WordPress Review

Lots of flexibility for integrations and ability to create simpler as well as more complex sites

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for marketing our product and make sure we are always able to be found by the right people - converting visitors to leads. Because Wordpress has so many plugins and the ability to integrate different analytics, SEO, and even social apps, we can track all the data we need to make real decisions about page, messaging, blog, content performance.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to manage our website internally, so we don't need to hire a costly web management service to do it for us. It also integrates with a ton of other services (analytics, forms, email lists, CRMs, etc.) that are key to getting the right information and sending it to the right places.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use and the variety of plugins. Because it is such a well-known and popular product, there are a ton of development companies and users creating plugins and solutions for it, which makes it adaptable and easy for people who have fewer technical skills.

With Gutenberg, Wordpress is poised to become even more accessible to the average website manager, so minimal knowledge of css or html is necessary. However, Gutenberg is still very buggy, so be sure to use another builder in the meantime (e.g. Beaver Builder).

What needs improvement?

Because it's such a popular platform, it can have vulnerabilities that you want to be up to date on. Be sure to upgrade to the latest stable version, and make sure you have some security (e.g. iThemes) running on your site.

Three to five years.

We did not encounter any stability issues.

We have not yet encountered any scalability issues.

We don't pay for WordPress technical support. But there are a lot of forums and ways to troubleshoot information for it.

We did not have a previous solution.

The setup was straightforward. You can actually install WordPress directly through your hosting services.

We implemented with the assistance of a qualified web designer who set up the initial site, theme, content, and plugins. From there, we took on the design and maintenance ourselves, with occasional help from a web development agency who assists with projects like migrating our site to SSL etc.

Leads are our bread and butter, and if you are a SaaS company, then you know how valuable your website is.

Even with a brick and mortar company that I work with, the website provides a third of all leads looking for their services.

The WordPress platform is free! But because there are so many paid add-ons, just be sure that what you're getting has been vetted by other WordPress users. if you are looking at a solid and well-documented theme and visual builder, you are probably looking at ~$500.

We did not evaluate other solutions. We knew we wanted this one.

What other advice do I have?

If you are not technically skilled, get someone to set it up for you to make it easy to create and update the pages yourself going forward.