TFS Overview

TFS is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Quality Management Tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure DevOps: TFS vs Microsoft Azure DevOps

What is TFS?
Visual Studio Team Foundation Server (TFS) is the collaboration platform at the core of Microsoft's application lifecycle management (ALM) solution. TFS supports agile development practices, multiple IDEs and platforms locally or in the cloud and gives you the tools you need to effectively manage software development projects throughout the IT lifecycle.

TFS is also known as Team Foundation Server.

TFS Buyer's Guide

Download the TFS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2020

TFS Customers
Vendex KBB IT Services, Info Support, Fujitsu Consulting, TCSC, Airways New Zealand, HP
TFS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about TFS pricing:
  • "I wouldn't say that this tool is cheap or expensive but in the middle."
  • "TFS is more competitively priced than some other solutions."

TFS Reviews

reviewer1171707
Asst. Vice president, Applications Architecture at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Oct 13, 2020
Good project management features improve discipline and productivity in our application development lifecycle

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for TFS is for event planning, including things like writing the user story and then assigning tasks to the developers. Another task is writing test cases, then recording test results, and sending bugs to the team members. The third thing is that we use TFS as part of our CICD pipeline. As part of our pipeline, we use it for checking in code and it acts as a repository. This leads to the fourth thing we use it for, which is to move the code from dev to QA to production. Essentially, we establish a complete lifecycle using TFS. We also use it in conjunction with Azure DevOps.

• "The most valuable feature from my point of view is project management, which includes user stories as well as task management."
  • "The user interface could be improved to make it simpler and increase usability."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering TFS is that the suitability depends on what technology you are trying to use. For example, if you're using Microsoft technology then it is better to use TFS. If on the other hand, you are developing something outside of Microsoft, perhaps using an open-source tool, then I wouldn't be able to recommend TFS. Instead, I would choose one of the other many third-party tools that are available. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
JAVAD SALJOOGHI
Business Analyst, Data Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 21, 2020
Nice dashboard, good task-selection capability, and the option to save pages as favorites is helpful

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Team Foundation Server as part of our development framework. Most of our development technology is from Microsoft and our primary language is C#, although we do have a number of Java programmers as well. We primarily use TFS for managing our resources and scheduling. We can also use it to check to see whether tasks have been completed by the team, or not.

• "The most valuable features are the dashboard and task-selection capability."
  • "The interface can be improved and made more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

There is a gap between project management, agile methodology, and TFS resource management. If they can fill this gap then it would be a great improvement for us and many other companies. My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to keep in mind that using the tool, alone, will not change the way they develop their software. First, they should become familiar with agile methodology, and then they will be able to properly use TFS. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about TFS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2020.
454,950 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1375878
Test Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 27, 2020
Reliable, scalable, easy to use queries, and proper traceability

What is our primary use case?

We use TFS for test management. Our entire project management is done through TFS. We have our test cases uploaded, and we use it for user story tracking and progress tracking. TFS is on our client's VMs.

• "As far as queries are concerned, creating, grading, or customizing the queries as a primary requirement is very easy to do."
  • "The dashboard and the customization of dashboards is an area they have to work on."

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, I would say that TFS is more supportive of a large enterprise. There is a lot of information available online. The suitability of TFS depends on the requirements of the customer. If it is for Test Management, I would say that TFS is a product that they should consider if it's a large organization that has multiple or multi-thread implementations. Overall, I would say it's fine and I would recommend it. I would rate TFS and eight out of ten.
reviewer1371600
Agile Coach / IT Agile Lead at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 6, 2020
Good reporting, stable, and priced competitively

What is our primary use case?

At my previous company, I was using TFS for managing projects and code.

• "The most valuable feature is the backlog."
  • "The program and portfolio planning facility can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to use as much as possible, out of the box. Customizing it is difficult. It may not necessarily fit everything perfectly and it can be tricky to scale, but not impossible. There are definitely challenges scaling it. That said, the tool from Microsoft does allow you to do things very differently but try to do it in a standard way first. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Muhammad Ishfaq
Application Developer at Saudi Credit Information Co. J.S.C.
Aug 11, 2020
An easy initial setup with good stability and very good scalability

What is our primary use case?

We are using the core repository for the complete development life cycle.

• "The initial setup is fairly easy."
  • "There should be management of the project built-in."

What other advice do I have?

Overall the solution is good. It's scalable and stable and has been working well for us. Of course, the phased release could be smoother, and it's something they need to improve upon. I'd recommend this solution, even though we do plan to move to Microsoft Azure DevOps. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
reviewer1359732
Solution Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Jul 23, 2020
Intuitive and solid, with very good branching and labelling features

What is our primary use case?

We use TFS for source control and we use code to connect to TFS as well. It's all generated and the normal process for a developer; we take the latest coding, and whenever there is a build required, we get the latest from other developers and carry out the build. We also do branching and leveling. I'm a solution architect and our company has a partnership with Microsoft.

• "Good branching and labelling features."
  • "Integration from Visual Studio could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good tool for core depository, but there are a lot of thing in TFS you can do: You can automate the entire update process. You can run your sprint and everything, it's a good option enterprise wise. Nowadays everything has DevOps so it's a good thing to use. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
PauloBorges
Senior IT Professional at Novabase
Oct 10, 2019
Facilitates team collaboration and integrates well with other tools

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for corporate internal SW development of small business applications manly in .NET. I am the administrator and configurator of TFS Servers and other DevOps related tools (Jenkins, Ansible, Nexus, SonarQube). I create the projects and configure the full life-cycle, with a deployment model mainly on-premises for now.

• "I like the build management features and the integration with Jenkins and many other tools."
  • "One of the areas that could be improved is to have an effective full lifecycle management."
reviewer1138779
Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Oct 9, 2019
Good dashboards and Kanban board helps with announcements and collaboration

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is version control. We use it for ticketing protecting particular items, we use the dashboard, and we use the Kanban board where you can put work items. The deployment model that we are using is on-premises.

• "I like the Kanban board. It is very useful in terms of seeing who is working on what and what the current status of work is."
  • "In the next release, I would like them to include integration for various projects, similar to what JIRA has, and they could create this feature on the dashboard."

What other advice do I have?

This solution is simple to learn. It's straightforward and you don't need a lot of time to learn the functionalities. I would recommend this solution. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 7 more TFS Reviews
Download our free TFS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.