HPE ProLiant DL Servers Overview

HPE ProLiant DL Servers is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Rack Servers. It is most often compared to Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers: HPE ProLiant DL Servers vs Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers

What is HPE ProLiant DL Servers?
ProLiant Servers provide a complete infrastructure that support both your business objectives and your business growth.

HPE ProLiant DL Servers is also known as HP ProLiant DL series, HP ProLiant DL.

HPE ProLiant DL Servers Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE ProLiant DL Servers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

HPE ProLiant DL Servers Customers
AmeriPride Services, iSource, Bolagsverket, BlueShore Financial, British Columbia Assessment Authority, National Stock Exchange, Cardlytics
HPE ProLiant DL Servers Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

General Manager / Head – Central Automation at Essar
Lower failure rate and great stability but could use a better hard drive base

What is our primary use case?

My primary use of this solution is for mathematical models that we develop and buy. The mathematical models are being bought from companies like Siemens, General Electric, SMS, and DMAC Group. Primarily these companies give us this software, we buy it from them, they make mathematical models for steel plants and we also make our own models. I also have around 40 portals that I'm running on that I had developed and maintained. I use the DL servers to host the databases and the portal.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate them eight, primarily because of the service that they provide and stability that the hardware gives. For any other person who wants to buy any hardware, the first thing that he should look for is who is going to support him locally. He should then evaluate cases of the availability of that particular vendor's hardware. Buying any such systems is not a big task. He should see if he can maintain these servers in the long run. By long run, think ten years. He should be comfortable with the people that are going to help maintain and comfortable with the equipment that he's going to…
CTO at Cloud Technology
Performs well and has scalability potential with relaibelity and customized performance

What is our primary use case?

I used it for building an application, database middleware servers. It performed very well for my needs.

• "There is a lot of extra storage. I am only using half of what I need."
  • "If they could put a SAN storage or resend it in the same product, it would be very helpful and more powerful."

What other advice do I have?

Start to use Nutanix Solution with HPE Dl Servers that recommend by Nutanix.
Learn what your peers think about HPE ProLiant DL Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SC
System Administrator at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
We've virtualized and consolidated our servers, reducing our carbon footprint, although boot-up time should be reduced.

What is our primary use case?

Virtualized servers, failover production and dev/test environments of Linux and Windows guests.

What other advice do I have?

The only thing I don't like about them is that if/when you have to restart it, it takes a long time to come back on. As the sea of sensors have increased in recent generations, the time has become longer. Define your storage needs in advance and then plan the disks accordingly. Suggest that if flash storage is financially feasible, then invest in that as the performance benefits are worth it.
Infrastructure Coordinator
We decided to switch because this solution provides more memory density

What is our primary use case?

I am using it to virtualize VMware. It is performing well.

How has it helped my organization?

Performance Costs

What needs improvement?

I am impressed with the SimpliVity solution. I need to look a bit about this.

Less than one year.

It is very stable; no downtime.

This solution is very scalable. When we bought the DL580, we bought it with full capacity. It is great for our business, and if we need to scale more, we can buy a new one.

We use HPE Datacenter support, and it is good support. It is automatic support. When I have a problem, the…
IT Administrator at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

There are two sets of servers that we use. We have several sites where we have VMware clusters using the servers, and also we have standalone servers that we use for physical security applications. They are both performing very well.

• "iLO, in particular, helps us manage the servers better, especially as a lot of them are remote from where the IT staff are. We have some locations where we just have not got IT presence at those locations, so iLO really helps with that."
  • "When we need to, we can get through to technical support and get the right person."

What other advice do I have?

With the DL380, you can't go wrong. There is no risk to go and take them. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Trusting that you will always have the right level of service. Support is key for that, and obviously knowing that the servers are used by thousands and thousands of other people. That they will be tried and tested. It is reassuring.
    BV
    Marketing Specialist
    ​It is very stable. I can rate it as a 99.99% stable server.

What is our primary use case?

ML380 ProLiant servers are really excellent servers on the ISMP side. Their performance is very highly satisfying, and it is a good product from HPE.

• "​It is very stable. I can rate it as a 99.99% stable server from HPE.​ There is zero downtime, especially in the ProLiant 380 series.​"
    • "The scalability is very high in 380, so instead of using the high-end servers, you can use multiple servers and segregate the applications between the servers. ​"
    • "A better option would be same day support, not next business day."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * The vendor guys should know the product well. * They can recommend the right solution. HPE has a wide range of products in its portfolio. So, the vendor team must know HPE products and provide the right product to the customers.
    Software Operations Engineer at Agfa Healthcare
    Stable and runs our software

What is our primary use case?

Our software is working on it, so it's very useful for our company. I'm not using it myself, but we are responsible for selling it together with our software.

• "We'd like to see better processors, better Intel processors. That's the most important for us at this moment."
      • "It's scalable but we are switching to workstation for some software because the CPU speed isn't fast enough anymore."

What other advice do I have?

When we look to work with a vendor, we look for stability. That's the most important. What is very important is that the systems are delivered on time. At this moment, that's a big problem, because of the hurricane in Houston, probably. Also the team we're working with, because we have different countries that are ordering. It's on us to follow up on the deliveries.
      System Engineer Server Operation at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
      Easy to implement and maintain, consistently stable

What is most valuable?

It works It's easy to implement It's really good in terms of maintenance

What needs improvement?

The new function, which is coming at the moment, with the online firmware updates - that's one of the problems we're struggling with, with our customers, to have downtime - these live online updates are really, really a benefit we're waiting for.

More than five years.

It has been consistently stable over the years.

At the moment, all the migration from the rack mount to the enclosure systems, the implementation of storage - all of this is growing. With HPE, we have no problems in this area.

How is customer

Senior Systems Engineer
      Easy to use and reliable, consistently stable

How has it helped my organization?

It's easy to set up for the whole firm. Nobody has trouble with it.

What is most valuable?

Easy to configure Reliable

What needs improvement?

It's perfect. It could go faster all the time, but the next generation is always faster.

More than five years.

Consistently stable. It is 99.9999.

We only use it on single machines, and for VMware we use another product from Cisco.

I am not responsible for the tech cases, so I can't comment.

It's straightforward. We use Red Hat, it's straightforward. We go from five…
      IT Manager at AlgoSec
      Advanced and expanded CPUs enable us to upgrade our customers every few months

What other advice do I have?

I think that the most important thing that you need to look at is a company that will give them end to end support. HPE does that.
      Jr. System Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      ​HPE servers always deliver stunning stability and performance to our customers, and support from HPE is always nice and fast.​

What is most valuable?

HPE iLO remote console, Its hot-plug design is in almost every part of its servers.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

More cloud and mobile features for monitoring.

2.5 years.

Excellent.

It's straightforward and clear if we read the manual.

There’s Dell PowerEdge R series, but I prefer HPE for more…
      Vice President Information Technology at ADVA Optical Networking
      We run many apps on it, such as MS Exchange, test development systems, and SQL servers.

What other advice do I have?

The DL series it's quite easy to use. It's a commodity product and you can buy it at any reseller. If you have any technical reliability issues with other vendors, switch to the DL series.
      Senior Infrastructure Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      MSP
      We only have support staff in North America and in Europe, so it enables us to offer support globally in our other offices.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you get what you actually need rather than overpaying for something. Consider the different chips and memory that you can buy off the shelf. Make sure you're not over-spec or under-spec. Take your time.
      Server Management at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      A stable solution that saves us money.

What is most valuable?

Stability. That's about it.

How has it helped my organization?

It saves us money.

What needs improvement?

Lower price. You have to pay for some of the features after the fact.

It stays up.

When looking for a vendor, I look for cost and support.

The setup was straightforward.

We have very specific standards, and only HPE met them.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the product and look at the support. In the long term, the support of the hardware is crucial. It is not just about the price point.
      System Admin at American electric power
      Stability is better than the other alternatives that we have tried.

What other advice do I have?

Probably, you should evaluate the total cost of operation before you try and take orders. Check a cheaper solution.
      IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
      We understand what we're going to get in terms of the cost.

What other advice do I have?

We're a bit of an HPE shop. We've used Dell in other places, too, but generally, in terms of the price-point and quality of service it has always led us to HPE, so these are the main driving points for us. For companies like us, we want more than a server. When we buy servers then we want some level of software orchestration on top of it to help us deploy OS or hypervisor plus some form of high-level capacity/environment review. This is sort of happening with Generation nine and ten hardware but not as refined as what you get with Nutanix.
      IT Manager at a paper AND forest products with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The most valuable features are flexibility and scalability. It just works.

What other advice do I have?

Just make sure you look at the total cost of ownership and the long-term use case of what you're actually doing, versus the problem that you're trying to solve right now.
      Sr IT Analyst at Bayer Pharmaceuticals
      Scalability, rapidness, and computing are valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

You would be foolish not to be looking into HPE. A lot of their products seem very interesting and they are very useful in our field.
      Linux Admin at a media company with 10,001+ employees
      Some of the valuable feature are straightforward installation and less downtime.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is worth it. You should invest in it, go for it, and have fun with it.
      CTO at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
      It allowed us to consolidate our workloads. It allowed us to process the data more efficiently. To provide real time data for our end user applications.

What other advice do I have?

Work with HP to pilot before you go buy it.
      System Architect at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
      We have used these servers for several years throughout our data centers and they've proven to be very reliable.

What other advice do I have?

I mean, look at what other solutions are out there, and look up what your requirements are. For us, it's met all of our requirements. I don't think that the others could do that.
      UNIX Systems Specialist at Usps
      It reduces the amount of work that we have to do.

What other advice do I have?

As I said earlier, look at their maintenance support. The number of companies that they actually support. Those are big factors. And disaster recovery. That's what I would say.
      Cto at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      It builds very well, is easy to install, is easy to maintain, is easy to administer remotely.

What other advice do I have?

Get it because it will work very well for you.
      Senior Team Lead at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      The hardware is very toolless to work with, so when you have to do a part replacement it's very hands-on friendly.

What other advice do I have?

If they're not using HP today, I would highly suggest them to take a deep look at it, in the long run, even just as a starter. I'm not saying that Dell or others are bad, it's just, in the long run, I like the hardware layouts better in HP.
      Manager of Systems Engineering at Zayo
      The server hardware is valuable and it works. Some of the drivers cause crashes.

What other advice do I have?

It is solid hardware. I'd give them a list of the drivers to rip out before the builds. I've done that before, actually, because most of the drivers that I'm talking about cause hard crashes. The will cause a blue screen, and that impacts customers. Some versions are safe, and some versions are not safe.
      Systems Architect at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Allows us to equalize the direct servers of the VDI.

What other advice do I have?

Be careful when selecting the vendor. It has to be a partnership. If the vendor can't deliver what is expected, it's going to be a nightmare. It's going to affect your operations.
      System Enginner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      It has the scalability of the processors, high core counts, and additional memory capacity.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it and call HPE support if you get stuck.
      Enterprise Architect at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It is easy to configure and deploy.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely look at their solution.
      Senior Server Specialist at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Gives us the ability to manage centrally.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good investment and they should go for it.
      Data Center Manager at Mentor graphics
      We use it to host software development environments.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that they can't go wrong.
      Systems Manager at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      It allows us to provide continuity to the business.
      Security Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
      It is consistent and stable. I would like to load the system without having to make an external connection.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend HPE, but you have to be careful. Check if everything is compatible with what you currently have. You might upgrade part of a server, but not all of it. There can simply be incompatibility issues.
      Delivery Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
      It is stable and easier to maintain than other servers that we had before.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the applications they use, they should study the technical requirements, such as storage and processing power.
      Senior Network Enginner at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Some of the valuable features are Standardization and low-cost of ownership.

What other advice do I have?

HPE DLs are very easy to implement. There is a lot more manageability now than there used to be. The IDOL 4S is great at managing. When selecting a vendor, we like to have an all-in-one solution, i.e., one company behind all the different products. We like to be able to have support when needed and a partner who can give us stuff as we need it.
      Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
      Provides redundancy and insight to our actual data usage on our disk arrays.
      Senior Technology Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
      We can isolate the customer's various stuff onto machines that have everything dedicated.
      Network Analyst at a local government with 501-1,000 employees
      I just like their reliability.

What other advice do I have?

Just make sure you size it right off the bat. Make sure you know what you want.
      Tech Spealist at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      Their modularity offers good local storage and connectivity options.

What other advice do I have?

You wouldn’t regret purchasing this solution. However, do your homework on your needs and talk to relevant guys for any info you are missing. HPE offers three rack mount server categories and several models in each variant. Carefully choose the one that suits you the best. There are those that occupy 2U and others that occupy 1U. This could bring down the space and rack usage drastically. Take the following steps: * Find out the compatible processors from the server specifications. * Visit Intel‘s web site and carefully compare all the details of the supported processors. * Base your decision…
      Systems Architect at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
      Reliable servers which provide good scale and performance for our environment.

What other advice do I have?

Get multiple quotes, shop around. Keep your management/monitoring tools as vendor agnostic as possible to allow you to be more flexible in your hardware vendors.
      Sales
      It is advanced at low cost, with good service and a guarantee.

What is most valuable?

It is very advanced at low cost, with good service and a guarantee.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives you what you need with peace of mind because the system works. Service usually is provided within four hours.

It is very stable. I see that it works. I don’t find many problems that require calling a technician to solve. It gives you peace of mind.

What we usually do is evaluate our customers’ needs and find a solution that suits them. We don’t sell the same product to everybody, but we consider the size of the company and other factors. It is scalable for small businesses and large.

Customer Operation Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
      Its scalability and clustering features are valuable.

What is most valuable?

Scalability Availability It’s robust Clustering Virtualization I can do with it almost everything within minutes.

How has it helped my organization?

It reduced costs and time.

I would say it's not the top of the line, but it's near the top. We had some cracks in the past but stability is high. It's not outstanding, but it's high.

For these kinds of features themselves, scalability is OK, but I expect much better performance from the scalability. There are some features that are quite slow and we have faced some issues with them in the past.

We have used technical support twice and it was slow.…
      IT Manager
      It is flexible and stable. Technical support is efficient.

What other advice do I have?

Buy Synergy. :) Look for the flexibility of the system; and get everything from one partner. The most important criteria when we choose a vendor is the range of products available. HPE has a huge range of products: switches, servers, storage systems, and so on.
      Operations Manager at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Training people to use them is easy. They are reliable and stable.

What other advice do I have?

In a vendor, good technical support and product reliability are key. If you ask my head of finance, it will be money. Availability, support, reliance, and reliability are absolute.
      System Management Engineer at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The quality and backup support are reliable.

What other advice do I have?

Have no doubts you'll be getting a product that will work. It will do what you want, as long as you follow the guidelines and best practices. You should speak to other people. The product will just tick along for its lifecycle. You will get the odd issue but it's fixable. We've been more than happy with the DL product that we've used. We never buy them when they first come out; we always wait 6-12 months to buy them. Let somebody else do the testing during the first six months, even though they should be tested.
      SCADA & Telemetry Engineer team manager (Industrial supervision) at Air Liquide
      It provides redundancy, flexibility, and compatibility with operating systems.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, it's good to have a real relationship in order to get a reliable, ascertainable, and a flexible solution. With this solution, you can close your eyes and you can use it because it's a very stable and personable tool. There is a real relationship between HPE and the customer, and they support you during all the steps you take.
      Head Of Server Operations at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
      Commonality between systems makes it easy to manage.

What other advice do I have?

Investigate some use case scenarios relevant for your daily business perspective, for example: * What do you need to do to change defective hardware in your system? * What do you need to do to upgrade your systems? Check the workflows: * How easy is it to change the parts? * How easy is it to access the server? Do you have the right documentation already in the server, like it is for HPE; or do you need external sources to know what you are doing?
      Manager Cloudservices Virtualisation IaaS + Linux at a government with 10,001+ employees
      Stable solution for infrastructure as a service.

What other advice do I have?

We do a mini competition a few times a year and we buy a lot of servers. This is needed in the Netherlands. We started to use HPE. We are looking for basic functionality and see if the solution conforms with open standards. When choosing a product, price is an issue. If two products have the same specifications, then we have to choose the one with the lowest price. My advice is to decide if you want a cheap and bad server, or if you want a stable and good server.
      Infrastructure Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
      Scalable solution that can be customized to match service needs.

What other advice do I have?

We go through software purchasing cycles and we know roughly when, in the lifetime, we need to purchase certain key infrastructure components. We also have the ad hoc requests where we need to get a certain per-line, server-specific, full requirements, and then we buy as we need it. When selecting a vendor, trust is the main issue. I'd suggest others seriously consider HPE as a service solution. Our experience has been pretty positive. Based upon that I, would recommend HPE products.
      Connect Germany at Westfälische Wilhelms-University
      You have a consistent way of managing them across all of the lines. Support for hardware is more challenging than for other sides.

What other advice do I have?

For the server technology, most of the features you can nowadays find with most of the vendors, so they're probably at the stage where HPE was five years ago. The ecosystem is so mature and still evolving. There's nothing like, "Hey we have this feature, we don't change it." The management, the procurement, the provisioning, all of that is really kicking off going forward. Probably with the next generation, I’d gave it a higher rating.
      Head of Windows Server Trading International at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We like the reliability and supportability. When we upgrade our drivers and other software, we can smoothly roll it out to the enterprise.

What other advice do I have?

My main advice is to standardize your internal offering. So, if you are buying something you're going to sell internally, which is effectively what I am doing, I'm selling a service, try to standardize it to a degree rather than having custom fixes for every internal customer. Then you've got some uniformity across your offering internally. When choosing a vendor, there are two main requirements. One is for a solid, stable product. That's number one. The second thing is the ability to be able to make the deal. With our vendors, we have kind of a mixed bag. One of them doesn't really deliver on…
      Chief Technological Officer at Zwise s.a.
      Reliable hardware that is easy to set up.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, the ratio between the price and quality is the main thing. I don't want to be spending too much, but I still want to get good quality. It just depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a very inexpensive, bare bones server, then you should go for a cheaper solution. If you are looking to buy a bunch of servers, then go to Dell, for example, because they're very aggressive with their prices. HPE is just in between. It's very good. It is a bit more expensive than the others, but the quality is where you expect it to be.
      IT Director at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
      A reliable solution to run standard and proprietary applications.

What other advice do I have?

HPE has excellent maintenance agreements. They provide on-site, 24-hour response times. They deliver agreements. We're not ones to readily replace equipment so they have good extended warranties, which we rely on pretty regularly. This was one of the more important criteria because I work for a law firm and they're not big on shelling out money, unless they absolutely have to. We get the biggest bang for the buck with HPE. Again, I think it's the warranty service that you receive from the HPE that makes the difference. It's reliable. You should always shop around for price. Vendors are always…
      IT Manager at MA Automotive Tool & Die (South Africa)
      Implementation and setup is all wizard-driven.

What other advice do I have?

Absolutely HPE. Absolutely happy with it.
      IT Manager at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      A stable, reliant platform we chose because of price. iLO license management must be better.

What other advice do I have?

Have a deep look at the HPE products. They are a market leader, by the numbers. Have a look at them; make a thorough comparison.
      Solutions Engineer at AmWINS Group, Inc.
      The iLO is the biggest reason to buy ProLiant

What other advice do I have?

I think it's the best server you can possibly buy. I have recently had more exposure to Dell and Cisco products to compare with and I stand by the DL line as the best server and it is primarily because of iLO.
      Software Test Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
      Its Virtual Connect technology simplifies networking configuration. The product must support high-speed network adapters to meet customer expectations.

What other advice do I have?

One must be aware of the objectives he/she is expecting. Thorough research about the product and the reviews is always advisable from my end. If it fits in, the user can very well carry on.
      Systems Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
      We have standardized our network on this equipment, so it makes it easy for maintenance and repairs.

What other advice do I have?

I'd encourage them to use it. For the price and the functionality you get out of it, they work out great.
      Sr. Systems Engineer at Cardinal Glass
      I really like the way we can do the storage in cells. I would like serial number tracking to be improved.

What other advice do I have?

For me, they key things are reliability, and ease of use. Then the pricing's good as well.
      Systems Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
      The iLO has been a solid out-of-band management tool for us.

What other advice do I have?

If we were to move away from using Proliants and HP, I think I'd be disappointed. I've had nothing but good experiences really, racking stacking and deploying to ProLiants. Based on my track record I would say that's probably a pretty good path to go down.
      IT Director at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We like the reliability and the iLO abilities of the server.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell them to strongly take a look at the HPE. Go ahead and do a bake off if you want to. If they want to prove a concepts with the Dells, Dells will give them a way to you to try them out. If you rack them up side-by-side, I think all the features set and just the reliability of HPE makes them come out ahead.
      Senior Datacenter Specialist at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
      Good for applications that you use really heavy disk IO. I'm not a fan of their rails.

What other advice do I have?

Get on it with OneView, because it's that single pane of glass, you can manage your blades, your DLs, and your 3PAR, all using that one tool.
      Technical Analyst at CAE
      It's a line that I'm comfortable with. I think it's something that HPE has put the investment into for the long-term.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the ProLiant line very highly because you see the commitment of them building on it, and to me that's important.
      Manager, Service Delivery at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
      When we have issues that require more technical support, the support from HPE has been pretty top notch.

What other advice do I have?

I always have colleagues who are looking to implement new servers within their divisions. As part of my responsibility, I am the conduit by which divisions can seek out additional assistance for getting servers. I am in that space a lot. I typically go over the benefits that we see within our global IT group and explain to them the efficiencies that can be seen by going to the ProLiant platform. Showing how the system can provide good alerting, good stability, and explaining that within the global IT group, if they have additional concerns or needs, that we can support them because we use the…
      IT Manager for Infrastructure at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We've got some that have been out of warranty for four, five years and they're still running.

What other advice do I have?

We've been extremely happy all along. I don't see a reason to go anywhere else. I don't see a reason to even try different things. For us right now getting adventurous is we bought a DL360 instead of a 380 and it's like, wow, that's a little small.
      Senior Systems Engineer at a university with 10,001+ employees
      It has easy manageability, and with iLO we are able to do everything remotely.

What other advice do I have?

Proliant, they're fine. I mean it's compute, it's pretty hard to mess it up these days.
      IT Director of Technology at Resorts World Las Vegas
      It's dependable, and they keep maturing the product.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the Hyper Converged as everything's going to virtual, so look at the ProLiant in a Hyper Converged space.
      Technical Advisor - IT Service Management (ITSM) at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
      The scalability and the form factor plays well into our data center infrastructure.
      Chief Digital Officer, Director at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
      We rarely have a failure and it just keeps working.
      Vice President at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
      Reseller
      Leaderboard
      Very versatile, scalable, plenty of storage and compute density
      The DL380 G7 Server is dual socket, 2U rack server. Up to Two Intel’s Xeon 5500 or 5600 series processors are supported in this system for up to 12 cores. A maximum of 18 DIMMs with dual CPUs can support either 384 GBs of RDIMMs , or a maximum of 12 slots for 48 GBs of UDIMMs. Depending on the processor, this server supports memory speeds of up to 1333MHz For hard drives, you can use up to 8 hot-plug SFF drives or 16 SFF hot-plug SATA, SSD,or SAS drives. For storage options, you can use HP’s Integrated Smart Array P410i for RAID 0, 1 or 1+0. Higher levels of RAID are supported with cache modules of 256 or 512MB battery backed cache or with 512MB or 1GB flash backed cache. Add an Advanced Pack License to activate RAID 6 and 6+0 capabilities.…
      Senior SQL Server Consultant at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The P830 controller card with the SAS expander gives us performance on 10K SAS discs.
      CEO at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
      We can download all the firmware, drivers, agents, utilities, and any other software as a single download.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend you use them, especially if you have other HP products.
      Network Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It's provided our customers a cost efficient solution that performs well.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, we have a good partnership with HP and we are heavily invested in them.
      Global Active Directory & Security Manager - VP at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      There are several valuable features of these servers, including their reliability, the general standardization of components, expandability, and support.
      IT Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
      We need its flexibility in adding new components and blades to our existing infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for high-performance computing, then blade technology is the best you can get. Also, if you're looking for GPU power, then these are the servers for you.
      IT Director at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
      We don’t need to do a lot of maintenance on the servers, so we need less people needed to manage them.
      Manager IT Technical Services at a engineering company with 10,001+ employees
      The iLO feature is essential because it provides us with server management capabilities and we have a distributed-base installation.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend them, but make sure you've planned the right management options, power supplies, and other technical specifications. Make sure, also, that you get the extended warranty.
      Director of IT at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The most valuable feature we saw is that the performance is better and it's easier to manage.

What other advice do I have?

Perform a comparison between the same level of quality, same level of service, and same level of performance, and choose the product. I think you will find it the most suitable one for you.
      Senior Technical Analyst at Wolseley

Valuable Features

The most valuable features for us are the stability and scalability of these servers. However, what's truly key is the support we get.

Room for Improvement

They're very slow to boot up. And we can have issues with the driver sets for all operating systems as well. The blade enclosures themselves, though, are leading-edge technology. I think the problem is that we're not geared up for automating the build process. We're still manually deploying servers.

Use of Solution

We're still using the Gen 8 blades, though we've bought many of the new ones and we're going to install them soon.

We've had quite a few issues doing the initial builds and getting the operating system up and running.

It is very stable. HP products…
      Network Administrator at CSC Finland
      It's like a RAID 6 set-up so that I don't have to worry about just one broken hard drive. I'd like to see faster memory chips.
      Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      You turn them on and you can forget about them. I find the software for the servers can sometimes be a bit flaky.
      Systems Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It's low maintenance in that we don't have to spend a ton of time configuring it.
      Head of IT Operations and Support at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It fits well with our architecture in terms of hardware, software, and VMware implementations.
      IT Consultant/Architect at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      With the DL380 on local discs, we get lots of performance where other systems will connect to a traditional SAN-based storage.

What other advice do I have?

Look for performance specs. There's a lot of high-end servers being sold in the market with quite low specs.
      IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
      They improve our ability to perform everyday tasks crucial to our business, as well as allow for easy administration from an IT perspective.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend purchasing an HP server product
      Principal Systems Engineer at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employees
      It has scaled well for our environment, and there won't be issues so long as firmware updates are applied prior to deployment.

What other advice do I have?

Overall the HP Proliant servers have been dependable and fit nicely into the price vs performance that is required for custom application stack. HP Proliant servers are rock solid and when you need technical support HP’s team is there to support you with answers, no matter how long it takes to properly identify the root cause and then propose a solution.
      Team Manager at a outsourcing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Its fault tolerance is high, providing the capability of a reaction against a “disaster”, and the failure rate is low. When there are hardware failures, however, it's not easily fixable.
      Information Security Analyst at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
      I like the different form factors and small footprint. I would like to see more options beyond the ROM configurations for High Power computing and ULV deployments.

Valuable Features

Different form factors Small footprint Good compromise between pricing schema and available options Support and care packs add-ons

Improvements to My Organization

The product fits well between tight budgets and horizontal expansions.

Room for Improvement

More options beyond the ROM configurations for High Power computing and ULV (Ultra Low Voltage) deployments.

Use of Solution

I've used the ProLiant servers since 2005.

The G6 was not a stable product.

If you had a Care Pack in place, the support was 9/10. In case you were left with no Care Pack, the best-effort option was worth nothing.

Many times the setup had to be agreed and consulted with HP representatives and technical…
      Storage Systems Specialist at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      We've used SmartArray to take care of RAID rebuilding and increased our shelves-per-server count without issue.

What is most valuable?

The HP SmartArray, as this takes care of RAID rebuilding.

How has it helped my organization?

I've used 350 disks, had eight disk replacements, and two controllers over three years.

What needs improvement?

Better power usage monitoring would be nice.

I used it for three years.

When replacing RAID card in the server one must re-install the license for ADG/RAID6.

No issues encountered.

We increased the amount of shelves per server to six, and we have had no issues.

Customer Service: Great,…
      System Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
      We looked at IBM, Lenovo and Dell. We chose HP because they had the right combination of factors for us.

What is most valuable?

With x86 hardware, a lot of it is the same. The value goes back to HP's willingness to partner and HP having a roadmap for the x86 platform.

How has it helped my organization?

No issues with stability or other major issues.

No issues with stability or other major issues.

HP is a market leader for scalability and additions.

Support has been helpful. Both customer and technical support have been very responsive to help make things right.

It was a market shift into x86 hardware and more commodity-based hardware.

How was the initial

Director of Infrastructure with 501-1,000 employees
      Our biggest problem is spontaneous growth. We sign new customers and our processing requirement levels spike, and we needed to meet that demand.

What other advice do I have?

It’s good, but the display ports are ill-designed. We look for stability when choosing a new vendor. It’s extremely important to us. But, find a local partner to make sure that you make the right choice. I’m from Montreal, so I use ACCII, so build your order to fit your needs. Understand all the options available to you to fit your workload, not the other way around.
      Chief Information Officer at Poder Judicial
      Due to the fact that our software is web-enabled for both internal and external users, we needed a powerful and simple to use solution.

What other advice do I have?

We have a private-cloud data center, but we also host publicly for some customers. The software that we’re offering to our buyers is web-enabled for both internal and external users. So the servers needed to be powerful and simple to use. For me, in the public sector, it was never that concerning for us to get the latest release of servers. Our users were satisfied with using older servers that served their needs just fine, and it saved us a lot of money as we didn’t have to pay the premium for the newest servers. HP has been very good for us. I would recommend buying exactly what you need and…
      Vice President at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
      Reseller
      Leaderboard
      Versatile with high performance. Not Cheap
      Here is an upbeat informative video overview of the HP ProLiant DL360 Gen 9 rack server: