DX Infrastructure Manager Overview

DX Infrastructure Manager is the #13 ranked solution in our list of top Server Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to Zabbix: DX Infrastructure Manager vs Zabbix

What is DX Infrastructure Manager?

CA UIM provides a single, unified platform that allows you to monitor your entire IT environment, both inside and outside the data center. It offers the ease-of-use and simplicity associated with point IT monitoring tools, featuring a unique powerful architecture with a lightweight footprint. At the same time, it delivers enterprise scalability and multi-tenancy that power some of the most complex infrastructures.

DX Infrastructure Manager is also known as DX Infrastructure Manager for Z Systems and CA UIM for zSystems, CA UIM (DX Infrastructure Manager), CA Nimsoft Monitor, CA UIM, DX Infrastructure Manager.

DX Infrastructure Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the DX Infrastructure Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

DX Infrastructure Manager Customers

CBNCloud, IIJ Global Singapore, AT&S, AXSOS, Aozora Bank, HCL Technologies, IntelliNet, Securex

DX Infrastructure Manager Video

DX Infrastructure Manager Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Avijit Chakraborty
Consultant at Tata Consultancy Services
Aug 5, 2018
It is easy to implement but requires good planning

What is our primary use case?

Server and database availability as well as performance monitoring in my environment. We also monitor URLs using UIM.

How has it helped my organization?

We now use only one console to monitor all servers, the database and the network. It has allowed us to consolidate four previous tools (BMC, HP, SolarWinds, Nagios).

What is most valuable?

It is easy to implement but requires good planning. If you don't plan the number of probes it can lead to an event flood. It is also reliable when it comes to monitoring.

What needs improvement?

Reporting capability can be improved especially when it comes to availability. Additionally, automatic baselines can help reduce the count of alerts.

Less than one year.
it_user797967
Distinguished Engineer with 10,001+ employees
Feb 6, 2018

• "The benefit is easy installation. Thus, the model approach of the product and out-of-the-box probes, which deliver direct value."
  • "You can integrate clouds, hybrid infrastructure, and on-premise infrastructure into one product."
  • "​We want to see more investment in the UI and the dashboard."
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Nagios, SolarWinds and others in IT Infrastructure Monitoring. Updated: February 2021.
465,891 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user797952
Senior Director at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 2, 2018
It is the foundation for our monitoring solution

• "It is the foundation for our monitoring solution."
  • "Having all of our information within one tool set; our alerts, our monitors, and the things that our operations team needs to function."
  • "How we can get more native information from CA's solutions."

What other advice do I have?

I would give it a nine out of 10 at this point. There are a couple of things we are still working on. If we get those implemented correctly, then I could give it a higher rating.
Hui Wang
Technical Service Owner for Monitoring at BCBS of NC
Jan 22, 2018
We are building a visibility dashboard so our engineers can designate which events are critical
it_user797928
IS Team Lead at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Jan 11, 2018
We can quickly do all the admin functionality we need, without reducing the cycles

• "It reduced cycles for a lot of quick out-of-the-box functionality. It also allowed us to get away from being stuck in SNMP, VTP V2, based off of agent deployment."
  • "Easy admin functionality. You can quickly do all the admin functionality without reducing cycles."
  • "It's easy to push out across numerous servers. Very scalable."
  • "They need to continue to advance the filter capabilities, and provide more input fields."

What other advice do I have?

I give it an eight out of 10, for dependability, reduced cycles, and functionality.
Charles Foy
Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Jan 11, 2018
Gives us the ability to monitor any platform including Windows, Linux, AIX and mainframe

• "The number of probes available. Out of the box, I believe about 200 probes are available. And, if there's a probe that is not available, you can write one. You can also go to the communities and suggest, and based on demand, CA will write one for you."
  • "The ability to monitor any platform. We have Windows, Linux, AIX, and mainframe all being monitored with the same UIM infrastructure."
  • "I would like to see auditability. We've built our own audit functionality to ensure that every CI has the desired model configuration applied to it. And we run that on a daily basis. If that became part of the product, I think it might be a little bit less intensive in terms of resource, because we're doing it with scripts."

What other advice do I have?

I would give it an eight out of 10. Business class, I would give it a 10. Enterprise, eight. And there are just a few more things to make it more enterprise-class friendly.
it_user789015
‎Digital Design Manager with 1-10 employees
User
Jan 9, 2018
Great customized dashboards and drill down reports with auto serve analytics

What is our primary use case?

Manage and monitoring network infrastructure Manage warning and error notifications Operations dashboard

How has it helped my organization?

Great customized dashboards and drill down reports with auto serve analytics. Enterprise scale and performance

What is most valuable?

You can manage different companies and groups. Deep application monitoring tool ServiceDesk integration

What needs improvement?

I think this software has a lot of functionalities. It is a little complex to use versus other softwares.

Trial/evaluations only.
Abe Shaker
Monitoring And Reporting Engineer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 8, 2018
Improved our mean time to repair; flexibility and ease of use give us enhanced monitoring

• "I definitely appreciate the flexibility and ease of use. We've been using UIM for almost three years now. It's pretty much point and click, very easy to use. And we've had no problems scaling it to our own environment."
  • "The biggest feature that I've been hoping they would enhance on is inventory management: things like adding/removing nodes."
  • "It needs a little bit more functionality in the Admin Console."

What other advice do I have?

Among the most important criteria when selecting a vendor, based on previous work experience, a stable environment is definitely number one. Because, an unstable environment means I wake up a lot of times at 3:00am, a lot of long weekends, a lot of hours. A stable application makes my job much easier. I rate it a 10 out of 10, based on everything that we discussed. I really enjoy the product.
it_user779169
Operations Coordinator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Jan 7, 2018
It delivers our customers many metrics, so they may make decisions

What is our primary use case?

Through monitoring the environment of our customers. It is working well.

How has it helped my organization?

It delivers our customers many metrics, so they may make decisions.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to implement.

What needs improvement?

Some parts of the services view. The UIM has no features through goods and services yet.

Three to five years.

It is stable. We have some short downtimes, but CA helped us get back up again.

Scalability is good, but it could be working better.

Technical support replies to my questions very quickly…
it_user779157
Monitoring Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 31, 2017
Pulls historic data, every metric and nuanced bit from a device, for us to generate alerts

What is our primary use case?

We use UIM primarily for monitoring and managing all of our clients. As an MSP we need some kind of tool to be able to go out and do that. CA UIM has fit the bill quite nicely. It's been pretty good. It does have its hiccups. It takes a fair amount of customization, but overall it's done what we need it to do and, when it doesn't out of the box, we are able to actually go in and tinker it enough to make it suit our needs quite nicely. So it's been doing a pretty good job.

• "The real value is our being able to pull all the historic data that we need in order to gather every little metric and nuanced piece of information from a given device, a given piece of infrastructure, in order for us to generate alerts."
  • "We are able to go in and actually leverage the thick client for a nice easy drag and drop solution."
  • "Within this product there are individual probes, and each of these probes doesn't always necessarily output the same kind of information into our database. So when we try to collect what's called QoS data, from one probe we might get a ton of information, lots of good stuff that we can use in our database, but then from another probe, we might not get so much or we might not be able to pull the things that we want to."
  • "I'd also like to see more probes. More probes in the sense that we were coming across devices that we're expected to monitor and manage for which, out of the box, there isn't a nice, clean solution. There are probes that are dedicated for certain devices and certain device types, which is great. But then there are times we come across nuanced products that we have to develop our own solution for. There are probes that exist in there that allow us to make a customized solution, but it takes a lot more time."
  • "The other element is that there are no real templates, out of the box. Let's go with an example where we do have the probe, which is great, and we do have a really nuanced customer with a small set of devices that maybe not a lot of other customers use. There might not be a template in place, so effectively we have the tool in front of us but we still need to develop a solution. So it would be really nice to see a little bit more of something like a central repository of templates that we could use. That would help us expedite our onboarding process."

What other advice do I have?

My most important criteria when selecting a vendor are * level of support * reliability of the tool * functionality of the tool and * cost, obviously. Know what kind of products you are going to be using UIM to monitor and manage, and ensure that the compatibility is there. Because if there is not out-of-the-box compatibility, it can take a significant amount of time and effort to make things work.
Brian-Moore
Tool Admin at BCD Travel
Dec 11, 2017

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to monitor all of our infrastructure, network devices, and applications across our datacenters in Europe, Americas, Mexico, and Asia. It has performed pretty well considering there are quite a bit of devices. We have 2400 servers and quite a few network devices. It has been performing pretty well. We like it so far.

• "You can scale it pretty much however way you want to as long as you have the servers to throw at it."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to another company, as I am happy with it. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: reputation and 24/7 support.
    Charles Foy
    Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Dec 11, 2017
    Provides a comprehensive monitoring solution for our open systems

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of our UIM product is for monitoring Windows and Linux servers.

• "Another division handed us the opportunity to monitor their solutions as written, and UIM was very useful for that."
    • "It provides a comprehensive monitoring solution for our open systems."
    • "We had to do some work to make what was more of a business class solution work at an enterprise level."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: integration and support. It has alway been well-integrated and the support is good.
    it_user778809
    Web Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 7, 2017
    ​Diagnosing issues is a lot faster. We can pinpoint what is going on more quickly than trying to figure it out.

What is our primary use case?

Infrastructure monitoring. Right now, we do not have an application monitoring setup. That is something that we are looking to get, so at the moment we are just using it to monitor the infrastructure. We just got it set up a year ago, and then had a company move in between. So, we just started using it, technically, probably like three months ago.

What other advice do I have?

From what I have seen, version 9 looks great.
    InfrSpc9365
    Enterprise Systems Mgmt Admn at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 4, 2017
    Application monitoring and alerts on disk capacity mean less downtime for us

What is our primary use case?

Monitoring the servers, the infrastructure and we also monitor applications with a specific probe doing Synthetic transactions. We use a dirscan probe to monitor files to make sure that they transfer at the correct times, and it will send alerts if they don't. We use logmon monitoring and we use the event log monitoring processes. We monitor processes for up/down state, CPU usage, memory usage. We use the NT Services probe, the monitor services on the Windows boxes. That's to name a few. Regarding performance, we've had some struggles with it at times, but we get a support case opened up and… more »

• "The monitoring of the applications to let our business know when things are performing and that they're up and available."
    • "In the UMP, certain devices will show up multiple times and they don't correlate correctly. That's one of the issues."

What other advice do I have?

When our company is looking to invest in a vendor, our criterion is that we will try to stay with a vendor that we have a relationship with already. I rate it an eight out of 10 because the ability to configure the probes is much easier than with other products. Before we went with the UIM product, I had to evaluate other products and the configuration of those was much more difficult than with UIM. I would advise, because they have the new SaaS product - and I have a feeling we're going to be looking at that at our company also - doing a demo of the SaaS product and see if that meets their…
    it_user778851
    Enterprise Monitoring Design Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Dec 4, 2017
    The architecture, the way the hubs are designed, facilitate growth

What is our primary use case?

Infrastructure monitoring. It preforms well, I mean it scales well. Handles about 17,000 servers. So it does pretty well.

What other advice do I have?

When investing in a vendor, what's important to me are * software quality * responsiveness * communication. I rate it an eight out of 10 and that's only because I think it can be better. I think as a competitive products in the market, UIM is really solid. A few changes could make it better. Make sure there are staff to administrate it, after it gets deployed. And ensure that after CA delivers, that you have the ability to follow through with the rest of the implementation.
    James Sabassi
    Engineer II, Network Operations Center at BCD Travel
    Dec 4, 2017
    Ease of deployment, configuration, admin, with good visibility into the environment

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is we deployed a unified infrastructure manager, globally, for monitoring. By globally, I mean here in the US and in Europe. Now we are expanding to South America: Mexico and Brasil. Scalability has been really good. It has been more than we expected, much better than what we were using before.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, what's important to us are * relationships * response. Those two are the biggest things. We want them to be there when we're doing a major deployment. When things break down, that 3:00am call, they're there. That is the biggest thing for us: to have a close relationship with our vendor. And of course, knowledge that the vendor has of the actual product. That they have that technical talent within their team, that they can give that first-tier, third-tier, or whatever, support. I would say you will probably see a lot of positive returns right out of the gate in the…
    it_user778680
    Senior Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Nov 30, 2017
    Gives our service level managers the metrics they need on multiple applications

What is our primary use case?

We do E2E monitoring for service level availability of all of our applications. For our service level managers, it's performed a lot better than they expected. It's given them a lot more information than our old tool, which went end-of-life. We brought everything over to UIM. We gave them a tool that can give them everything they wanted, that they never had before.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor what's most important to us is: * Does it do what we need? * Does it do what we want? * Do we have to do a lot of out-of-the-box modifications? I give it a 10 out of 10 because it's doing everything we expected and looked for. Like I said, we haven't gotten into infrastructure, so I can't really rate it that way yet. But what I've seen in the pre-conference classes, it's going to work just as well. So, I would probably give it a 10 across the board. Definitely PoC UIM. It is worth it.
    it_user778539
    IT Manager at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Nov 29, 2017
    Gives an overall picture when it comes to monitoring throughout the whole environment for us to act upon

What is our primary use case?

Our main use case is obviously doing base monitoring with the product, and also going beyond that doing URL monitoring. We are actually exploring more than what the UIM can perform with the current solution that we have in place. So, we are migrating everything over to the UIM. So far, it works well, even though we have not migrated everything over.

What other advice do I have?

I started just a few months ago, but the company has been using it for about two years now. I have been surprised by the foothold CA has on the marketplace and how many products they actually manage. I would definitely recommend the concept if it is something you are looking for.Just make sure that it integrates with the rest of the tools in your environment. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Functionality of the product * Ease of use. What I like about CA compared to other vendors is they are not pushy. They are actually more supportive if we have any issues they will get the…
    it_user778512
    Engineer at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Nov 29, 2017
    It has the ability to create an integrated console based upon the services which we are offering. However, it is difficult to get their time to instrument their applications.

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for the monitoring of our hardware infrastructure, and also for our applications' response times. So far, it has performed well.

What other advice do I have?

Plan well. Because of what the tool does, some companies do not really have a good service catalog, and without a good service catalog, taking the leap into the UIM space is going to be an interesting challenge. That has been one of our challenges, we did not have a good service catalog. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * The partnership with the team * The quality of the products * The reputation of the vendor.
    it_user778560
    Manager at Neuroses IT
    Nov 28, 2017
    Scalability, flexibility serve our clients well but automatic network topology would help

What is our primary use case?

We install and configure UIM to replace other products like OmniVision, InfoVista, and open source products like Nagios and Cacti with a standardized product, with the new capabilities for the market, like virtualization technology, topology, analysis. It's too difficult for non-technical users, non-software developers, to develop their own monitoring tools.

• "Scalability and flexibility. The product can grow with your infrastructure so you don't have to install other products. Just add components. It's very simple."
    • "We would like to see automatic network topology."

What other advice do I have?

With version 9 of CA UIM arriving soon, we think we will rate it even better, at nine out of 10. With the current version of the product it's a seven. CA UIM has a long history, but as a result, it's difficult for CA to follow market standards. The new version will arrive on the market with beautiful capabilities and very nice interfaces. The new version will enable CA to catch up to market standards. It's a great choice. Be sure to correctly plan what you need, it's very important. In a lot of cases, the customer asks for a monitoring product with some needs. When we arrive for the workshop…
    it_user778515
    Senior Analyst
    Nov 27, 2017
    Extensive probe library means we can monitor all of our varied technologies

What is our primary use case?

We use it for monitoring our infrastructure. I think it's a great product. It really brings it into the 21st century of Web UI. This latest version, version 9, that is supposed to be announced here at CA World, brings more of that HTML5 interface in and really steps it up to be a great UI. Easy to use, quick.

What other advice do I have?

Our criteria when looking to switch to a different product include the user's ability, their willingness, to use it. And another main consideration, you can get data in but can you get data out in the formats you need? If you can only get data in, but you can't get data out, it's of no use. I give it an eight out of 10 because, as I said, I think it needs a little bit more improvement around the UX, but it's getting there. And they're making a concerted effort to make that happen. I would tell a colleague who is researching this type of solution to really look at your feature functionality…
    it_user558153
    Head Of IT Production Services at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Nov 19, 2017
    Provides flexibility and performance, ease of use and configuration

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor I would say the most important criteria are a history in infrastructure domain and credibility. I would advise to start from a blank slate and not to try to make it from another solution.
    it_user772545
    Full Stack Monitoring Consultant at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Nov 15, 2017
    Provides complete IT infrastructure monitoring, which includes servers, applications, database, cloud, and network devices

What is our primary use case?

Complete IT infrastructure monitoring including servers, applications, database, cloud, and network devices.

What is most valuable?

Ease of usage for administrators. Flexibility with monitoring and statistics collection. Latest version of tool comes integrated with Jaspersoft reporting solution, giving excellent reports. Dashboards are pretty good.

What needs improvement?

Stability Alarm segregation

Two years.

WASP failed to start on time.

Yes, prior to version 8.5.

An eight out of 10.

Which solution did I use previously and why did I

Luis Miguel Goez Mora
    Senior Manager Information Technology Infrastructure at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Oct 17, 2017
    Through action automation (using NAS and robot actions) we got reduced operational effort, improved operative tasks, and optimization of resources.

• "Probe packages and probe deployment."
    • "Making a GUI with criteria such as selection by robot/hub/probe etc."

What other advice do I have?

Monitor governance and solution sizing are key topics to start solution implementation.
    it_user350334
    Account Delivery Executive at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Jun 30, 2017
    It's really been beneficial to the applications teams in their ability to see CPUs and disc memory. One of the things I'd like to see an improvement on is the ability to do mass deployment.

What other advice do I have?

If I had to choose all over again, I'd probably look more into the mobile function of it.
    it_user689553
    Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Jun 27, 2017
    It's less resource demanding and has more functionality out of the box than HPE Operations Manager and SCOM.

• "Monitoring infrastructure and business applications are the most valuable features."
    • "It would be good to implement views showing the aggregated status graphically."

What other advice do I have?

Be aware of your exact needs so you can ensure the product will meet your needs.
    it_user401061
    Senior Monitoring Administrator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Jun 25, 2017
    There is flexibility in the SDKs to customize it. Topology discovery and root cause analysis would be nice to have.

• "It gives an alarm when there's something going on, not just when there's an expected spike that happens every night on a server."
    • "A useful feature to have would be automatic configuration per standard by new robots that check in for any particular customer."

What other advice do I have?

There are things that are nice in just covering the basics for us, but then we have pain points on some of the more advanced stuff.
    it_user169710
    Administrador de Sistemas
    Jun 19, 2017
    When in charge of the infrastructure department it gives me certainty about what is happening in the company network.

• "MultiWAN and Balance service"
    • "I think it can be improved by a greater provision of specialized technical support, as there are very few trained personnel there."

What other advice do I have?

The advice I can give you is to first make an assessment of the needs that your company has. Once they have identified the products that offer solutions to their problems, then don't only consider the price but consider also the costs of licensing, support agreements, product functionalities, product positioning etc. Consider reviewing evaluations made by other technology vendors and if possible ask for a demo to your local IT providers. They will be happy to show you the products and their different advantages.
    it_user475434
    Business Development at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    May 7, 2017
    Service oriented views include physical and virtual servers as well as network devices.

What other advice do I have?

Check or ask for a compatibility matrix to ensure that your environment (server OS, virtual environments, etc.) is supported.
    it_user334737
    Manager - GSMC Instumentation & Analytics at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Apr 30, 2017
    Enabled a monitoring solution for devices. I would like to see better alarm management.

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead and choose this product.
    it_user380754
    CA UIM administrator at a government with 501-1,000 employees
    Apr 30, 2017
    The valuable features are scalability, redundancy, and the probes available for many platforms.

What other advice do I have?

Try to look beyond the price tag. You really do get a lot in return, especially when you have a highly heterogeneous environment.
    davidstrom
    Owner at David Strom Inc.
    Writer
    ExpertTop 10
    Apr 14, 2017
    Covers a wide variety of devices, OSs and server types. Can get pricey for larger installations.
    Making IT Monitoring a Snap with CA Nimsoft Monitor Snap Snap can be used in a wide variety of monitoring situations, such as to track servers, virtual machines, applications, databases, network and storage devices. We tested version 7.1 of Snap on a network where it quickly discovered our Windows, Mac and Linux machines in February 2014. It is free and fully functional to monitor up to 30 devices, with a paid version for larger networks.
    it_user603243
    Telemetry Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Mar 31, 2017
    Has a framework and API that allows heavy customization. I'd like the approaches to managing components to be unified.

What other advice do I have?

Please investigate other solutions so you can make an informed choice. CA adds technical debt to your organization.
    it_user500109
    IT Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Mar 29, 2017
    It can integrate with CA SDM and receive SNMP traps from other tools.

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead and implement it. Keep it simple in a phased manner. Set expectations correctly. (This is not a synthetic or real user monitoring tool.)
    Reba Gaines
    Founder and CEO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Mar 26, 2017
    MCS allows for monitoring policies to be created for groups of devices.

What other advice do I have?

Plan and commit people and processes. Build a service, don't just implement a tool.
    it_user572904
    Team Lead at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Feb 13, 2017
    Not a lot of customization is required in order to implement it.

What other advice do I have?

There's always going to be room for improvement. Why I rate it this high is the ease of implementation, ease of use. I brought in several guys that never had any development experience. In 1-2 days of training, they were able to get some stuff knocked out for us; help us with the implementation process and the transitioning of it. Ease of use is huge. You don't have to be super-techy in order to utilize the product. Of course, to utilize it to its full functionality, sure, but day-one, out-of-the-box stuff is just phenomenal.
    it_user297120
    Enterprise Tools Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Feb 8, 2017
    Allows us to create a baseline template for storage, databases, OSs, synthetic monitoring, and so on.

What other advice do I have?

I was able to quickly learn it and use it, deploy it, modify it to our specific needs, and it's been very reliable since. The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are the history of the company, how long it's been in business, what offerings in terms of support it offers, and really other customer feedback based on their personal experiences.
    it_user572919
    Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Jan 29, 2017
    We started off with standard infrastructure – networks, switches, routers, firewalls – but as we've grown, we've expanded to the cloud, internet of things, and big data.

What other advice do I have?

I think organically we tried putting it in for various products and services. Over time, when we realized that we can harness more out of it, we made a decision to put more energy for our enterprise customers into tools that really give them more value. Rather than trying to invest in too many tools, we decided to actually work on fewer tools; we'll get more out of them. Without being biased, I feel that the most important criteria when selecting a vendor is about the people and whilst there's always a tradition in an organization when you're working with a vendor, it's really important that…
    Abe Shaker
    Monitoring And Reporting Engineer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Jan 8, 2017
    I definitely enjoy the interface and how easy it is to deploy monitoring rules and probes.

What other advice do I have?

I enjoy the product. It has done everything that we expected it to do. When selecting a vendor, the most important aspect is that their goals are aligned with our goals. I look for a relationship that is symbiotic. I want them to understand that when we do well, they do well.
    it_user558624
    Consulting IT at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Jan 4, 2017
    It's scalable and setting up monitoring on the servers is relatively easy. The reporting part could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

I think you should set it up the way that CA says you should set it up.
    Productiecd2
    Production Analyst at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Jan 3, 2017
    The fundamentals support providing metrics and alarms.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have a good grasp on what you need to get out of the product, of course. What does this product do for you? Once you have a good understanding of that, it's really communicating with either the architect or whoever is going to implement it to make sure that it reflects the goals, the requirements, the SLA, and so on. Then you can do the configuration and implementation.
    it_user348300
    Sr. Systems Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Jan 2, 2017
    It has a wide variety of monitors and probes. The UI needs to be more intuitive with better organization for grouping and deployment.

What other advice do I have?

I would do a proof of concept and go through all the use cases to make sure it's going to fit your needs. You should also work with the user interface first. Ask yourself whether it is going to be too cumbersome for you, given the type of environment that you have. Knowing now what I didn't know then, having really good and responsive technical support is very important. It is not something you really think about when you are looking for a better tool, but you have to live with the decision for years. It's hard to evaluate, I know, when you're first deploying or first looking at new tools, but…
    it_user558396
    Senior System Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Dec 29, 2016
    We're writing, synthetically, all these transactions that can perform to our service levels.

What other advice do I have?

Give UIM a try. Build out a PoC environment. Play with it. Utilize all the probes you can that you think would meet your company's needs. Take advantage of it. When choosing a vendor, we look at technical support.
    it_user558141
    Systems Engineer at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 24, 2016
    It tells us if a system is about to fail and we can take proactive action.

What other advice do I have?

Last words of advice. It's a great tool. One way I painted myself into a corner was when I first started using it I thought that it only can do this this one certain way. With UIM, the one thing I've learned is there's hundreds of ways of doing it and they're all right. It's just a matter of which way gets you there the fastest I guess.
    it_user558231
    CEO at Cyber Management Systems
    Dec 24, 2016
    Gives us a single pane of glass. We monitor Cisco and Juniper switches, firewalls, VMware and all sorts of appliances.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely insure to manage expectations you do a proof of concept and then executive buy-in. If you can get executive buy-in, you're good to go at that point.
    it_user558039
    Sr. Manager, Information Technology at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 15, 2016
    Good trending and analysis. Predictable system that prevents outages. I would like more monitoring capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of selecting a vendor, it is just like any business. Either companies monitor in-house with a custom built solution and they need a better solution and support ability, or you have a product that wasn't performing and you want to get another one. Since our company was very small over 10 years has grown very fast to be one of the largest corporate travel company in the world, my guess is they didn't have anything and they needed something. Or maybe they did it all in- house previous to the solution, and what they had was probably very immature. When selecting a vendor, look at the…
    it_user41610
    Manager Network Operations Center at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 15, 2016
    Proactive monitoring of infrastructure, servers, devices, and applications.
    it_user558591
    Network Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Dec 15, 2016
    Gives us interoperability between network and server monitoring and brings everything into one dashboard.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to be patient, work with CA, and don't be afraid to ask questions or seek help.
    it_user492783
    Monitoring Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Nov 9, 2016
    We consolidated multiple enterprise monitoring tools into a single toolset by using Spectrum and UIM together.

What other advice do I have?

UIM is a very scalable product. It includes agents for a lot of technologies and new technologies that help the IT team to detect problems proactively with visibility of the IT environment and the business using dashboards and reports. It provides a unique vision when using UIM and Spectrum together, including a unique alarm console.
    it_user424428
    Team Lead Global Service Monitoring at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Sep 29, 2016
    It is reliable and easy to implement.

What is most valuable?

Monitoring infrastructure and network devices: UIM can monitor devices such as switches and routers, and infrastructure such as memory, CPU, disk health.

What needs improvement?

Most of the time, we need to restart the monitoring server when deploying new features. If it is possible to enable new features without restarting the managed server, it would be awesome.

I have been using it for two years.

I have not encountered any deployment, stability or scalability issues. It is very stable.

Technical support is 9/10.

I have been using this from the…
    it_user507414
    Application Developer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Sep 26, 2016
    The UMP portal provides complete details of infrastructure monitoring without needing to use IM.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it, as it’s quite stable and many organizations are moving towards it from their old product.
    it_user490704
    Monitoring Tools Specialist (Contractor) at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Sep 25, 2016
    Time to Threshold and Time over Threshold help reduce event noise to a level that operation teams can manage.

What other advice do I have?

Create an initial design document to help plan your implementation and identify potential issues beforehand. This document will inevitably evolve throughout the implementation and will provide a reference and a guide.
    it_user378384
    Solution Architect EMS Practice at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Sep 5, 2016
    CA UIM Solution is very easy and fast to use, we use CA UIM for database, infrastructure and application monitoring

What other advice do I have?

This is very good product for monitoring as it has lots of functionalities and probes.
    it_user154095
    Senior Consultant at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Aug 31, 2016
    It’s easy to deploy and manage, and I can use the Drag and Drop feature to build dashboards within minutes. Its performance reporting needs some improvement.

• "I can use the Drag and Drop feature to build dashboards within minutes."
    • "CA UIM needs some improvement with performance reporting (if we compare it to CA eHealth)."

What other advice do I have?

Just follow the prerequisites, and a step-by-step installation guide is available on wiki.ca.com.
    it_user386634
    IT Admin at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Aug 31, 2016
    Probes are easy to deploy, and it is lightweight. An advanced correlation option should be included out of the box.

What other advice do I have?

It’s easy to implement. A good solution for medium environments.
    it_user480759
    Cloud Systems Analyst II at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Aug 7, 2016
    It fulfilled our needs at the time by allowing simpler deployment and management. I would like to see better rapid deployment options, interface updates, and less reliance on Java.

What other advice do I have?

UIM is showing its age, and need a major overhaul to keep up with competitors. I would recommend using other solutions.
    Joao Evangelista
    Presales Consultant at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
    Aug 1, 2016
    With the SLM feature, you can transform any collected metric into a Service Level Objective that affects a Service Level Agreement.

What other advice do I have?

The product is one of the best in the market. I can say that because of 10+ years of experience with monitoring solutions for infrastructure. Even more, it's better when you start talking about the enterprise level because of its great scalability. But this product is simple enough to be used by small-to-medium and medium-to-big companies. They offer also a free version called SNAP that anyone can try it out.
    it_user450105
    Tool Developer/Lead at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Jun 21, 2016
    It's a cohesive product we use for monitoring everything (network, server, apps, storage, etc).

What other advice do I have?

The deployment and everything went really well. The biggest feature we've seen is the ability to track availability. Availability reports, how's the product performing, not just up down like ping monitoring. We can get in there, we can pull metrics, wherever we need them, it's just very easy to use. It is probably an 8/10, just because there's always room for improvement. A solid eight because it's always been able to do anything we've asked of it. We've done custom integrations, written custom probes, and it's always there, anything we need to do, it's fully capable. Recommendation to peers…
    it_user154629
    Senior Infrastructure Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Mar 30, 2016
    We find that creating dashboards are simple and integrations work well

What other advice do I have?

Discuss whether it is feasible to do so through this tool, because the administration is complex, I recommend that due to the integrations with network monitoring, servers, SAN, VMware, etc., it's worth buying.
    it_user393561
    Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Feb 23, 2016
    The product has a lot of flexibility in how we can report, collect, and query data. I'm looking forward to the policy-based management that CA is working on adding.

What other advice do I have?

Rating: 7/10. It's got the potential to grow higher. It's not like this is as good as it's ever going to get. We're very pleased with the product in general. Advice for others: If I was looking in to the product I'd probably start by asking CA some questions, try to use it to pigeonhole our setup onto somebody else may work totally wrongly for them. Start small and build up to it to get their own familiarity with the product going.
    it_user390117
    Senior Systems Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Feb 21, 2016
    Centralization is important because we can manage and view everything from one point.

What other advice do I have?

Look for three main things -- scalability, because you want a platform that will grow; ease of management, because you may have thousands of devices to manage; and single-point data presentation, because you could have hundreds of hosts with all their data. CA UIM meets all of these at a less expensive price than the other large vendors.
    it_user390807
    Sr Director Technology Services Operations at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Feb 18, 2016
    We're able to predict how close we're approaching our thresholds so we can head off a disaster.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor we are first and foremost looking for a partner. We're not interested in a vendor/client relationship. We're not interested in just being a dollar sign at the end of the quarter. We want somebody who will work to understand our business and understand what's unique about us. I'm sure that's a common thread with many customers but it's really important for us to have a partner relationship. The second thing is we want serviceability. We want to be able to call tech support, or talk to a systems engineer, and have them engage with us and work with us through a problem…
    it_user379707
    Sr. Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Feb 4, 2016
    It allows adding third-party widgets onto the dashboard so that you have the liberty to freely exaggerate your UI on the UMP Portal. It's a bit tedious architecture, a one-server-per-component set-up.

What other advice do I have?

It provides a wide variety of monitoring options to the user. In addition to that, the reporting has good features like trend reports, customized dashboards, etc. It still has a way forward to strengthen the network as well as application monitoring and newer versions might have that in scope. The product promises an overall good experience to users. Users will find it easy to access, without being highly technical or thoroughly well versed with the product.
    it_user238455
    Associate Infrastructure Specialist at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Feb 2, 2016
    This product helps our organization by providing a shared model to the customer.
    it_user373206
    Sr. Monitoring Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Jan 31, 2016
    The most valuable features for us are multi-tenancy, the ability to set thresholds per system, and the wide variety of probes.

What other advice do I have?

Decide upfront about monitoring thresholds and use templates.
    it_user378189
    System Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Jan 31, 2016
    I like the easy dashboard creation with several data sources such such as SQL, Oracle, and MS SQL databases
    it_user377604
    Service Management Engineer II at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Jan 31, 2016
    What's most valuable to me is the fact that it is very customizable, allowing me to play around with the configuration and thresholds.

What other advice do I have?

As a simple solution for monitoring it's pretty handy, simple to use, very customizable, and integrates with Salesforce.
    it_user370593
    Manager, End 2 End Monitoring at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Jan 20, 2016
    We primarily chose CA UIM because we had a bunch of disparate systems. We needed to pull it into a single tool, and we needed the flexibility to gain some more insight into the end user experience.

What other advice do I have?

The fact that they're still doing a lot of development in the networking space, they're still trying to mature that side of the product to get where it needs to be. That's really the reason, beyond that it's a great product. We really like using the tools, we like all of the things that we've gotten out of the tool set, the ability to visualize, the ability to help our troubleshooting, the in depth analysis for our infrastructure teams and things like that. It's been really great. Do your research and really compare them side by side, but give CA a chance to put their product against any…
    it_user372504
    Manager ITS Command at University of Chicago
    Jan 20, 2016
    The most valuable feature for me particularly within the enterprise space is that they provide an integrated central approach to monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

Today’s enterprise software can’t just be about the product. It has to be about the kind of ecosystem that that goes into it and companies need. If they don’t make a choice to invest in that ecosystem, they miss out on some of the best resources in terms of staff and technical development. I’m looking for a company that’s going to be straight forward. If they can make money because they have a good product people will pay for it. If they have to trick their customers into buying the product by selling them one thing and then forcing them to buy another because they don’t want to lose the…
    it_user357438
    Systems Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Dec 22, 2015
    For me, the most valuable feature is multi-tenancy as it can monitor networks and applications simultaneously.

What other advice do I have?

You shouldn't implement it in Windows, and do it in a different database, preferably an Oracle one.
    it_user357423
    Tools Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Dec 22, 2015
    It's allowed us to get better coverage with our monitoring and to consolidate all monitoring into one solution. It doesn't have even correlation amongst its features.

What other advice do I have?

It comes down to identifying what you need out of the system. Make sure it's good out of the box and try to align your software selection and the priorities of your business.
    it_user357405
    Systems Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 22, 2015
    We've found the networking and server features to be the most valuable to us.

What other advice do I have?

You need initial support and know how to set it up correctly. You might also need a consultant's help initially.
    it_user353400
    IT Professional at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Dec 13, 2015
    It provides us with detailed information that can be easily reported and delivered to our customers. It does take a bit to get used to the acronyms and terminology.

What other advice do I have?

You can get some good information from UIM. Just make sure to ask a lot of questions along the way and make sure that you have a good understanding of your business before you actually move into implementation.
    it_user353859
    Lead Technical Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 10, 2015
    It's given us the ability to define and isolate where issues are occurring.

What other advice do I have?

Define your success criteria very well. Make it pointed to your needs, to your industry, specifically your company. Test against that. Don't let the app teams get involved. They are going to give you 14 or 15 different variations of the same damn thing you're going to be looking at anyway. You've got to look at each one of the systems in the enterprise. We've got six, seven, 800 applications. Each has an app team. Now, we've got an enterprise environment and IAS environment. Enterprise is running another 500 applications that are coming in through them, for the mobile applications spot. If I…
    it_user353439
    Senior Enterprise Management Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 10, 2015
    All the probes and features fit nicely into the console, which means the learning curve is very low. We've had difficulty integrating with Remedy.

What other advice do I have?

If they were in the process currently of comparing other products out there and trying to boil down that decision, one thing that I did is I made a chart. I basically took all of the monitoring things out there like CQ, Disk, Memory, Log Files, basically broke down everything, URLs, simple URL monitoring, more advanced scripting of website monitoring, I took all that and I built this template. Then, I went through and I basically said, does UIM cover this? Yes, yes, yes or basically I took CA , and I said what CA products does it take to cover all the points I need? UIM covered 95% of that…
    it_user353238
    Enterprise Development Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 10, 2015
    The server monitoring is the most valuable feature for us, but right now we're working through some performance issues.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that you verify the growth, basically the scalability that you're planning, to utilize its solution. Make sure that's within the grasp of the solution when you're purchasing UIM.
    it_user351507
    Infrastructure Engineer Principal at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 10, 2015
    We previously had no insight into what our servers were doing, but this solution helps us get that insight all in one spot. However, some newer data monitoring multi-values would be a nice addition.
    it_user350661
    Sr. Application Support Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 10, 2015
    It's helped us with making sure our high-impact, high-use applications are available. However, it has trouble with one-off metric probes.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t try to over-deploy. Start small and grow into it. Take your most important platform or application. Don’t just try to install everything.
    it_user304509
    Cloud Systems Management Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Dec 10, 2015
    Its flexibility allows us to quickly monitor and manage new technologies and to have the ability to create customer probes. Having the web-admin portal be a bit more scalable would be benefit us.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to thoroughly identify your business objectives. With managed service providers, understand the product and have adequate resources, knowledge, and skills in order to make a smart decision for the company.
    it_user349404
    Senior Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Dec 10, 2015
    We have the flexibility to be able to have a customized solution for an end customer that it wasn’t necessarily designed for, although we’ve had a hard time bringing up the UMP and keeping it stable.

What other advice do I have?

I’ve actually pointed people to UIM because it can be simple. It can be as simple or complicated as you want. The simplicity helps a lot of places get up and running. The ability to drop a module on a server and click a couple things helps and is a lot easier. Pretty straightforward to set up and can be basic if you want. It allows you to get far more complicated as well.
    it_user348384
    Director Infrastructure Operations at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Dec 6, 2015
    It gives us visibility into our own and our customers' environments so that we're confident to raise alarms and issues for both, though I'd like a faster time-to-certify.

What other advice do I have?

It’s been very stable, it’s flexible, and it really fits our business needs and business model. Integration with some other CA products has been a little challenging, but I can’t blame it on this toolset alone. You would probably want to have, at least in the beginning, an understanding of what you’re looking for. Before you start evaluating any products, have at least a short list of what you want to get out of a product. When we didn’t have that setup at times, when you’re dealing with different vendors, they tend to steer you rather than you directing them. Identifying key items is…
    it_user348354
    Server Team Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 6, 2015
    When it hits thresholds, an alert is triggered and we can act, reducing user impact, although it has group sprawl where different groups have different threshold levels, quickly getting out of hand.
    it_user348300
    Sr. Systems Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 6, 2015
    I really think they ought to step back and redesign the UI, but you can drag and drop servers or whatever you want to create server reports.

What other advice do I have?

What really brings it down is the whole user interface, and deploying robots in our environment – it could have gone better. They could have a better solution. They don’t handle custom monitoring well, where you need to customize something – whether it’s an action or needing to correlate alarms easily to take an action. We really had to jump through hoops to fit our environment in that way. I would suggest you look at what customizations you have. I would do POCs with several different tools as it’s not a one-size-fits-all, especially when it comes to scale. Most tools can do stuff…
    it_user348225
    Platform Specialist at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 6, 2015
    It allows us to maintain our SLAs with customers by alerting us when there are or about to be issues, although the UI seems sluggish at times when maneuvering or browsing through.

What other advice do I have?

We deploy to customer sites so I spend a lot of time dealing with firewall administrators, so if you’re going to be using it in this type of environment where you’re sending alerts back to your central office, you’d want to make sure the ports are open. Make sure you configure antivirus exclusions as well.
    it_user161208
    Senior System Engineer at Delta Air Lines (PreMerger NWA)
    Dec 6, 2015
    It provides us with a single solution between Windows, AIX, Solaris, HPUX, and Linux servers, but an HTML 5 web admin solution would be essential for a lightweight web-client administration solution.

What other advice do I have?

You should nail down your requirements and understand that input from outside teams is important because your monitoring the whole environment. Also, ask CA for help as they’ve done this before.
    it_user293970
    Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Sep 1, 2015
    Our customers can monitor their infrastructures in a unified manner more easily and at different levels.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a strong IT department, or some special request for monitoring, that is hard to shared with others, you can try to implement it yourself. Otherwise, it is better to have services (from CA or other companies). You just have to remember that it is harder to take on an implementation on the fly and correct what is already done, than have one done from scratch.
    it_user297120
    Enterprise Tools Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Aug 25, 2015
    It gives a good baseline as to how we go about monitoring our clients, as each one is different but can fall into a specific category of infrastructure monitoring.
    it_user295758
    Managed Services Operational Engineer- Automation with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Aug 25, 2015
    It helps us collect data that is needed for long-term reports and immediate alerts, and it's our choice for a multi-tenant infrastructure where SLA’s are a must.

What other advice do I have?

I don’t love UIM, but it is the best selection for a multi-tenant infrastructure where SLA’s are a must. The original deployment was very successful, but this is not plug & play. At least one full time administrator is needed. With acquired experience, the product can do almost everything a monitoring product should do, but it is not all “out of the box”
    it_user275361
    Director of Operations with 501-1,000 employees
    Aug 3, 2015
    With its predefined menu of items to collect and monitor, we're able to define the monitoring needs of new customers.

What other advice do I have?

First of all design do a analysis of what kind of process you can automate in your company, that way will be easier for you to capture value from a solution like this. It's important to pay attention to the infrastructure requirements.
    it_user280929
    Storage and Backup Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Jul 30, 2015
    Unified Management Portal monitors the health of our environment (CPU, memory, disk/storage usage, and connectivity) and prevented some issues from occurring.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you can get good quality support.
    it_user233928
    CSI Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    May 20, 2015
    Pros include: modular design, flexibility and ease of deployment

What other advice do I have?

Get an expert to guide you through it. Don’t expect miracles, you get out what you put in, no solution is the holy grail. You should become a developer to really see the benefits of the product and get involved with the community to share your thoughts and ideas, CA listens to their customers feedback.
    it_user233349
    Senior Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
    May 4, 2015
    The ease of scaling out your initial setup, the distributed architecture as well as the high availability are all differentiators.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a highly heterogeneous environment, CA UIM has the best chance of supporting all of your platforms (including probes for more exotic ones). The ease of scaling out your initial setup, the distributed architecture (Nimsoft has its roots in the service provider world) as well as the high availability are all differentiators.
    it_user229734
    IT Technical Testing Consultant at adhoc International
    Apr 26, 2015
    Alarm management capabilities, extensible architecture and the hub queues configuration are some of the reasons we like this solution.
    it_user202704
    Senior System Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Feb 28, 2015
    Our network monitoring sometimes doesn't capture interface traffic, we then use use UIM's interface traffic probe.

What other advice do I have?

As i have worked on this product for quite some time I personally think this product is the best in terms of overall infrastructure monitoring.
    it_user189927
    Senior Ent. Monitoring Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Feb 16, 2015
    Consolidated multiple enterprise monitoring tools into a single toolset.

What is most valuable?

Extensibility - ability to centrally manage large enterprises.

How has it helped my organization?

Consolidated multiple enterprise monitoring tools into a single toolset (Nimsoft). Reduced staff required to support the enterprise.

What needs improvement?

Reporting.

Approximately five years.

Minimal, if any.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 6/10.

We previously used Solarwinds…
    it_user189933
    Sr. Services Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    Feb 4, 2015
    Provides a managed view of our data center and enables us to be proactive in preventing the most common problems.

What other advice do I have?

Search for an expert to get the deployment right.
    it_user187290
    Principal System Administrator at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Jan 29, 2015
    The scalability of the product and heterogeneous OS coverage is really what sets this product apart from others
    it_user155184
    Senior Systems Executive at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Nov 30, 2014
    Dashboards and reporting features help users have a close eye on the servers.

What is most valuable?

Reporting and the ability to customize threshold.

How has it helped my organization?

The dashboards and reporting features help users have a close eye on the servers; the ability to notify users that something might go wrong if you do not pay attention to this alert helps us to avoid incidents.

What needs improvement?

Dashboards

2+ Years.

The deployment is very user friendly over updates.

Yes, we did encounter on some stability issues earlier.

Customer Service: 4 on a scale of 5 Technical Support: 4 on a scale of 5

Which solution did I use

it_user159873
    Developer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Nov 30, 2014
    With some scripting we are able to integrate better with ticketing system.

Valuable Features

Probes and customization.

Improvements to My Organization

With some scripting we are able to integrate much better with our ticketing system.

Room for Improvement

Communication between hubs collector needs major improvments

Use of Solution

10 years

No deployment issues.

Self.
    it_user164013
    Application Manager with 51-200 employees
    Nov 23, 2014
    Easy to use and configure out of the box.

What other advice do I have?

Just look into the prereqs before installing so you’ve got the HW for building your environment. Other than that it is straight forward and by the book.
    it_user159834
    System engineer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Nov 16, 2014
    This product serves as our eyes.

What other advice do I have?

If you need an all-in-one solution that's easy to maintain, to scale and that you can rely on - Nimsoft Monitor is a good solution.
    it_user159174
    Assistant Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Oct 30, 2014
    We like the stability and flexibility of customizing the dashboard and monitoring.
    it_user159393
    Founder / Owner at a security firm with 51-200 employees
    Oct 29, 2014
    Allows for long term data storage / trend analysis

What other advice do I have?

Allocate a lot of time to learn the product and be prepared to get your hands dirty with the configuration files and also LUA scripting.
    it_user158709
    ICT Infrastructure Architect Expert with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Oct 29, 2014
    Needed a way to respond quicker to incidents

What is most valuable?

OOB probes

How has it helped my organization?

We're able to respond quicker to incidents.

What needs improvement?

Dashboards +++ and correlation creation tool (instead of NAS)

4 years

Not really

Yes, Q issues at very slow dashboards (flash!!!)

Customer Service: 4 out of 5 Technical Support: 6 out of 5

Many (10+). We switched to centralize on one tool.

Easy

it_user158706
    Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Oct 27, 2014
    The discovery tools and the ease of initial setup are very good.

What other advice do I have?

The documentation is great and so are the forums. The included documentation and wiki gives you more than enough data to get through the day to day monitoring. The forums and support are there if you have something more complex.
    it_user156147
    Sr. Applications Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Oct 23, 2014
    We went from having fully 1/3 of all incoming alarms being about dead monitoring agents to less than 1%

What other advice do I have?

Make a conditional contract such that Nimsoft develops a fully functional maintenance mode UI that allows not only servers be placed into maintenance, but also different monitoring profiles and components like URL, Ping, individual VMware guests, SQL instances, etc. Also consider using something else to monitor VMware.
    it_user157599
    Cloud Computing Tools at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Oct 21, 2014
    Highly scalable, highly customisable, but good luck working with support

What other advice do I have?

If you have a highly disparate estate across old and new technologies, Nimsoft is the only realistic in-house answer, prior to considering the customisation of open source alternatives.
    it_user159171
    NOC Engineer at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
    Oct 7, 2014
    It's a nice product whose value is in the UMP Portal.

What is most valuable?

UMP Portal.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to configure alert by client requirements and can see those alert in with a lot of detail.

What needs improvement?

Infrastructure manager and the user interface.

For the last 2.5 years I have been working with this product.

Communication errors with most of the servers.

None.

Very straightforward. …
    it_user98772
    Network Manager at a transportation company with 51-200 employees
    Mar 21, 2014
    Have been working with Nimsoft for the past 3 years. Recommended for any enterprise company who needs monitoring of all services. We run net connect, cisco_ucm, Windows servers and VMWare probes and it has helped us proactively manage all systems. We set SLAs for uptime through the SLA manager and report these back to the business on a monthly basis, additionally We use the QoS rules to collect trends of CPU, Memory and Disk Usage for capacity planning.
    Download our free IT Infrastructure Monitoring Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Nagios, SolarWinds, and more!