TFS Overview

TFS is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Quality Management Tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure DevOps: TFS vs Microsoft Azure DevOps

What is TFS?
Visual Studio Team Foundation Server (TFS) is the collaboration platform at the core of Microsoft's application lifecycle management (ALM) solution. TFS supports agile development practices, multiple IDEs and platforms locally or in the cloud and gives you the tools you need to effectively manage software development projects throughout the IT lifecycle.

TFS is also known as Team Foundation Server.

TFS Buyer's Guide

Download the TFS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

TFS Customers
Vendex KBB IT Services, Info Support, Fujitsu Consulting, TCSC, Airways New Zealand, HP
TFS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about TFS pricing:
  • "I wouldn't say that this tool is cheap or expensive but in the middle."
  • "The price of the solution is cheaper than other competitors and it is a per-user license."
  • "TFS is more competitively priced than some other solutions."

KK
Asst. Vice president, Applications Architecture at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good project management features improve discipline and productivity in our application development lifecycle

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for TFS is for event planning, including things like writing the user story and then assigning tasks to the developers. Another task is writing test cases, then recording test results, and sending bugs to the team members. The third thing is that we use TFS as part of our CICD pipeline. As part of our pipeline, we use it for checking in code and it acts as a repository. This leads to the fourth thing we use it for, which is to move the code from dev to QA to production. Essentially, we establish a complete lifecycle using TFS. We also use it in conjunction with Azure DevOps.

• "The most valuable feature from my point of view is project management, which includes user stories as well as task management."
  • "The user interface could be improved to make it simpler and increase usability."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering TFS is that the suitability depends on what technology you are trying to use. For example, if you're using Microsoft technology then it is better to use TFS. If on the other hand, you are developing something outside of Microsoft, perhaps using an open-source tool, then I wouldn't be able to recommend TFS. Instead, I would choose one of the other many third-party tools that are available. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
PK
Product Owner at PerkinElmer, Inc.
Reliable, good performance, good reporting tools, and useful for managing all of your development tasks

What is our primary use case?

It is mainly for the work item handling, which is the documentation for the development projects. We also use it for requirement handling and then following a project's progress with tasks or issues.

• "The work item feature is most valuable. It allows us to store all product requirements. We can also link the test cases to those requirements so that we know which feature has already been tested, and which one is waiting for testing. We can also couple the code reviews, unit tests, and automated tests into these requirements. It is reliable. It has all the features and good performance. It also has reporting tools or analysis tools."
  • "Currently, we are looking for a solution with which we can incorporate third-party development sites or third-party project teams into the system. Because it is on-premise, it is a bit problematic because we need to have a VPN or something else in the system. A cloud-based solution would be better for us, and that's what we are looking for. Our biggest problem is the external connection, which, of course, is limited by our own IT. It would be good to have some kind of publishing service for this external connection. It might be there, and it might be that our IT is making it impossible for us. Its template editor could be easier to use. Currently, customizing the project templates according to your needs requires some work."

What other advice do I have?

The Team Foundation Server is now called Azure DevOps. We are using an old product. I would advise others to consider whether they need an on-premises or a cloud solution. The on-premises solution requires external developers. They can also look at the cloud option and see which product offering is better for their needs. It is a nice system to have. You get a managed system where you can manage your development tasks easily, and you don't need to keep your own bookkeeping for tasks and backup items. They are already there in TFS. You can just use the system monthly and produce reports out of…
Learn what your peers think about TFS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KH
Program Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Quality version control, good backlog management, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution mainly for store version control, backlog and product management.

• "Some of the valuable features are version control and the ability to create different collections in terms of segregating the authorization for teams who connect to small projects."
  • "This solution is quite old and it is already being bundled as Azure DevOps Server."

What other advice do I have?

If someone is looking for version control software and product management software today, then I would recommend them to go for Azure DevOps. If they do not have any restrictions in terms of keeping their data on-cloud, then they should go with Azure DevOps Cloud Service, because then you will not have to worry about installing anything on the server. If you want to have an on-premise solution, then you can use the Azure DevOps Server version. I rate TFS an eight out of ten.
JS
Business Analyst, Data Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nice dashboard, good task-selection capability, and the option to save pages as favorites is helpful

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Team Foundation Server as part of our development framework. Most of our development technology is from Microsoft and our primary language is C#, although we do have a number of Java programmers as well. We primarily use TFS for managing our resources and scheduling. We can also use it to check to see whether tasks have been completed by the team, or not.

• "The most valuable features are the dashboard and task-selection capability."
  • "The interface can be improved and made more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

There is a gap between project management, agile methodology, and TFS resource management. If they can fill this gap then it would be a great improvement for us and many other companies. My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to keep in mind that using the tool, alone, will not change the way they develop their software. First, they should become familiar with agile methodology, and then they will be able to properly use TFS. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
MP
Test Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable, scalable, easy to use queries, and proper traceability

What is our primary use case?

We use TFS for test management. Our entire project management is done through TFS. We have our test cases uploaded, and we use it for user story tracking and progress tracking. TFS is on our client's VMs.

• "As far as queries are concerned, creating, grading, or customizing the queries as a primary requirement is very easy to do."
  • "The dashboard and the customization of dashboards is an area they have to work on."

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, I would say that TFS is more supportive of a large enterprise. There is a lot of information available online. The suitability of TFS depends on the requirements of the customer. If it is for Test Management, I would say that TFS is a product that they should consider if it's a large organization that has multiple or multi-thread implementations. Overall, I would say it's fine and I would recommend it. I would rate TFS and eight out of ten.
KK
Agile Coach / IT Agile Lead at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good reporting, stable, and priced competitively

What is our primary use case?

At my previous company, I was using TFS for managing projects and code.

• "The most valuable feature is the backlog."
  • "The program and portfolio planning facility can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to use as much as possible, out of the box. Customizing it is difficult. It may not necessarily fit everything perfectly and it can be tricky to scale, but not impossible. There are definitely challenges scaling it. That said, the tool from Microsoft does allow you to do things very differently but try to do it in a standard way first. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Muhammad  Ishfaq
Application Developer at Saudi Credit Information Co. J.S.C.
An easy initial setup with good stability and very good scalability

What is our primary use case?

We are using the core repository for the complete development life cycle.

• "The initial setup is fairly easy."
  • "There should be management of the project built-in."

What other advice do I have?

Overall the solution is good. It's scalable and stable and has been working well for us. Of course, the phased release could be smoother, and it's something they need to improve upon. I'd recommend this solution, even though we do plan to move to Microsoft Azure DevOps. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
PP
Solution Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Intuitive and solid, with very good branching and labelling features

What is our primary use case?

We use TFS for source control and we use code to connect to TFS as well. It's all generated and the normal process for a developer; we take the latest coding, and whenever there is a build required, we get the latest from other developers and carry out the build. We also do branching and leveling. I'm a solution architect and our company has a partnership with Microsoft.

• "Good branching and labelling features."
  • "Integration from Visual Studio could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good tool for core depository, but there are a lot of thing in TFS you can do: You can automate the entire update process. You can run your sprint and everything, it's a good option enterprise wise. Nowadays everything has DevOps so it's a good thing to use. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
See 8 more TFS Reviews
Download our free TFS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.