TFS Review

We use it to perform Continuous Integration, making build operations each night and increasing quality process to prevent code regressions.

What is most valuable?

In our company, we develop software applications. With TFS we can manage the whole application lifecycle with a single product, and it is visible for all the team members.

How has it helped my organization?

I can point to two basic improvements:

1. The project management. Before TFS, we used Microsoft Project and Excel to manage project tasks and release dates (only the Project Manager could do this). Since we adopted Scrum as a part of software development, we needed an agile tool to perform this task. TFS it is a great tool to manage Agile projects because the whole team is kept up to date with TFS burn down charts, release dates and so on, so we eliminated the need for Project.
  2. We can use TFS to perform Continuous Integration, making build operations each night. This increases quality process and prevents code regressions.

What needs improvement?

Continuous integration in most of .NET developments (web and desktop applications) is ease to configure. But in case of other kind of developments (SharePoint or Xamarin) is not so easy, you have to spend a lot of time making customizations. It would be nice to have some integrations tools for this kind of projects.

I've used it for one year.

No issues encountered.

We could find all the required information in Microsoft’s online support (websites, blogs etc.), so I can’t rate the customer service for this product.

We used TFS 2010. We don’t evaluate any other product because we only use Microsoft products.

For our needs, we choose a basic configuration, one single server. In our case it was easy to set up the whole system.

In-house. We have the required people to set up the product on our own, in some cases, it is better to call a vendor team.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Microsoft Partners