TFS Review

It has allowed us to continually maintain our code repository

What is most valuable?

We use the source code repository technology of TFS, we have Git repository in TFS, and also, have TFVC.

Git was introduced starting from TFS 2013. This allowed our team the flexibility on the source control preference.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has allowed us to continually maintain our code repository.

What needs improvement?

The product is mature. We use it as our primary on-premise source control for both Git and TFVC allowing the flexibility for different delivery team to use different source control that best suits them.

We have just recently upgraded to this version of TFS, but have been using Microsoft Team Foundation Server for the last six years.

If your plan on using on-premise, we would recommend you would resource your hardware/VM requirements appropriately to host Team Foundation Server.

There were no scalability issues.

The product is mature, as we’ve upgraded our on-premise Team Foundation we’ve never had to engage technical support, as the upgrade process was seamless barring some minor issues here and there.

There was no issue with the setup or upgrade path as both are well documented.

There is now cloud offering of the Team Foundation Server known as Team Foundation Services for smaller companies/individuals to use, starting out with the free version for five users. I would recommend people review their requirements based on the size and resources; review them with the different offering that is now available from Microsoft.

As the variant of this product was already in use, we followed the upgrade path as we are Microsoft Gold Partners.

What other advice do I have?

Now, there is the cloud offering of Team Foundation Server which is known as Visual Studio Team Services which would suit those who do not want to maintain the on-premise version and is free for up to five users.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Microsoft Gold Partners.