StorageCraft ShadowProtect Review

Stable single-server backup, with quick restore and good support

What is our primary use case?

I am a very small organization. I am a single person with a group of clients and most of them are five to ten seats.

I do onsite backups and I deal with ShadowProtect, and a couple of clients have moved up to their cloud solution. I will continue with this type of architecture for the small amount that I do.

We are using this solution almost exclusively for a single-server backup.

What is most valuable?

It's an extraordinary product. We've had ransomware several times over the last few years.

The most valuable features are that it is able to restore quickly and that it is able to virtually restore on Hyper-V.

What needs improvement?

Licensing is an area that needs improvement. I have had six support calls in the last two years all related to licensing because the license would stop all of a sudden.

I have been working with StorageCraft ShadowProtect for a few years.

Everybody has moved to version 6.

It's a very stable solution.

I believe that this solution is scalable, but it an area that I have not exercised.

I have had very little contact with technical support. I tend to work through things myself.

When I have had contact with technical support, I was satisfied. They did a good job.

The learning curve was about 10 years ago.

I guess maybe at first, it was complex, as none of those products were really matured at the time. It was in its infancy.

I don't pay monthly. I purchase the solution outright and use it until the license is done. I get my money's worth.

It is approximately $400 to purchase a virtual service outright.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that you do your backups and backup your backups. Always have multiple backups.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Version 6 SPX
Find out what your peers are saying about StorageCraft, Veeam Software, datto and others in Disaster Recovery (DR) Software. Updated: May 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.