TFS Review

It helps us to manage our Scrum process, as well as continuous integration

What is most valuable?

The scrum template to manage our development process, as well as the continuous build and release functionality.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us to manage our Scrum process, as well as continuous integration, but not much more than the previous product we used (JIRA).

What needs improvement?

Agile metrics/reporting (if you compare it to JIRA's functionality), as well as more/better customizable widgets to create richer dashboards.

I would really like to be able to see things such as cycle and lead times for issues, as well as be able to see the cumulative flow diagram on a dashboard.

We use the on-premise version of TFS, and I see that the cycle and lead time widgets are only available on the Team Services version.

I must admit that I don't like the fact that the on-premise versions are always behind the Team Services version. Do you maybe have an indication of when we can expect to have these widgets available in the on-premise version?

We have been using TFS 2017 for three weeks now. However, we have been on the previous versions (2013 & 2015) for three years.

We have had no need for any technical support so far. Should we require technical support, I don't know if it will be readily available in South Africa.

Yes, we used JIRA. Since we have to pay for Visual Studio, licenses for coding purposes (and these licenses included TFS) it did not make sense to continue paying for JIRA, even though I really liked the JIRA solution.

We got an external consultant to help us with the initial setup so it was pretty straight forward. Since then I was able to make all the required changes.

Pricing and licensing model is still quite complex, as are all of Microsoft's products.

We did not evaluate other options, but like I mentioned, we were using the Atlassian suite of products.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you understand Microsoft's licensing model and that you select the process templates that are most suitable to you when setting up the product for the first time. Different process templates have different reports that you can view.