TFS Review

Installing build agents from a command line makes maintenance easier to manage

What is most valuable?

The ability to do everything outside of an IDE. I can do 99% of everything from a web browser.

How has it helped my organization?

1. Cross platform support is great.
  2. Developing build definitions from within a web browser is fantastic.
  3. Installing build agents from a command line makes maintenance easier to manage.

What needs improvement?

The security model could be more granular.

I have worked with almost every TFS version since TFS 2005.

Some of our build agents will go offline, but we believe this might be caused by the environment, not the product.

None.

Excellent!

We used Visual SourceSafe and it lacked the ability to branch code.

It was very easy to install and setup. TFS has come a long way and so has its installation wizard.

The pricing model has changed several times, even within the last several years, but, I believe, the model is cheaper than before.

We also use Bitbucket, but my focus is TFS, so I cannot comment on that. We also use StarTeam, but we are looking to sunset this product and focus on migrating all application development teams over to TFS 2015 and Bitbucket.

What other advice do I have?

Before purchasing any hardware, you should review all the hardware requirements. Also, plan to scale if growth is expected. Build servers with more than one CPU, if you can have build agents assigned to each processor. For example, if you have a server with four CPUs, then you technically can have four build agents running on that server.