Microsoft PowerApps Overview

Microsoft PowerApps is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Low-Code Development Platforms. It is most often compared to Oracle Application Express (APEX): Microsoft PowerApps vs Oracle Application Express (APEX)

What is Microsoft PowerApps?

PowerApps enables a broad range of app scenarios to be created that infuse digital transformation into manual and outdated processes. Use both canvas and model-driven apps to build PowerApps that solve business problems for task and role-specific scenarios like inspections, field sales enablement, prospect to cash, and integrated marketing views.

Microsoft PowerApps is also known as PowerApps.

Microsoft PowerApps Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft PowerApps Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Microsoft PowerApps Customers

TransAlta, Rackspace, Telstra

Microsoft PowerApps Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft PowerApps pricing:
  • "If you start to use any premium connectors that are not stored in a SharePoint list or on an Excel workbook, then it costs $4 per user per month. If you want unlimited, it's about $16 per month for unlimited apps, and unlimited connectors."
  • "There are two licensing costs, one is pay-as-you-go, or you can develop it for one year."
  • "The enterprise-level costs a great deal of money, and you have to purchase additional licenses to scale it."

Microsoft PowerApps Reviews

DavidGerard
Business Intelligence Consultant at FumAstra Management Consulting
Dec 11, 2019
Affordable, customizable, and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to create and arrange a number of requests, including requests for expenses, requests for leave, requests for documents, etc. Depending on the type of business, we can customize the request application.

• "There are a lot of different applications; you can connect PowerApps, or Flow, or Power BI to many different types of applications to interchange data."
  • "The solution is evolving very fast and every month new features are introduced. Sometimes it's difficult to catch up with all the evolution that's happening. I had to focus on Power BI for a while and left PowerApps at the side for a couple of months and when I came back, it had changed its interface and moved components around."

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model. I'm a consultant; I work mainly with other companies. Already with what exists, the solution is quite good and we can do quite a lot. I don't think too much can be improved. I'd advise others to make sure they have good parameters and documentation before they get started. It's a good idea to follow the tutorial at the beginning. There are a lot of things about the solution that are good to understand beforehand, including how the different components work. I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. For me, it has worked very well.
YousefHasan
Developer at Australian College of Kuwait
Nov 24, 2019
Data integrates easily on all Microsoft apps but the solution is limited

What is our primary use case?

I'm a developer and we use the product for in-house development and finding in-house solutions. We have a developer relationship with Microsoft. I'm currently working on a smart parking app for a college here in Kuwait. It would be a big time saver and enable drivers to know where there are available parking spots when it's a busy time and would maximize free space usage. It would make things easier for everyone.

• "It's a very workable solution because it's an automated way of making applications. You have a template, you have the application know-how,"
  • "The product could be improved by making it a production application and enabling the export of apps."

What other advice do I have?

Previously, we had a whole department using the product. When I lived in Australia, it was used for assembling websites and to upload photos, videos and the like. It worked well because it was for internally-based users. My suggestion to anyone searching for a product would be to invest in a solution if you know that it works. Don't go for anything high-risk. This product works as it's intended. It's missing a few key features to make it really stand out but I believe it has the potential to be the best app for access to the database. The product can be easily integrated - with Microsoft…
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft PowerApps. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,164 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1427211
Senior Product Manager Digital Transformation at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 27, 2020
Great UI and an easy initial setup, however, users are limited to 2,000 records

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a general business process improvement. We use it as more of a digital transformation to eliminate some archaic manual processes that the business has built up over time. We're working to make everything more streamlined.

• "There's a lot of online knowledge on the solution, to the point where new users can basically teach themselves how to use the solution."
  • "One of the major problems with it is what PowerApps calls the delegation warning. Regardless of what platform, data source, et cetera, that you're using, you can't retrieve more than 2000 records."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft. We are most likely using the most recent or updated version of the solution, however, I'm unsure of the exact version number. While Microsoft is an option, I'd recommend users check out OutSystems first and see if it makes sense for them to use that before looking into Microsoft. Overall, I'd rate the solution six out of ten.
Andy Chen
Information Technology Specialist at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees
Nov 9, 2020
Stable, easy to use, and simple to implement

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for in-house management. For example, for human resources.

• "The solution is very straightforward. Its context is obvious and everything is easy to understand."
  • "I have heard from developers that there is documentation missing in the reporting."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.
RamChenna
Enterprise Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Nov 22, 2020
No code, quick drag and drop, and a good user interface, but the data threshold limit needs to increase

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft has come at the right time. To come out with a RAD (Rapid Application Development) tool where you can develop your apps on the cloud much faster, and deploy them for multiple devices, whether it is mobile, cloud, laptops, or desktops. It is similar to Oracle APEX or Oracle developer tools where you just drag and drop into your application within minutes. The primary use case of this solution is case management reporting. If, for example, you have a set of engineers who have been assigned a particular case or project they will need to record all of their activities and their visits… more »

• "I would say that the most valuable features are the user interface, navigation, and business routes."
  • "It has to improve the threshold limit where it can handle data beyond 5000 items."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to make an informed decision before you implement it. There are a lot of challenges, and the product is going through a lot of changes. It's promising, so I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Guillermo Carles
Business Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Oct 14, 2020
Easy to use with good speed and very good design capabilities

• "Overall, the tool is very democratic. It's easy for anyone to use. You don't have to be a professional or well-versed in technology."
  • "It's sometimes hard to import groups of options. At this point, I need to enter those manually and it slows the process down."

What other advice do I have?

I started working with the common data model and the entities and working with my data warehouse. Now I'm working on my data warehouse with common data series. I use Power Apps for my standard entities' values. I need to modify it now with the new processes that are in place. And in the beginning, I use Power Apps for the management of the entities for Power VA. Since I've started using Power Apps, as I can see it's powerful and makes it easy for many, many, many kinds of work processes. I'm still trying the solution out, and I'm still learning a lot about it. I'm by no means an expert yet…
Oscar Osorio
Senior Programmer Analyst at Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada
Dec 30, 2020
Great cloud aspects and good integration potential but does work differently on different types of devices

What is our primary use case?

We're not in production yet. We're still very much in the early stages of this solution.

• "The cloud aspect has been great. We don't have to do a lot of research in order to begin integrations. It's so easy to integrate with other solutions."
  • "We're not in production yet, so we're still working through some issues."

What other advice do I have?

We have a very good and very close relationship with Microsoft. I started working more on PowerApps as we were making a comparison with Salesforce. We decided on PowerApps mostly due to the fact that Salesforce would not work. We have to maintain our current environment, so at some point, it's not that we are 100% in these new tools. Right now we have more than 60% of our time in these new tools and try to not develop any coding. We do make some code in JavaScript, however, it isn't too much. It's a good solution. There is some coding needed for customization aspects, however, it's a pretty…
reviewer1424412
Vice President, Information System & Technology at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 10, 2020
Easy to set up and low-code allows for fast development, but the navigation needs to be simplified

• "The most valuable features are low-code and fast development."
  • "PowerApps is still a bit new compared to a slightly more mature product such as OutSystems."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Microsoft Power Apps to anyone who is interested in using it. As of recent Microsoft has been evolving the Power Platform rather aggressively. For example, I'm using Power BI, and every month they have a rollout of new features, and with Power Apps, when you compare to one year ago has evolved quite a bit, and so has Power Automate. Microsoft is on a journey of evolving. It's a good tool now, but it will be a great tool soon. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
See 13 more Microsoft PowerApps Reviews