest releases.

Use of Solution

We have roughly a year of experience in this tool with different versions & releases of this product.

Not really and there were few challenges in mobile connectivity but got the help from support team and it was fixed then and there.

One of the best tool support teams that I received from any vendor. At the time, there were only few people supporting this tool, but still I was getting a prompt response within 24 hours. Sometimes, I used to get a response in one to two hours and the support person would call me to help me to fix the issue - 9/10.

My customer did not use any other solutions before.

It was straightforward and very easy set up.

Implementation Team

My team implemented it for a customer.

ROI

With a small team of one onshore person and three offshore people, I was able to show the value of $90,000 savings for a project as a POC and the customer is currently using this tool for several other projects in their organization after seeing the ROI for one project.

I got to the break even point in eight months. Based on the number of times it was executed, I believe seven times full regression suite execution and six defect retesting scripts (only for failed scripts) to get ROI. If you use it for bigger project with bigger team, I am sure you may be even able to see better ROI.

To give more specific details, In one year we did the following tasks

• Learnt the Ranorex automation tool
  • Used college grads effectively
  • Understood the application
  • Identified reusable components
  • Designed an automation framework
  • Developed 1386 automation scripts with a team of one onshore person and three offshore people with various complexities of test cases
  • Executed those scripts for each iteration
  • Maintained and modified those scripts for any enhancements or application changes

Other Solutions Considered

My customer wanted me to do the tool analysis and provide recommendations. I evaluated several tools and picked this because it is easy to learn and use, even at graduate entry level college, and I was able to show the value to the customer by running the scripts in ROI. Multiple technology support and very good Object SPY feature.

Other Advice

Like any other automation tools, first understand the application, identify the reusable components, define the automation framework, and start writing the scripts in Ranorex. Don’t directly start converting the test cases to automation test scripts without setting up the framework. Even if you directly convert test cases to automation test scripts when there are changes comes in the application it is easy to fix it in Ranorex than any other automation tools. Very user friendly tool.