TFS Review

Quality version control, good backlog management, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution mainly for store version control, backlog and product management.

What is most valuable?

Some of the valuable features are version control and the ability to create different collections in terms of segregating the authorization for teams who connect to small projects. The hierarchy they have is nice. The backlog management tool is good, you can manage your product backlog very easily and then assign your comments against it.

What needs improvement?

This solution is quite old and it is already being bundled as Azure DevOps Server.

In an upcoming release, more integration is needed.

I have been using the solution for more than five years.

The solution is stable.

I have found the solution to be scalable. There are approximately ten people using the solution in my organization.

I have used Jira In the past and if you compare Jira with Microsoft, Jira integrates from portfolio to project, to product, to version control management. Everything is linked in Jira. If you have a company portfolio of several programs that someone can see. If your responsibility is at a program level, you can see all the projects under it. You can even go to product backlogs for each program and got the code version control to see the programs being developed.

In terms of Microsoft, they have an organization structure. You can create multiple organizations, but Azure DevOps is only for product management. If you have your project risks and plan, that is outside Azure DevOps. You have to go to a separate tool in Microsoft, which is Microsoft Project. If you want to go to content management, if you stay in Jira you have another tool, which is also integrated into the overall platform, and that is called Confluence Content Management. If you use Microsoft, then either you need to do it on SharePoint or you will be using Teams.

The installation was easy.

We had a team doing the implementation, it was their first time and they did not have any problems. It took less than a week to do the full implementation. The amount of implementation personnel depends on the scope of the operation, but if you just want to get it up and running, then one person is enough.

The price of the solution is cheaper than other competitors and it is a per-user license.

I was using TFS in my previous company, which I recently left. Where I am currently employed, I looking to get Azure DevOps, and there will be approximately 20 to 40 users. It is a bigger project, it has more developers involved. This is where we are right now comparing what to go with DevOps or with Jira, or you can say Microsoft or Jira.

We did evaluate other solutions before this one. Since our use case for TFS was mainly version control. We looked at GitHub and Bitbucket, but I think the licensing model for TFS was cheaper than both of them.

What other advice do I have?

If someone is looking for version control software and product management software today, then I would recommend them to go for Azure DevOps. If they do not have any restrictions in terms of keeping their data on-cloud, then they should go with Azure DevOps Cloud Service, because then you will not have to worry about installing anything on the server. If you want to have an on-premise solution, then you can use the Azure DevOps Server version.

I rate TFS an eight out of ten.

2013
More TFS reviews from users
...who compared it with Jira
Learn what your peers think about TFS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.