BigFix Overview

BigFix is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Configuration Management tools. It is most often compared to SCCM: BigFix vs SCCM

What is BigFix?

HCL BigFix provides complete visibility and control into all endpoints through a single, collaborative endpoint management platform that enables IT/Security Operations to fully automate discovery, management and remediation of endpoints, whether they are on-prem or in the cloud, regardless of location or connectivity. BigFix bridges the gap between IT and Security Operations, drastically reducing remediation times and costs. With BigFix, enterprises can protect endpoints running Windows, UNIX, Linux, and macOS by achieving greater than 98% first-pass patch success rates and enabling continuous endpoint compliance. Unlike complex tools that cover a subset of endpoints and take days or weeks to remediate, BigFix can find and fix endpoints fast.

BigFix is also known as Tivoli Endpoint Manager.

BigFix Buyer's Guide

Download the BigFix Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

BigFix Customers

US Foods, Penn State, St Vincent's Health US Foods, Sabadell Bank, SunTrust, Australia Sydney, Stemac, Capgemini, WNS Global Services, Jebsen & Jessen, CenterBeam, Strauss, Christian Hospital Centre, Brit Insurance, Career Education Corporation

BigFix Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about BigFix pricing:
  • "You get what we call the Platform Edition, which you get for free. The patch service is maybe $0.50 per workstation per month. Then there's the basic server cost, which is about $1.50 per server per month. You also get into Lifecycle which does power management, OSD remote control, and those types of things, and that might be about 10 times the price - which works out to about $13 per server and, maybe $5 per workstation per month."
  • "The price is very fair."
  • "The price is reasonable, but our customers find it expensive."

BigFix Reviews

FD
Frans Dreyer
Security Solutions Architect at Thuthukani Technology Solutions
Oct 27, 2020
Very stable and easy to deploy with excellent patch compliance

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we've got four big customers, and one is in mining. It's certainly for endpoint management, especially for patch compliance. That's normally our first use case. It's for Windows and Linux patch and patch compliance measurement. That's the biggest use case that we do. The main use for day-to-day operations is patching, and we are averaging 95 to 98% patch compliance, meaning we deployed almost 8,000. We put upgrades now in Africa, which is small. however, has 8,000 to 10,000 endpoints, and we have two people doing that, and it takes us about half a day a month. The second use case is… more »

• "The solution is unbelievably scalable."
  • "They don't have a proper mobile device management capability. They're working on it, however, that's the one thing that needs improvement so that you can have full unified endpoint management."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not using the latest version of the solution. I'm actually using the version before the latest. I would advise that, before you buy the solution, you do a POC. You can do a 48-hour challenge where, if you start at 9 AM, you will be able to give patch compliance by 12 noon (for 1,000 endpoints). You've got three hours to install the product, get it up and running, deploy the agents, et cetera. Basically, take some time to test drive the product. Overall, I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. I think it's a phenomenal product.
Paul Aage Aasheim
Marketing Coordinator and Project Manager at Attend IT AS
Dec 16, 2020
An extrem powerful and lightweight solution that is fairly-priced and has excellent support.

What is our primary use case?

We use the HCL BigFix solution to provide patch-, software- and OS-image distribution services for our customers. In addition endpoint solution avcurat software, ILMT and hardware inventory. Since BigFix is base on the principle of pull, not push the administrators can afford precise information in real time about the status of distribution of patches and software.

• "What I like most is that it is a powerful solution."
  • "They need better integration."

What other advice do I have?

BigFix is value for money - You get a simple, robust, dynamic and very powerful solution for a very reasonable price. Don't for get the hidden cost compared to other tool - How many ports do you need to configure by very expensive network assistant when running SCCM? With BigFix it's enough to open only one port. With BigFix you have a multitenant solution that make is possible for you as an service provider to use BigFix to manage many customers at the same time with same server, without setting up trust between different networks. Because BigFix has it's own secure comminication between the…
Learn what your peers think about BigFix. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
474,595 professionals have used our research since 2012.
NE
reviewer1335204
Technical Support Analyst at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Apr 15, 2021
A stable, scalable, and straightforward product that provides the flexibility to retrieve custom data

What is our primary use case?

We are an MSP, and we use this solution for our customers as well as for our company. I use BigFix for everything. I use it for patch management, software distribution, OS deployment, server automation, and inventory and asset management.

• "BigFix is a great product. The flexibility of putting together your own relevance and retrieving custom data from any one of your agents is a valuable feature. It is one of my favorite features because if a boss asks me, "How many of these devices do we have?", I can put together a report in two seconds."
  • "The only thing that I don't like about BigFix is that it does not support other devices such as printer firmware, router firmware, and things like that. I will be happy if I can control everything and get everything else in there, even if it is just a line item. They can do some enhancements to the Web UI. I am trying to get customers to be able to manage their environment by using Web UI, and it would be good if we can delete endpoints by using Web UI. We should also be able to generate Excel content or data tables from the Web UI without having to go to the console. It is small stuff, and it drives me crazy that I have to go to another console to do these things."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise taking some of the training so that you can use the product to the fullest potential. It is a huge and flexible product, and you can take advantage of a lot of stuff if you know how to do it. If you don't know, you're never going to take advantage of it. I would rate BigFix a ten out of ten.
MP
Mark Poulson
Principle Consulting Architect at GNE
Dec 18, 2019

What is our primary use case?

I support multiple customers who use BixFix for many uses including for security compliance, server automation, remote control, software distribution, patching, etc.

• "One of the biggest benefits BigFix has had for our organization is the ease and efficiency to perform many different tasks, across pillars and platforms, all from one pane of glass."
  • "I would like to see SDK for Web UI included in the next release."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten because there's always room for improvement. I've been working with tools like BigFix for quite a while and it's one of the best tools on the market.
MF
SeniorSod3da
Senior Solutions Architect at Siwel Consulting
Jul 25, 2019
Works well with endpoints, it does what it says it's supposed to do

What is our primary use case?

I primarily consult with other companies for their software asset management purposes. I use BigFix to help deploy the IBM license metric tool and BigFix inventory.

• "The older version of the tools that I use also included the connectivity aspect, and the fact that the tool now has it separate from the collection of usage data makes the deployment of these tools much easier."
  • "I self-taught for this online, so the initial setup was a little difficult to pick up at first. I had to create a couple of testing environments and destroy them in order to learn how to use it. There was a lot of trial and error, a lot of reading of the manuals."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten. I'd give it an eleven but it's off the scale. It does what it says it's supposed to do. Once you get over the learning curve, it is pretty easy to use. Plugging in the endpoints is pretty simple. I would advise someone considering this solution to hands down use it.
Thomas Rabl
IT Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Jan 14, 2021
Easy to create tasks, stable, and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We are using BigFix for software distribution, managing the network for our clients, and for updates.

• "It's easy to use, not complicated."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution. We have sold many solutions for clients. We don't have any project running at this time but expect that to change in the coming months. I would rate BigFix a ten out of ten.
    AshishYadav
    Banker at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Dec 20, 2020
    A stable solution with good support, but it needs to be updated

• "BigFix technical support is good."
    • "The product lacks AI, ML, and IIT."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give BigFix a seven.
    Mathieu FABIEN
    CTO at LE GROUPE NOVA
    Jan 26, 2021
    A security solution with a good lifecycle management feature, but remote installation could be better

What is most valuable?

I like the inventory and life cycle management feature. It's simple to use. This platform is easier than Azure.

What needs improvement?

The remote software installation could be better. I would also like to see mobile device management within the BigFix itself. I would also like to have GlobalProtect management.

I have been using BigFix for approximately three years.

BigFix is a stable solution. You can deploy it and forget about it.

BigFix is easy to scale.

Technical support is very good.

The initial setup is…
    See 2 more BigFix Reviews
    Download our free BigFix Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.