TFS Review

It has allowed us to document our requirements, but was difficult to transition into initially.

What is most valuable?

• Product backlog
  • Work items (Features, User Stories, Bugs, Tasks)

How has it helped my organization?

We transitioned into an agile software development shop around 2010. Using TFS allowed us to document our requirements as Features and User Stories on a Product Backlog, which allows all team members to access them at the same time. They can see updates and changes to them in real-time. It also supports our iteration-based development approach effectively, by allowing us to group features, and user stories into iterations, as well as forecast upcoming user stories into future iterations.

I've been using it for five years.

No issues encountered.

Previously we primarily used a waterfall software development methodology, so our move to TFS coincided with a reorganization we went through into an agile shop.

From a project/requirements perspective, transitioning into TFS was fairly straightforward. Instead of creating requirements documents for upcoming projects, functionality was documented as Features and User Stories in TFS. There was a learning curve for the organization as a whole who didn’t have much agile experience to be able to document and read requirements as user stories.

More TFS reviews from users