Cisco Web Security Appliance Overview

Cisco Web Security Appliance is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Web Security Gateways. It is most often compared to Cisco Umbrella: Cisco Web Security Appliance vs Cisco Umbrella

What is Cisco Web Security Appliance?

For security, your network needs malware protection, application visibility and control, acceptable use policy controls, insightful reporting and secure mobility. Cisco offers this protection, all on a single platform: the Cisco Web Security Appliance (WSA).

Cisco Web Security Appliance is also known as Cisco WSA, Cisco Web Security.

Cisco Web Security Appliance Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Web Security Appliance Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Cisco Web Security Appliance Customers

New South Wales Rural Fire Service, Caixa Seguradora

Cisco Web Security Appliance Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco Web Security Appliance pricing:
  • "Regarding Cisco price-wise, it is always on a bit on the higher side."
  • "Licensing fees are based on the number of users."
  • "I know from the manager that the price is too high and that other solutions offer the same features for less."
  • "Cisco Web Security Appliance is not the cheapest solution on the market, but it's well worth it."

Dipmalya Dasgupta
Solution Architect- Network Infrastructure at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
We always hear from our customers that this is one of the products that they are very satisfied with

• "Cisco is the best in giving technical support. There is no doubt about that."
  • "The one thing I don't like about Cisco is that they are very much fragmented in terms of providing the complete solution. They keep on breaking their different feature sets into different boxes."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give Cisco Web Security Appliance an 8.
DA
Owner at Letris
Has high availability and is easy to scale horizontally

• "It also has high availability."
  • "If a user wants to use it for other devices like mobile or smartphones, this product isn't so reliable."

What other advice do I have?

Try it. See how it works, it's not difficult to implement and it's not so expensive. I would recommend it. I would rate it a ten out of ten. In the next release, I would like to see reporting to implement more features. The license should also be more flexible.
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Web Security Appliance. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Usman Rasool
VP - Head Enterprise IT Infrastructure at MIB
A stable solution that provides valuable insight into user activities and bandwidth usage

What is our primary use case?

We are using the Cisco Web Security Appliance as part of the security in our data center. Our data center includes equipment and software from a variety of vendors including Cisco, Dell EMC, Microsoft, and Veritas.

• "This appliance gives me good visibility in the userbase and their activities."
  • "The licensing model needs to be more flexible."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is researching this appliance is to first determine exactly what it is that they require. There are a lot of applications and features but many of the features are useless for the organization. For example, if they do not need the DDoS features then they shouldn't get them and pay the additional fee. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
MF
Network Security Engineer & Systems Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Good third-party integration for user authentication and authorization, but technical support needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for securing network traffic.

• "This solution offers categorization for YouTube and other specific applications from Facebook to WhatsApp, which can be controlled whether it's on mobile or PC."
  • "Technical support needs to be improved because they take a very long time and there is no communication or notification."

What other advice do I have?

I use this product and implement it. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Enrique Diaz Jolly
Owner at Jolly Security Inc
An all-in-one highly secure web gateway

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Web Security Appliance as a security proxy when using the web.

• "It integrates well with Cisco Email Security Appliance."
  • "Sometimes reporting is a little bit short."

What other advice do I have?

Implementation has to be done right, it's very important. It's not enough just to connect it — that won't make the traffic go through. You have to really think about how you want to route the traffic. It's for HTTP and HTTPS. Speaking of HTTPS, you have to consider the well-done proxying, otherwise, you will be breaking internet security because you'll have issues with the certificates, et cetera. So you have to do a very well-planned integration. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. Security-wise, it's a great product.
Sokhna DIOKH
Integrating engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A stable part of our overall security solution

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators and deploy solutions in our client's environment. The primary use case is to allow or deny access to sites or special networks.

• "The most valuable feature is security."
  • "The GUI is not user-friendly, so it needs to improve or be simplified."

What other advice do I have?

In the future, we plan to use it in the cloud when there is a Cisco solution available, depending on the market and the purchasing power of the customers. I would rate this solution an eight out ten.
RS
Sr. Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Stable solution with good technical support but the graphical interface needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution as a proxy.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that we can use it as a proxy.

What needs improvement?

They need a better graphical interface, and they need a better ISE mechanism. In the next release, I would like to see the reporting features enhanced.

I have been using the Cisco Web Security Appliance for three to four years.

This solution is stable.

If you want to go to the next level, you will have to change the hardware. The general requirement is that when you reach the hardware limitations, you have to change it. Depending on the customer,…
YT
Information Security Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Simple but unnecessary

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to restrict prohibited websites and applications. It's a good solution. Within our organization, there are roughly 400 people using this solution. We plan to continue using this solution.

• "I would recommend this solution to others."
  • "This solution could be more secure."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of six.
See 3 more Cisco Web Security Appliance Reviews
Product Categories
Secure Web Gateways (SWG)
Download our free Cisco Web Security Appliance Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.