TFS Review

With the build server, I can quickly and easily generate binaries for testing and production environments

What is most valuable?

Integration with Visual Studio (VS): I have used other software management solutions with VS, but TFS is the best at the moment. It offers easy integration with servers and full functionality.

How has it helped my organization?

Another very good feature of TFS is the build server. With it, I can quickly and easily generate binaries for testing and production environments.

What needs improvement?

• Local branching
  • Move folders using drag & drop
  • Better resolve for merging the conflicts tool.

Around eight years.

No. Nothing which I have noticed.

No, but I have never worked in a big company with many developers or projects.

I can't rate. I have never used technical support.

We were using Microsoft SourceSafe, but is unreliable and slow. These issues are enough for anyone decide to change to another software management tool. As we are a Microsoft partner, we naturally switched to TFS and are happy with this solution so far.

Very simple and straightforward, which makes for a very good, first impression.

This is the negative side of TFS; the price is expensive. Microsoft offers VSTS for free if you have a very small company and don't mind to keep your code in the cloud. But if this isn't the case, you have to pay too much for licenses (in the cloud or out of it), especially if your company just needs to track the changes in your code.

No, because we are a Microsoft Partner.

What other advice do I have?

Use the free version of VSTS first, to just to have an idea of what it is. It's even possible to build binaries online.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Microsoft Partner.