Microsoft PowerApps OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft PowerApps is #1 ranked solution in top Low-Code Development Platforms and #2 ranked solution in top Rapid Application Development Software. IT Central Station users give Microsoft PowerApps an average rating of 8 out of 10. Microsoft PowerApps is most commonly compared to Oracle Application Express (APEX):Microsoft PowerApps vs Oracle Application Express (APEX). Microsoft PowerApps is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is Microsoft PowerApps?

PowerApps enables a broad range of app scenarios to be created that infuse digital transformation into manual and outdated processes. Use both canvas and model-driven apps to build PowerApps that solve business problems for task and role-specific scenarios like inspections, field sales enablement, prospect to cash, and integrated marketing views.

Microsoft PowerApps is also known as PowerApps, MS PowerApps.

Microsoft PowerApps Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft PowerApps Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Microsoft PowerApps Customers

TransAlta, Rackspace, Telstra

Microsoft PowerApps Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft PowerApps pricing:
  • "It is comparable to other similar solutions."
  • "If you start to use any premium connectors that are not stored in a SharePoint list or on an Excel workbook, then it costs $4 per user per month. If you want unlimited, it's about $16 per month for unlimited apps, and unlimited connectors."
  • "There are two licensing costs, one is pay-as-you-go, or you can develop it for one year."

Microsoft PowerApps Reviews

AR
Principal at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
Great for quickly making apps, with reasonable pricing, but doesn't scale well externally

• "The solution is excellent at figuring how to build an application in three months. It makes it very quick and easy."
  • "The documentation isn't great. It's only 75% of what you need to know. If you go beyond that and run into issues, it's really not going to help you."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for its business application. My business needed an application and so that's what we're using Power Apps for.

How has it helped my organization?

We've been pleased with it. I would say that it has improved the way our organization functions. It makes app-building faster and easier.

What is most valuable?

The solution is excellent at figuring how to build an application in three months. It makes it very quick and easy.

The pricing is very reasonable. it's not overly expensive.

What needs improvement?

I can't recall any missing features. Currently, the solution is doing a good job of meeting my needs.

My target is to have an application that I can use for clients. I don't see Power Apps as being the long-term solution. They get expensive when you start to go to non-internal users. If there were to be external users, the solution would get expensive.

For example, the software is almost guilty of being too powerful. The particular problem I had was that they recommended that I use Azure to do the login, to do the user authentication. Therefore, I set it up. However, it didn't work. I could not find the solution via documentation or online at all. Without knowing I could access technical support, I paid someone a couple of hundred dollars to try and figure it out for me and they couldn't figure it out. Eventually, I was just looking around and I came across one setting hidden away and it was set to false. I instinctively realized that it looked like it might be related and so I set it to true and all of a sudden everything worked. However, that whole issue could have been mitigated if the documentation just took that extra step and got into the nuances of the product.

What I'd love to see them do is to sit down and clean up the interfaces. There are three different ways that you can program. I'm particular to using a Power Apps portal. There are three different ways I can edit my Power Apps portal website. Each of them kind of does a better job of doing some things than the other ones do. Therefore you're kind of in this in-between realm of having to choose between certain things if you decide to go with a specific approach. They really need to clean up the development environment so that t's straightforward and predictable across the different ways to program.

It does things, such as, if you want to delete a particular field or table, you get this message that says you can't due to the fact that it has dependencies. It's really hard to find what those dependencies are. Items like that need to be clarified.

The application is working great now, however, every once in a while it gets complicated and it's hard to navigate.

I've recently delved into using the product. I've been using the solution for at least the last seven or eight months or so. It's been less than a year. I haven't used it that long just yet.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. its performance is reliable.

The scalability is limited if you want to scale externally. A company needs to keep that in mind.

I only launched my first application sometime around Christmas, or just after. It's still quite new. I have about a dozen or so people that move in and out of it. It's just a small app.

As a company, we are quite small. All of our users would be external. And, due to the fact that the solution gets expensive for external users, it's not a solution we plan to expand upon or use for the long term.

The technical support is not easy to find. It's a bit of a well-kept secret. However, once you locate them, they are quite helpful and responsive.

Truthfully, they are hard to find due to the fact that you just don't realize they're there. I had spent a month, six weeks phoning around trying to find internet solutions to problems and resources and paying people to help me, and nobody knew the answer.

This was done without ever realizing that there was a very capable tech support resource available in Power Apps through the subscription. Once we found them, they were able to fix all of the issues we were struggling with very quickly.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the setup process. It's not overly complex.

The pricing is excellent. It's not too expensive.

However, once you get into adding non-internal users, the solution can get pricey. It's only reasonable if you are trying to create internal team-based apps.

I haven't looked at any other low-code development platform.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users.

We are using the latest version of the solution.

From a perspective of me doing a full test of the application and how I want it to run, it just met all of my needs and there are other storage locations for data. That said, the data is sitting in the CDS.

From my perspective, it was a great place to start and a great place to sit and test the waters. I'm looking to migrate it into something else in a little while. I won't stay with it forever. That's not the plan.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Ameer Ali
Executive Director at Ali 4 Solutions FZE
Creates applications quickly, is simple to use, has competitive pricing, and is easy to scale

• "When I am developing any user UI, it gives me complete flexibility. I can manage in any way I want."
  • "When it comes to PowerApps, debugging can be difficult at times. It would be beneficial to simplify it."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT consulting company. We provide IT solutions to other companies.

We have had a few different requirements, one requirement was to create a simple online form that can be used by the clinics. When patients arrive, they will be given a TAB, to complete the form, which will be printed directly to the receptionist, once they complete the form.

Another application was supply chain management. Using PowerApps, we replicated the entire supply chain management. The corporate users will send the requisition to the purchasing department for review and approval, after which it will be distributed to prospective vendors.

Vendors will then submit their quotes for review. Multiple quotes can also be reviewed concurrently. This is all done with PowerApps. After they have reviewed them, they can select a vendor and process the PO.

In the third scenario, we developed a public relations system that you would find here in the UAE.

PROs must manage and obtain visa permissions in the United Arab Emirates. We have documentation with a two-year expiration date. As a result, we've developed a document management system that uses a Power Automated workflow system to view the alert and process the documents for all employees.

These are the workflows that we have worked on recently and have been created using Microsoft PowerApps and Power Automate.

What is most valuable?

Because there is no need for lengthy code, applications can be created quickly. That's the beauty of PowerApps in general, whether I'm using Power Automate or PowerApps for UI development. And the UI is very user-friendly.

When I am developing any user UI, it gives me complete flexibility. I can manage in any way I want.

It is constantly being improved. I've been using it for three years and have noticed that upgrades are happening on a regular basis, and it's becoming more and more user-friendly, both for developers and for users.

We can now also share it on Microsoft Teams. As a result, it is becoming increasingly powerful.

It is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

A web interface is one thing that I don't see. I can create an interface for mobiles and tabs but only for PowerApps.

If you can have something like Power Web with it, that will be a classic because we are developing user interfaces, but we cannot access those user interfaces using a browser.

If we can get into that mode of publishing for the public users, which is something different, and I am not sure how that can be done, but I'm sure we can come up with something.

We occasionally have some issues where we can't grant access until and unless a user is created in Active Directory. This is something that should be worked on, and when it is, it will be powerful.

I have been working with Microsoft PowerApps for three years.

We are working with the latest version.

We have not had any performance issues, or any other issues, because it is on the cloud.

We are completely satisfied with Microsoft PowerApp's stability.

Because almost everyone uses Office 365, it is very simple to scale Microsoft PowerApps.

Our company has five developers among its users. Our clients, on the other hand, vary; we have one client who has over 500 users.

I've spoken with technical support, and they're fantastic. They provide you with a very good response from the moment you launch your ticket.

On a few occasions, when I launched a ticket, I receive full support and they were able to help me with everything.

We use Office 365 online which includes Microsoft PowerApps, Power Automate, and Power BI.

The initial setup is extremely simple for me. I am an IT professional, but it is easy, even for others.

I have worked with many who have been using other tools and when they were introduced to PowerApps, they expressed that it is amazing.

It didn't take long for me to install, only a couple of minutes, because I've been using Office 365 since 2013, but I've never used PowerApps before. I started only recently, in 2018.

One of my clients asked me to create a small app in PowerApps for him. That's where we began. I had a PowerApps application ready in a week.

We don't require any maintenance as it is on the cloud.

Microsoft's pricing is comparable with other similar solutions.

I had evaluated Mendix. We prefer Microsoft, we have used Microsoft from the beginning.

What other advice do I have?

I am a VB developer. I began my career in 1995 or 1996. I'm a die-hard VB developer, and I love PowerApps because, I used to write a lot of code, but now with PowerApps, things are so simple and easy, we can have customized applications for end users in no time at all.

Aside from standard ERP and solutions, businesses still have a high demand for customized or tailor-made user interfaces. That is where I believe PowerApps is extremely useful.

As an IT company, I would strongly recommend this solution to anyone who is interested. It is one of the best tools available. If you are a Microsoft fan, you will definitely enjoy this product.

As IT consultants we have provided support and trained a couple of customers who are using it and also enjoying it.

I would rate Microsoft PowerApps a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft PowerApps. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,305 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DavidGerard
Business Intelligence Consultant at FumAstra Management Consulting
Affordable, customizable, and easy to set up

• "There are a lot of different applications; you can connect PowerApps, or Flow, or Power BI to many different types of applications to interchange data."
  • "The solution is evolving very fast and every month new features are introduced. Sometimes it's difficult to catch up with all the evolution that's happening. I had to focus on Power BI for a while and left PowerApps at the side for a couple of months and when I came back, it had changed its interface and moved components around."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to create and arrange a number of requests, including requests for expenses, requests for leave, requests for documents, etc. Depending on the type of business, we can customize the request application.

How has it helped my organization?

In our organization, PowerApps is used to manage internal requests for expenses, leaves, documents, company resources. One connects to the application, enter the details of the requests and the request flows directly to the appropriate approvers. Less paperwork and more efficient management of the requests.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the fact it is highly customizable. All types of forms can be created to collect information, pictures, and files. With PowerApps, you can connect your application to a wide variety of databases and applications where your data lives to read or write to it. If a connector doesn't exist, it's also possible to create a custom one.

With a plan starting at 10 USD, it makes it very affordable for anyone to create a low-code, no-code application. Very little costs are needed to run the solution. Furthermore, PowerApps has a community plan for free, and usually offer a trial period of about 2 months. Plenty of time and potential to learn, discover and develop.

The solution has a large community, so it's quite easy to find tutorials, how-to, and help.

PowerApps is part of the PowerPlatform from Microsoft, with Flow, or Power BI and enhances the possibilities to collect data, to automate processes, and to create rich and visually appealing data visualizations.

What needs improvement?

The solution is evolving very fast and every month new features are introduced. Sometimes it's difficult to catch up with all the evolution that's happening. I had to focus on Power BI for a while and left PowerApps at the side for a couple of months and when I came back, it had changed its interface and moved components around.

Some connectors are not very easy to use and sometimes they lack proper documentation.

There should be better connectivity with other applications. I tried connecting with IBM and it brings errors at each refresh. The PostgreSQL connector is useless as it doesn't work. There's a lot of research needed and you often need to download extra drivers or equivalent components that end up not working well.

I've been using the solution for a year now.

The solution is very stable. There are a few issues with the environment, where we would have needed to create a new one. This would have been a problem if we had a lot of data. However, but I haven't faced any stability issues.

Scalability is okay, but they recently changed the pricing. Depending on what we do and what we use it for, the pricing is a bit confusing now. They're also offering a bit of a delay on the adjusted pricing for those who have a certain subscription, so I'm still figuring out what that means for us.

Technical support is very fast, with answers within 24 hours. Most of the time they either call directly or send an email. I've found them very good and they are helpful. They try to give a solution and offer direct service.

I've had experience with IBM and it was a bit more difficult to find the right solution and obtain results. As with some other PRN providers, I was expecting a slower turnaround, so this has been a nice surprise. Microsoft and PowerApps have been very good.

The solution is very easy to set up. Deployment is almost instantaneous. It's on the cloud, so you connect the logins and it's ready to go. You don't have to download it onto any device.

I handled the implementation myself.

The pricing is pretty good. Right now, I'm paying for a two or three-month trial that is priced well. This trial period gives a company time to try an application, develop it, test it, and decide as to whether they will go ahead and pay for a modular plan.

I find their pricing quite affordable.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model. I'm a consultant; I work mainly with other companies.

Already with what exists, the solution is quite good and we can do quite a lot. I don't think too much can be improved.

I'd advise others to make sure they have good parameters and documentation before they get started. It's a good idea to follow the tutorial at the beginning. There are a lot of things about the solution that are good to understand beforehand, including how the different components work.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. For me, it has worked very well.

RE
Director, Product Management at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Great for making apps quickly, and quick to get started, but an immature product

• "As a business person, I design a lot of screens. The solution really resonates with me. Their design is amazing."
  • "The solution needs a bit more refinement in general."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to create apps for business users which navigates them from within our platforms.

What is most valuable?

There are lots of good videos on Youtube that are available to help users train themselves on the product and understand its intricacies. They have a workshop that allows you to learn the product in a day.

You are able to create a screen app within a day once you get the hang of everything.

There are great templates on offer that make creating apps easy. They have galleries that help you pick predefined templates. You can also standardize these. It's low effort and low code. However, if you want to code more and have code validation or mobile, you can do that as well.

They have a web version of the solution, as well as a version for tablets.

What needs improvement?

The solution is pretty difficult to understand. You need to educate yourself on the product in order to be able to effectively use it.

The solution needs a bit more refinement in general.

It's still a new product. There's a lot of improvements that can be made from a useability perspective.

There needs to be better guides and documentation available for new users in order to help them properly understand the product and how to use it.

I started using the solution after Power Automate, and therefore I started learning more about Power Apps probably last year in August. I would estimate I started on it in or around July and August of last year.

The solution is definitely stable. I haven't had any issues with it in that regard. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's good.

Scalability-wise, I haven't put any complexity behind my apps yet. I haven't really experimented with scaling them up. From what I can see on the tutorial videos I've found, it seems to be possible. However, I have not directly attempted to scale anything so far. I couldn't speak from personal experience on the matter. I'd love for it to be possible.

I do plan to increase usage in the future. There are a few people who have seen my apps who have definitely reached out to me and said, "Oh, this is great." I help them understand how you can use Power Apps themselves as not many people knew about the product before they saw my work.

More and more people are using it within the organization. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, however. I still have not set up any session for Power Apps for training. I've done sessions for Power Automate, Excel, Word, and SharePoint. There just needs to be more training for awareness. This is a relatively new product. Maybe that's why it doesn't yet have the visibility.

I don't really use technical support at all. All my questions when I reached out to technical support, were directing me to Power Apps In a Day - the training session. I did that and they'd answer all my questions. I did have a few questions based on a few functionalities, which I went on the Microsoft site to find answers to. I basically found two blogs. I understood that those functionalities are not yet there. I put down my feedback in terms of it should be there or not. Then that was it.

I don't really directly communicate with Microsoft technical support. You need to go out and find your own answers online.

We did not previously use a different solution.

There isn't an implementation process for the product. It is on the cloud. Everything is pretty automatic. In that sense, it's rather straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult. It's on the user accounts. I just go ahead and start creating my app from there.

I'm not sure of the cost of the solution. That's not an aspect of the solution I handle.

What other advice do I have?

I am using the latest version of the solution. I'm unsure of the exact version number.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

In general, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. We've mostly been satisfied with the product, however, it is still immature and needs time for tweaks and advancements.

Kamesh Gunupur
Vice President - Information Systems at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to create and deploy apps, but needs more RPA capabilities

• "The initial setup is very simple."
  • "There are occasional performance challenges."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as part of Dynamics 365 Online. Within that, we use Power Apps and we've integrated something on the on-prem database.

The app is located within Dynamics 365 Online. It draws data from an on-prem data source. We use it to perform certain actions in Teams, so we have Dynamics 365 and Teams integration.

We've created an email reader using Power Apps.

What is most valuable?

The solution is pretty easy to create and deploy apps.

You don't need a very high level of technical knowledge. Of course, you do need some level of technical knowledge, however, a normal developer can easily learn and deploy Power Apps.

The initial setup is very simple.

The solution scales well.

What needs improvement?

They need a bit of RPA functionalities. There are other competitive products such as ServiceNow and Automation Anywhere. They offer exhaustive functionalities. Power Apps as a platform maybe need some ready-made templates that could be deployed. That would help.

There are occasional performance challenges.

The product could do some integrations with third-party providers. That can be still expanded. They do have a decent number of integrations and connectors available, however many of those connectors only offer the basic functionalities. I'd like to see better, wider connectivity.

I've used the solution for six to eight months at this point. It's been less than a year.

In general, the product works fine. That said, there are occasional challenges in performance and when you actually have Power Apps working with other products on Power Platform, such as the Power Automate, et cetera. By and large, however, it's pretty stable.

We have about 300 users on the solution currently. We do have approximately 700 plus users on Dynamics 365, however, not all of them are using Power Apps.

The solution is pretty easy to scale.

We pretty much use this solution on a daily basis. It's used a lot.

We reached out to technical support just once where Power Automate wasn't actually triggering an event. Apart from that one ticket, it's been working fine. We haven't really dealt with technical support too much.

We have normal support. We don't have Premier Support. Of course, the response time was about average when we used them. In the end, the issue was something to do with the core product, so they have actually had to take it up with the product engineering team at Microsoft as well.

I'm aware of ServiceNow and Automation Anywhere.

The initial setup is very straightforward and simple. It's not complex or difficult.

There was some background development involved during the deployment process.

The is no maintenance required.

We did not need any outside assistance from consultants or integrators. We handled it in-house ourselves.

The pricing is pretty good. Microsoft offers very good value for money.

Apart from the licensing, storage is actually the costliest part. One needs to actually look at how to optimize the use of storage as ultimately it's on the cloud. It's part of the Dataverse storage now, with Dynamics 365, Power Apps, et cetera. That bit of the offering is the costliest part.

The product license and platform licensing are good. That's definitely value for money compared to some of the other vendors. Microsoft is placed well. It's just the storage, as I said, that's costly.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users.

We are using the cloud version, and therefore we are going with whatever is the latest available functionality.

At least for the regular day-to-day work, one can build very useful apps with minimal investment. One can start fast. The only thing is, you need to have people actually experiment on this. Other than that, it's a good platform.

Currently, I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten right now, as there's continuous improvement that's happening and, once that happens, in the future, I will likely be rated even higher.

Microsoft Azure
CP
Senior Product Manager Digital Transformation at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great UI and an easy initial setup, however, users are limited to 2,000 records

• "There's a lot of online knowledge on the solution, to the point where new users can basically teach themselves how to use the solution."
  • "One of the major problems with it is what PowerApps calls the delegation warning. Regardless of what platform, data source, et cetera, that you're using, you can't retrieve more than 2000 records."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a general business process improvement. We use it as more of a digital transformation to eliminate some archaic manual processes that the business has built up over time. We're working to make everything more streamlined.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has allowed us to remove a lot of manual redundancies and to update and streamline our processes.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use due to expert UI. It is great.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The solution is limited in a very specific way. One of the major problems with it is what PowerApps calls the delegation warning. Regardless of what platform, data source, et cetera, that you're using, you can't retrieve more than 2000 records.

I connect to an Oracle server that has well over 150,000 records that business users want to see or could use at any given time. The only thing that I could surface in the app is a portion of up to 2000 records at one data call.

Due to this limitation, I have to build in options for the user to refine the search, to go back out to the server, and then pull back records that match that search as opposed to offering all 150,000+ records. You need to filter quite extensively. Microsoft refers to is as a "delegation issue".

I've only been using the solution for about a year. It hasn't been too long as of yet.

The stability has been very good. We've been pretty satisfied with it. It's not buggy. It doesn't crash.

You cannot scale with PowerApps. PowerApps is still very much a point solution. The size is the size.

We've dealt with technical support in the past. Everybody that we've worked with at Microsoft is phenomenal. They are always willing to help troubleshoot and get to the bottom of issues. That said, with PowerApps and even Power Automate, sometimes the teams at Microsoft still don't know why some issues occur or how to work around them.

I joined the company a year ago in September. I don't think they used anything prior to that beyond the citizen developer level. There might have been a solution that the actual coders used, however, I can't recall the product's name. It was a pretty standard Microsoft application in any case. It may have been Visual Studio.

The initial setup is not complex. It's quite straightforward.

For me, just using it on my own, I just used Google searches or YouTube to figure out how do this or fix and tie items together. After about a month of learning and experimenting, I had a pretty good handle on how PowerApps works.

The company as a whole used Microsoft consultants to set up a center of excellence.

The solution is free if you have a Teams account, or Office 365.

If you start to use any premium connectors that are not stored in a SharePoint list or on an Excel workbook, then it costs $4 per user per month. If you want unlimited, it's about $16 per month for unlimited apps and unlimited connectors.

There might potentially be a few other extra fees, however, I'm not sure what they are. Microsoft is one of those organizations that manage to nickel and dime its customers on everything.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

We are most likely using the most recent or updated version of the solution, however, I'm unsure of the exact version number.

While Microsoft is an option, I'd recommend users check out OutSystems first and see if it makes sense for them to use that before looking into Microsoft.

Overall, I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

Andy Chen
Information Technology Specialist at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees
Stable, easy to use, and simple to implement

• "The solution is very straightforward. Its context is obvious and everything is easy to understand."
  • "I have heard from developers that there is documentation missing in the reporting."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for in-house management.  For example, for human resources.

How has it helped my organization?

We are a small business. We keep up all sales and duties within our organization. One day someone might be part of the development team, however, next week we want him on the sales team to directly involve them in a small project that we've done for the client. We don't have to go to a different person from an agency or organization or have someone that is always dedicated to a position. We need to be flexible in order to move our employees from here to here. And this solution allows us to change or play around with our own system to reflect the changes of our personnel.

What is most valuable?

Compared to previous applications which developed by Visual Basic, we can quickly update the whole business process without spending weeks or a month dealing with those aspects.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any features that are lacking.

The pricing could always be less.

It would be useful if Power Apps were capable of providing more flexible reporting to allow the developer to really to manipulate the data, and get into more details - for example, why it's being changed and how it's been changed. If there was a way they could comment right in the reports, that would be very helpful.

There should be more document management capabilities.

We've been using the solution for a year and a half at this point.

The stability is pretty good from a business point of view. It was reliable and easy to understand and work with.

We haven't really tested the scalability, however, we've noticed that, since everyone is working from home, it's much slower than if everyone works from the office.

With everything going on, we don't really have the right scenario to really test for scalability. That may happen in the future. COVID-19 has put a lot of plans on hold.

We currently have 12 people using it. They are mostly project managers and developers. We also have two sales people and the CEO on it.

We've never had to reach out to technical support. That's a good thing. It means we haven't had any issues.

The last solution we used was old and it was built in-house. It was time to retire it, which is why we adopted this product.

Although I'm not the person who handles the initial setup, my understanding is that it's not too difficult and pretty straightforward.

Deployment typically takes two months. The last deployment we did started in May and was completed by July.

There isn't a lot of maintenance needed. We have one developer that's dedicated to the maintenance and changing the environment as needed. It's pretty hands-off though.

We handled the implementation ourselves. We didn't need any outside assistance.

The solution is subscription-based, however, I don't handle billing, and therefore don't have insights into the costs. We don't have any extras that we pay for. We just have a standard subscription package.

I'd recommend the solution. Overall, I'd rate it eight out of ten. If the reporting and pricing were better, I'd rate it higher.

I've definitely learned about the power of the cloud. Before everyone used to use the VPN connection to the head office. When we pushed into the cloud and everyone can just see everything and the system is very sound. It also allows our developers to see what they can change. It's been great.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

Hybrid Cloud
RC
Enterprise Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
No code, quick drag and drop, and a good user interface, but the data threshold limit needs to increase

• "I would say that the most valuable features are the user interface, navigation, and business routes."
  • "It has to improve the threshold limit where it can handle data beyond 5000 items."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft has come at the right time. To come out with a RAD (Rapid Application Development) tool where you can develop your apps on the cloud much faster, and deploy them for multiple devices, whether it is mobile, cloud, laptops, or desktops. It is similar to Oracle APEX or Oracle developer tools where you just drag and drop into your application within minutes.

The primary use case of this solution is case management reporting. If, for example, you have a set of engineers who have been assigned a particular case or project they will need to record all of their activities and their visits. Using the application created in PowerApps, they report everything, then it goes through a workflow.

The workflow goes from recording the daily activities of the team for the specific project. The project then goes through a series of approvals and gets logged, completed, and the report is generated.

Expenses are also being logged.

We have Power BI as well, and it moves the data from the source to the data warehouse then generates a report.

This is quite a short term, six-week engagement. We wanted to create an application and have it up and running within four to six weeks, rather than spending three to six months on bigger projects on the platform. We wanted it to be quick and fast.

PowerApps is best suited for those cases where you have a small scenario and an application to support that project or scenario. You can call these departmental applications, which are needed on the fly. We create a much shorter development lifecycle and then deploy, and then people start using it.

Take an example of the COVID-19 situation. We wanted all of our branches to log their COVID cases or what exactly are they doing daily to manage the COVID cases and to know what the process is. All of those details are logged into the COVID folder and then the reports are generated daily or weekly.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft PowerApps is a no-code solution.

I would say that the most valuable features are the user interface, navigation, and business routes.

It quickly drags and drops. It doesn't take much coding, there is no coding in fact. You drag and drop, select a few things to configure, and then read those applications in the user screens.

With business rules, you can just select and you don't need to elaborate coding or backend code. This way, it's much easier to write or create those applications using their features.

What needs improvement?

When you capture a lot of data, the data becomes enormous. It's one of Microsoft's challenges that there is a threshold limit of 5000 items. It has to improve the threshold limit where it can handle data beyond 5000 items.

I would like to see integration with on-premise business applications, complex business routes, and complex business workflows.

We started using Microsoft PowerApps in 2014.

Currently, there is a challenge in scaling up. We can't scale beyond large data.

We have approximately 10,000 users in our organization.

There is a challenge in getting support. The support staff is not trained properly in PowerApps.

The initial setup was not easy, but not exactly complex. There was a lot of research.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to make an informed decision before you implement it. There are a lot of challenges, and the product is going through a lot of changes.

It's promising, so I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft PowerApps Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.