SAP Crystal Reports Review

It's easy to use and it provides good connectivity to various databases. The visualization needs work as the look is not very appealing.

Valuable Features

What I like about it is that it's easy to use and it provides good connectivity to various databases.

Improvements to My Organization

We use it for all of our operational and tabular reports.

Room for Improvement

The visualization needs work as the look is not very appealing. The UI definitely needs some updating.

Also, SAP charges an annual maintenance fee. Be careful, too, with the license model. I'd suggest that because Crystal Reports is for tabular reports, use another product for true BI.

Use of Solution

I've used it for 10 years.

There have been no issues with the deployment.

Some reports take a while to be generated.

We've had no issues scaling it.

In my experience, the level of technical support is not good. They are, however, able to resolve issues in a timely fashion.

The initial setup was easy and straightforward.

Implementation Team

Some reports come out-of-the-box within our applications and we built some others. So you could say that implementation was a combination of SAP's product as well as our in-house team's efforts.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Be careful with the annual maintenance fee, and get CPU based report access. Be careful with the license model. This product is for tabular reports, but for true BI reporting, use another product.

Other Solutions Considered

We are retiring Crystal Reports soon, and it will be replaced by IBI WebFOCUS and SQL Server Reporting Services.