WordPress Review

The online store, dynamic shipping cost tables, and invoicing are a few of the valuable features.

What is most valuable?

Once a site is developed using WordPress, it is quite easy to maintain. There is a nice administrative interface that leverages the same data as referenced by the website, but it is crafted with a focus on ease.

How has it helped my organization?

The online store, dynamic shipping cost tables, item bundling, shipping tickets, and invoicing are a few of the features that we utilized via the WooCommerce plugins.

Without having the ability to easily install these plugins, we would have been forced to create them manually. The plugin that was probably the most helpful was the QuickBooks API. This plugin provided a direct connect to our cloud-based QuickBooks solution, eliminating much of the data entry required for bookkeeping.

What needs improvement?

There are limits to some of the features provided within the backend interface, but it is quite powerful for the low cost.

We would not have been able to function without the plugins available through WooCommerce.

Most of the plugins that we installed provided about 85-90% of what was needed. There is limited customization available for these plugins.

Running updates occasionally broke down our website. In these situations, we had to pull backups or contact our website developer for guidance.

I have maintained updates to a WordPress website for approximately two years.

Our WordPress application was more than able to handle our updates.

Online support is about all that we needed for the main application. There was never a need for technical support, as such.

We didn't use another solution previously.

Our website developer installed all of the needed pieces for the application. They did not report any difficulties.

WordPress is very reasonably priced. I would, however, encourage all prospective customers who are interested in having an online store to utilize a reputable web host.

We used the same company that developed our website as our web host. The site performed well at go-live, but began to deteriorate as new features were added. The end result was that our local web host was unable to handle our enhancements.

We eventually migrated our application to Go Daddy to resolve our web hosting woes.

We did not evaluate other options, as our web developer only built sites using WordPress.

What other advice do I have?

You can rest assured that WordPress will likely provide a scalable back end to your website. The only advice that I would emphasize is to spend some time and money on a quality web hosting service.

WooCommerce is a well-known ecommerce plugin provider for the WordPress platform.

We used multiple out-of-the-box plugins from this company to enhance our website.

We leveraged the standard WooCommerce marketplace, Authorize.net portal (allow for credit card payments), QuickBooks plugin (integrate with our cloud based QuickBooks system), shipping ticket and invoicing printing plugins, and dynamic table rate shipping plugin.

There were minor limits to the dynamic table rate shipping plugin so we had to get creative on pricing for bundled products shipping.

The QuickBooks integration was not exactly seamless and required some manual modifications. However, the QB plugin saved a great deal of manual double-entry.