Cisco Umbrella Overview

Cisco Umbrella is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Web Security Gateways. It is most often compared to Zscaler Internet Access: Cisco Umbrella vs Zscaler Internet Access

What is Cisco Umbrella?

OpenDNS provides easy-to-implement Internet navigation and Web security solutions for families, schools, governmental organizations and businesses of all sizes. The services provided by OpenDNS increase the speed of navigating websites and prevent unintended access to phishing and malware sites as well as to any Web content that you configure to be restricted.

Cisco Umbrella is also known as OpenDNS.

Cisco Umbrella Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Umbrella Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: March 2021

Cisco Umbrella Customers

Chart Industries, City of Aspen, Eastern Mountain Sports, FLEXcon, George Washington University, Jackson Municipal Airport Authority, Ohio Public Library Information Network, PTC, Richland Community College, Smart Motors, Tulane University, VeriClaim

Cisco Umbrella Video

Cisco Umbrella Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Tzcheng Kuo
IT Manager at Bureau of Education, Tainan City Government
User
Oct 8, 2018
It has helped reduce my unit's security events

What is our primary use case?

To replace my original DNS servers and configure more than 50,000 computers through domain name resolution.

• "It has helped reduce my unit's security events."
  • "Some countries don't have a DNS server leading to a domain resolution IP, not at a local level."
  • "Its DNS service does not support IPv6 query."
NetworkE6f1e
Network Engineer/ Administrator at Katalyst Technologies
MSP
Sep 24, 2018
Threats never come close to your network with security at the DNS level​

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is security at the DNS level. This solutions was suggested by our account manager at Insight.

• "Threats never come close to your network with security at the DNS level​."
  • "There should be a way to monitor traffic at the user level."

What other advice do I have?

It is a pretty good product for a small business.
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Umbrella. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: March 2021.
466,017 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Joe London
Network Manager at a educational organization with 201-500 employees
Sep 24, 2018

What is our primary use case?

Protection and security provided by using Umbrella are the two top areas that I looked at when considering. With three campuses, Umbrella has proven itself with the detection and blocking of malware, viruses, and preventing users from visiting malicious sites. We have two Umbrella virtual appliances at each campus, with two campuses using Hyper-V, and the primary data center running VMware.

• "​They have a wealth of articles in their knowledge base. This has given me the freedom to troubleshoot on my own time. ​​"
  • "Reports provide insight into internet usage and information helpful in creating QoS rules."
  • "If the virtual appliances could also gather traffic bandwidth reports, that would be great."

What other advice do I have?

Cisco Umbrella's interface is easy to use and the visibility of user activity is extremely useful.
BrandonBaker
Lead Enterprise Security Architect at ResCare
User
Jul 1, 2018
Reporting is simplistic. Needs better integration with external threat feeds to improve scoring.

What is our primary use case?

We are in trial mode and use it for a distributed national environment. It provides category and security coverage for endpoints regardless of their location. As a mobile-first workforce, Umbrella always provides DNS-based security, even if endpoints roam in unfriendly waters.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides centralized, device-agnostic management of the Internet experience. It has the ability to quickly block new threats.

What is most valuable?

Holistic approach DNS fronts most traffic. Quick console Instant management across platform Reporting is simplistic.

What needs improvement?

It needs better integration with external threat feeds to improve scoring.  I would like it to automatically feed to the customer's SIEM.  …
Nuttawat Apiaekpathom
Senior Advanced Technology Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Apr 29, 2018
Improves security through DNS visibility

What is our primary use case?

My customers would like to protect users in company and outside their companies.

How has it helped my organization?

Improves security through DNS visibility, which can block malware, phishing, C&C, etc.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to implement.

What needs improvement?

If I want to see which users access a website, I need an Active Directory registered on Umbrella's cloud.

Less than one year.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

I would rate technical support as an eight out of 10.

Which solution did I use previously and why

it_user489876
Director of IT Support at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
May 31, 2017
It enables a whitelist-only browsing mode, which helps us monitor traffic and perform web content filtering.
it_user494181
IT Consultant & MSP Account Manager at a tech company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Mar 22, 2017
It has the ability to block malware threats in the cloud and control web content access from inside or outside the office.

What other advice do I have?

Try it before you buy it, to test it out. Test the content filtering categories.
it_user494010
Advisor at SCIS Security
Sep 4, 2016
Customization allows us as consultants to tune web content filtering for the SMB market.

What other advice do I have?

OpenDNS is either a good complement to your existing web content filtering solution at the enterprise level, or it is a good free or easy-to-deploy alternative for home and SMB use.
it_user494265
Cloud Solutions Architect at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 2, 2016
It provides native integration into the multiple cloud services.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product in the company security portfolio. It can be used together with the proxy to provide end-user security. However, the cost of this product is too high for what some businesses can afford.
it_user494856
Director of Technology at a recruiting/HR firm with 501-1,000 employees
Sep 1, 2016
It offers protection against malicious websites by stopping users from visiting them.

What other advice do I have?

Plan, plan and plan some more.
it_user494208
System & Network Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 31, 2016
It is security beyond the firewall, and hence more beneficial, as it stops the threats before reaching the firewall.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend SMBs and enterprises use it to enhance their network security with minimal cost through the OpenDNS cloud solution.
it_user494913
Senior Solutions Consultant at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Aug 31, 2016
It makes web filtering and malware protection easy. Initial setup was also easy; just forward your DNS.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it; there is no better way to secure guest networks without any headaches.
it_user490047
Sr. Info. Security Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Aug 31, 2016
You can use any programming language and integrate it with your products.

What other advice do I have?

The APIs are very powerful. You can use any programming language and integrate it with your products. It can be really handy for security analysts.
it_user489891
Vice President of Information Technology at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 31, 2016
It provides URL filtering where we otherwise would not have visibility or control.

What other advice do I have?

If you have locations where there are a small number of users that doesn’t merit a dedicated line with high monthly costs, it’s quite easy and efficient to give them some kind of access point and use OpenDNS for security and filtering.
it_user494082
IT Technician at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Aug 31, 2016
You can define custom categories if the predefined categories are too restrictive or not restrictive enough for you.

What other advice do I have?

This product is very straightforward and simple to setup. I would recommend others to just give the product a try. I am sure they will be happy with the results. OpenDNS has different filtering levels, but I found it easier to just go for the custom level versus the ones they had set up already.
it_user495030
System Administrator at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 30, 2016
OpenDNS allows us to maintain low network resource overhead on our small network. It helps us enforce compliance over logically separated networks.

What other advice do I have?

Plan out your security coverage and filtering strategy in advance of purchasing and implementation. Think about what role you expect OpenDNS to fill in your security architecture. Do you have Layer 3 security in place? Where do your vulnerabilities lie and what threats can you expect to counter?