MicroStrategy Overview

MicroStrategy is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Business Intelligence Tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft BI: MicroStrategy vs Microsoft BI

What is MicroStrategy?

Company: Founded in 1989, MicroStrategy (Nasdaq: MSTR) is a leading worldwide provider of enterprise software platforms. With direct operations in 26 countries worldwide and approximately 2,000 employees, our mission is to provide enterprise analytics, mobility, and security platforms that are flexible, powerful, scalable and user-friendly. To learn more, visit MicroStrategy online, and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Product portfoilio:

MicroStrategy 10 Secure Enterprise™ empowers leading organizations to analyze vast amounts of data and distribute actionable business insight throughout an enterprise through two distinct offerings: MicroStrategy Analytics™ and MicroStrategy Desktop™. MicroStrategy Analytics delivers reports and dashboards, and enables users to conduct ad hoc analysis and share insights anywhere, anytime, via mobile devices or the Web. It also combines the agility and productivity of self-service visual data discovery with the security, scalability, and governance features of enterprise-grade business intelligence. MicroStrategy Desktop is a standalone, on-premise visual data discovery tool designed to enable business users to analyze and understand their data. MicroStrategy Mobile™ enables organizations to rapidly build custom business applications that deliver analytics combined with transactions, multimedia, and custom workflows to mobile devices. MicroStrategy Secure Cloud™ combines all of the enterprise analytics, mobile, and security features in MicroStrategy 10 Secure Enterprise with powerful and scalable data integration, validation, and warehousing services — all delivered in an environment where organizations can deploy transformational analytics applications in minutes.

Usher, MicroStrategy’s breakthrough security solution, is a powerful mobile security platform designed to dematerialize traditional forms of identity verification (such as passwords, tokens, and physical badges) and replace them with a single mobile identity badge that is cryptographically linked to its owner’s smartphone and dynamically linked to an enterprise’s existing identity repositories. Usher works on standard Android and iOS smartphones, and also boasts an Apple Watch™ integration.

MicroStrategy Buyer's Guide

Download the MicroStrategy Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2020

MicroStrategy Customers

Allstate Insurance, Barneys New York, Boston Children's Hospital, Buenos Aires Department of the Treasury, Campbell Soup Company, DHL, eBay, eHarmony, Facebook, Four Seasons Hotels Inc., Godiva, Hard Rock International, LinkedIn, Netflix, Pfizer, SECO (Swiss Government Unemployment Agency), Starbucks, Texas A&M University, Thomson Reuters Markets, US House of Representatives, and the US Postal Service.

MicroStrategy Video

MicroStrategy Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Ganesh Dalal
Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 13, 2018
It is a reliable solution for our needs.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see enhanced features in the dashboards. This would enhance the solution in the future, and is currently missing.

It is reliable.

We have not contacted the tech support team.

I was not involved with the initial setup.

When selecting a vendor, we consider all of the necessary requirements, and how it can incorporate the current data.

I was not involved in choosing this solution.
SenApp3210
Senior Application Analyst at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 15, 2018
The implementation was fairly straightforward. The most valuable features are ad hoc reporting and the ability to create dashboards.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this product are analytics and visualization.

• "The implementation was fairly straightforward."
  • "The most valuable features are ad hoc reporting and the ability to create dashboards."
  • "The product could be improved by adding additional visualization."
  • "Another feature to consider in the future would be adding some additional offline capabilities without using desktops."
Learn what your peers think about MicroStrategy. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2020.
455,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director3013
Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Aug 1, 2018
The Repository enables us to develop something once and use it anywhere

What is our primary use case?

I'm a system implementer, so I implement the system for customers. I implement whatever the customer needs at their site. It's generally all the BI information that they have in the data warehouse. Its performance is very good.

• "The whole repository side of things is beneficial because you develop it once, and you can use it anywhere, in the Enterprise grade."
  • "If you compare it with Power BI with the DAX language, it would be great to put that into MicroStrategy."

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for enterprise BI, go for MicroStrategy. I would give the tool an eight out of 10. The local office would get a two out of 10. But the tool itself is just a good enterprise-grade tool.
Brian Fleenor
Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Jun 25, 2018
Offers mobile, In-Memory Analytics, and data connectors to everything you can imagine

What is our primary use case?

Primary is the enterprise reporting. That's our baseline. Everything else is "nice-to-haves." It performs very well.

• "It scales well. It used to have only a max of four I-servers, but I think recently, somewhere in version 10, they doubled that, so you can have eight I-servers now."
  • "I don't think that they will, but I'd like to see parallel processing, scalable parallel processing."

What other advice do I have?

I would prefer having analytic capabilities from a single platform, rather than from many-point solutions, but in reality, I don't think that's very possible. I can give you an example. MicroStrategy, was very early to do In-Memory Analytics. I think everybody else is catching up to that. It doesn't really set them apart anymore today, but it did at one time. But beyond that, with MicroStrategy you're still limited to a single server, and to really crunch through a lot of data you need to parallel, across servers. MicroStrategy doesn't currently offer that so you have to go to something like…
ProjectMan37583
Project Manager at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 5, 2018
We can create a single report/dashboard from multiple data caches (Cubes)

What is our primary use case?

Predictive analysis with R, reporting and dashbaords.

• "Cube performance and easy integration with third-party tools/products, are valuable features."
  • "Data writeback, and on-the-fly predictive analysis results from R and Python could be improved."
  • "With Cube partition (v10.1 and above) scalability has not been an issue, but the Cube publish time, and temporary space consumption while the Cube is being published, has almost doubled during implementation of Cube partition."
Anton Cui
Solution Executive DAG at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Mar 5, 2018
Seamless integration between browser-based BI and Mobile BI

What is our primary use case?

* BI reporting * Dashboard * Mobile

• "​Mobile brings reports/dashboards closer to the business user."
  • "Provides seamless integration between browser-based BI and Mobile BI."
  • "​The product is designed for enterprise. A lightweight version would be easier for a smaller workgroup.​"

What other advice do I have?

MicroStrategy needs a certain level of back-end design skill. Choose the right back-end system.
it_user812775
Department Manager with 10,001+ employees
User
Feb 25, 2018
Speed for high level aggregation by using Intelligent Cubes

What is our primary use case?

Dashboarding first and foremost for financial power users. Web authoring and report bursting for enterprise-wide business user community.

• "Speed for high level aggregation by using Intelligent Cubes."
  • "Semi-automatic support of implementing date dimensions, including delta to prior year implementation."
  • "Consolidate the functional offering to be more concise in the front-end for web reports, dashboards, and self-service."
  • "Currently, the client view looks completely different depending on what you are building."
it_user807384
Platform Data Visualization Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Feb 4, 2018

What is our primary use case?

As it stands now, the primary use is just for utilization, the mobile device, and the reports which are built for it. There might be plans in the future for spreading the entire platform to other areas and divisions as well.

• "The platform can be easily monitored. You have quite a good overview of tasks which are being run."
  • "The mobile for MicroStrategy is the best of all the BI platforms. As a separate product for the mobile device, MicroStrategy is the entire BI platform. It is an enterprise solution, a separate unit, etc."
  • "I did not see any additional value of providing one button for installation on the whole platform if it was going to be installed for different servers. You would have to make customization every time. There was no additional value in an installer."
  • "We would really like to see MicroStrategy have some support teams based more in Europe, because for now it seems that there is one person for the whole CE region. That is not exactly what we would like to see. We do know that MicroStrategy supports most places, either in the US or India, but those are different time zones, people, and cultures."

What other advice do I have?

We are not using MicroStrategy's WriteBack capabilities, but it is something to be considered in the future, especially considering the fact that it is a unique feature that could be utilized.
it_user807390
Mobile Consultant at a tech vendor
Feb 4, 2018
Writeback enables our users to see instantly refreshed data on their mobile dashboards

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case would be for mobile apps, exposing mobile data to people who need data at the right time and the right location, and MicroStrategy does that. It does so extremely well. They have one of the best mobile BI apps available. They've the got the whole power of the MicroStrategy ecosystem, and they just expose it through the app. It's a stand-alone mobile development app that you don't even have to do business intelligence on. You can just use it to build apps. It's pretty cool.

• "It's a stand-alone mobile development app that you don't even have to do business intelligence on. You can just use it to build apps."
  • "Building apps is easy. You just drag in your data, and then you drag in all the elements that you want on your app. It's drag and drop design, and then you can customize your visuals. They make it all easy with plug and play widgets."
  • "We are embedding multimedia content in our apps... You can embed streaming video from websites, or you can host the video files on your internal media servers. The video is clear, absolutely."
  • "On our mobile solution you can deploy up to 100,000 users. In our case, we're up to about 10,000 active users, and MicroStrategy's server technology behind the scenes, the Intelligence Server and the Mobile Servers, are very robust and they can handle the workload."
  • "The interface you can design in MicroStrategy is great, but I feel it needs to be refreshed, add a bit more functionality. I would like to see more capabilities on the mobile side, to bring it on par with apps that you see in the App Store."
  • "MicroStrategy is dragging behind other tools on the self-service visualizations, like Tableau. I would rate Tableau as a 10. For the same visualizations, I would say MicroStrategy is an eight, maybe nine. They're still behind on the self-service visualizations,"

What other advice do I have?

We are embedding multimedia content in our apps. Last week, I did a for-fun dashboard. It was all about Star Wars and Return of the Last Jedi. I had some active video in there that I started streaming from Vimeo. You can do that, you can embed streaming video from websites, or you can host the video files on your internal media servers. The video is clear, absolutely. We are also distributing personalized alerts using native mobile push ads, for IOS and Android. It's pretty easy on MicroStrategy. There is a bit of configuration involved, so you definitely need to have a technical administrator…
it_user807381
Senior Management- Project at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Feb 4, 2018

What is our primary use case?

We help customers utilize MicroStrategy in multiple ways: * We have enterprise analytics being used. * We use MicroStrategy as an integrated solution with some of their other CRM type applications. * There are people who are using MicroStrategy as transaction services. I have never been successful with it. There are a broad range of applications that we see.

• "The single stack solution will always be more profitable, scalable, and elastic for organizational needs."
  • "There are people who are using MicroStrategy as transaction services."
  • "We use MicroStrategy as an integrated solution with some of their other CRM type applications."
  • "It has the potential to become a great evangelist for AI and other embedded analytics."
  • "We have seen some stability issues with MicroStrategy on cloud. We have a few unhappy customers."
  • "One of the things that I want to see MicroStrategy do is become more cloud native. Right now, the deployment on cloud is very easy to ruin, it is very much like spinning up separate VMs."
  • "MicroStrategy is not cloud native today and some of their APIs are a little limiting.​"

What other advice do I have?

Definitely research the key business use cases. Make sure you have your key technical person trained on MicroStrategy and on how to implement the solution. One of the important things for people to keep in mind is the Henry Ford slogan, "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." However, the horse might not be the right solution in this case. Just keep that in mind. I think MicroStrategy has everything else I need. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Customer support is a very key area for us. When we help someone through the journey, we want to…
it_user807393
Senior Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 4, 2018
Provides us with analysis on a daily basis and helps us define our forecast

What is our primary use case?

We use MicroStrategy for our supply chain and merchandising, because we are retail. Performance has been pretty good so far.

What other advice do I have?

We prefer having the analytics capability in a single platform, versus in a many-points solution, because our user base is pretty small. I don't know if we even offer multiple platforms. I'm not sure if we have tried that or not. We have already invested in MicroStrategy's mobile platform and it's pretty good. When looking at vendors to work with, we look not so much at name brand but at technical support and application features. I would give it an eight out of 10. There's a lot of room for improvement, with all the other BI tools in the market. Go for it. If you are a retail company, I would…
it_user807396
BI Team Lead at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 4, 2018
An integral part of our financial decision-making, predictive analytics is key

What is our primary use case?

Data analytics, as a reporting tool.

• "With all the APIs it's very scalable."
  • "I think they're still lacking on customer service. I think historically, MicroStrategy's customer service was a lot better than it is today."

What other advice do I have?

We have not invested in the mobile platform, but we do plan on it, towards the end of the year. When selecting a vendor, I appreciate customer service. That's the best thing. No matter how difficult the tool is, as long as you have good customer service, it'll take care of itself. I would rate it an eight out of 10, because I think they're still lacking on customer service. I think historically, MicroStrategy's customer service was a lot better than it is today. I would definitely recommend MicroStrategy over anything I've worked with before. And I worked with Tableau too. If you want some…
it_user807378
BI at a comms service provider with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Feb 4, 2018
A good tool to help our customers visually see loads of data

What is our primary use case?

We sell it as an underlier to our own analytics tool. It works pretty well.

• "The technical support of MicroStrategy can be helpful through implementation."
  • "It is a good tool to help our customers visually see loads of data."
  • "Training would be an area that they could improve upon."
  • "If you do not learn the ins or outs, it can be a difficult tool to use. You could do a PoC and get enough out of it to be able to use it. However, when it comes to administering it, you definitely need the training.​"

What other advice do I have?

Spend a lot of time with the training. If you do not learn the ins or outs, it can be a difficult tool to use. You could do a PoC and get enough out of it to be able to use it. However, when it comes to administering it, you definitely need the training. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Usability * Stability * Good support.
it_user807375
Technical Project Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 1, 2018
It has had a direct impact on bottomline improvements, but users say the interface is a pain

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to deliver all data insights to our company. We do not serve our platform engineering computing teams, but we are working on that. We're actually trying to do that. We serve the entire business: the finance, merchandising, and marketing team. All those teams are meant to use our tool, so we produce a lot of reports for them. We connect it directly to our data warehouse, that is their direct connection to all the data they need to run their business. It is performing great. We have built some really cool tools. We would like our users to use it more. For some… more »

• "Our primary use case is to deliver all data insights to our company."
  • "I have shown our users how to stop using Excel. They would create these vast Excel files, and I showed them how to do the same thing with MicroStrategy, which saves a significant amount of time for them everyday."
  • "It has had a direct impact on bottomline improvements."
  • "Our users tend to say the interface is a pain."
  • "Our data warehouse is sort of static; negative load and that is it. It is not as real-time as we would like. We are working on building that out first to create more real-time, at which point we will work on some potential integrations with other applications, but I don't think we are there yet."

What other advice do I have?

Explore the Self-Service tool functions to rely on cubes. I will also recommend to teach your users to become comfortable with the tool. Since we started doing this in 2017, rather than having our data team build everything, such as all the reports, we have started pushing it more towards the users. The response has been phenomenal. Create Self-Service tools and "force" your users to use them. We do not use it to embed analytics into the applications. Most of the people use the web access. We are working on actually building out more enhancements to our whole data warehouse. Right now, our…
it_user807399
Analyst 2 with 5,001-10,000 employees
Feb 1, 2018
Enterprise reporting and self-service; our users quickly get information and insights

What is our primary use case?

We are Reynolds American. We work in product supplies scenarios. In our environment, we work with any kind of volume data. We use MicroStrategy to deliver reporting to our trade reps who go into outlets, so account-level reporting. That's going to be more of our embedded reporting. That is an application that we created in Salesforce that links into MicroStrategy and links back and forth between the in-house application we've created. But then, a large majority of our reporting is going to be that enterprise application where we have a fixed reporting environment on a monthly basis. We deliver… more »

• "It offers us a lot of out-of-the-box tools, which give us the ability to automate a lot of our administrative tasks. Some things become menial: user creation, restarting a server at 10 o'clock on a Friday - simple things that they really give you the tools to be able to do. That's one thing I really like about the MicroStrategy platform from an administrative perspective."
  • "We've made a few enhancements to our Enterprise Manager system to allow self-reporting to grow. We see that as a very useful system. It's been incredibly beneficial in diagnosing production performance issues, diagnosing what reports are running slowly, where the SQL could be optimized, opportunities or metrics where we see long-time running performance. Enterprise Manager has been absolutely vital in giving us some of the insights about our system."
  • "I think we have a huge enterprise-wide push to Visual Insight. Our environment has transformed over the last year. We were a strong "grid to PDF," "document to PDF," that's all we did. And then they came in with these Visual Insights and everyone was like, "Wow, that's kind of cool." We created a static reporting portal behind it and now, it's just taken our reports to another level. The level of insight that you get in a 30-second glimpse, it just revolutionized it for us. It gives the user a larger subset of the data so that they can actually maneuver around, rather than being specifically pointed at whatever your document is designed for."
  • "I like that they're trying to incorporate Developer into Workstation and Desktop into Workstation, so you get the all-in-one encompassing, highly technical Developer Workstation where you can do the VI, you can do the Dossier."
  • "We're starting to open it up to more and more people to give them the ability and start looking at these things themselves, but it's not the most intuitive system, Enterprise Manager that is, so it's tough. We're trying to bridge the gap between usability and who we let in the system, because you're not going to come in and just pick it up."
  • "The problem is the way that their metrics are designed. It can be difficult to understand what you're actually looking at. Then when you're comparing a document against the VI, you can't actually do that properly. So there are components, and there is a huge learning curve in the Enterprise Manager space. I think it would benefit them greatly if they were to exercise a significant amount of research and development in that space."
  • "They need to supply the support system that's just not there right now. They don't have Enterprise Manager classes. You need in-depth classes to understand what those metrics are doing, to understand the table associations from one to the other. You can't just go and pick it up and understand that DT_DAY connects to all of these tables, without going into Architect, looking at the source tables. I, as a analyst, a slightly technical user, I don't have the expertise to do that. Business users definitely don't have the expertise to do that."
  • "It needs row-level security, column-level security, on attributes. I want to be able to handle full-scale security model from the semantic layer, flat out."

What other advice do I have?

Being in the position that I'm in, I see the benefit of having the disparate locations. I love web. Web is great for the business user. I love Developer. Developer is great for me. I do not want my business users touching Developer. I don't even want them to know it exists. Honestly, MicroStrategy came and did a demo for our clients, and part of the reason they didn't get the contract is because they showed Developer. The business users got so confused that it just was not good. But for someone like me, highly technical, there's just so much more functionality. I like that they're trying to…
it_user807372
Developer at a renewables & environment company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 1, 2018
Having the intelligence server sit in the middle is huge. It is going to save us a lot of time.

What is our primary use case?

We have installed MicroStrategy and implemented a couple sample reports just to prove we can. However, we do not have all our current reports from Tableau replicated in a MicroStrategy environment, and we are headed that direction.

• "Having the intelligence server sit in the middle is huge for us. It is going to save us a lot of time, make our work a lot simpler, make it easier for deployment, and getting the reports in the hands of our users sooner."
  • "It was easy to install and implement a report with it."

What other advice do I have?

We want to do what makes sense for our business. We are not married to one way of doing it. We will listen to our business people and we will do whatever makes sense depending on the situation. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: We want a solution that we can implement in a short amount of time. We don't want to go back and forth in a month; we want it to work right now. Also, we want to be able to have a vendor who we can reach, and they respond when we submit a ticket. They need to respond in a short amount of time. Even though, they are busy answering requests from other…
    it_user807402
    BI Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Feb 1, 2018
    Reporting, dashboards, and new visualization functions help us realize opportunities

What is our primary use case?

We have insurance customers, health customers, in our organization. The performance is good.

• "The reporting, the dashboards, and the new visualization functions. It is very easy for users to understand their data and dashboards."
    • "We haven't invested in the mobile platform. We want to invest, but the problem is the security. We are in the health domain, so we have PHI data."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of having the analytic capabilities in a single platform, like MicroStrategy, versus a many-points solution, we are planning to use it like that. We had different reporting solutions, but we are moving everything to a single MicroStrategy BI platform. We haven't invested in the mobile platform. We want to invest, but the problem is the security. We are in the health domain, so we have PHI data. We have some challenges, so most probably this later year or at the start of 2019 we may be able to get the mobile solution. When choosing a vendor, the major thing I look for is the technical…
    it_user807369
    Strategic Services Executive at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Feb 1, 2018

What is our primary use case?

We are a partner with MicroStrategy. We have over 300 casino installs of our casino operating system. Right now, we have them in about 10% of the properties which are with us. We pretty much do a lot of custom reporting for them and/or train them how to do customer reporting and visualizations. It is performing well.

• "We pretty much use the knowledge base.​ We feel that Microstrategy's community is a good forum to use."
    • "Scalability is fantastic. It can go from a small operation up to a gigantic operation. ​"

What other advice do I have?

Do it now. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: They have a knowledge base and offer training and/or have events where you can network with people from the company who do stuff. With MicroStrategy, actually meeting the people that you're dealing with face-to-face.
      it_user807405
      Analytics Technical Officer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Feb 1, 2018
      Our underwriters love the transactional side to assess risk, but the performance needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

There are two use cases. One is on the transactional side. As we're doing insurance transactions, we're using the transactional side to assess risk on each transaction. On the portfolio side, we're looking at the whole portfolio of insurance risk. Underwriters love the transactional side. The performance: We've thrown a lot of data at it, and now we're trying to improve the performance. But the underwriters love the content that's being delivered. On the portfolio side, we're just starting the launch, but underwriters seem to be responding well to it.

• "The ability to create aesthetically pleasing information by providing dashboards."
      • "Needs ​tighter mapping integration."
      • "I would like to see more Writeback capabilities that would allow our IT department not to be worried about the wild, Wild West of Writeback."
      • "We did have issues with stability, and that was because we were co-located with another business unit, and we outgrew them on the unit. So we had to get to a separate physical instance."

What other advice do I have?

We favor a single platform for this type of solution, versus a many-points solution like Cognos. Single point is always easier. What I appreciate most in a vendor is when they bend over backwards. MicroStrategy does that, when I approach them. I give it a seven out of 10, and the reason is, underwriters love the content. The performance isn't where I need it to be. When I get to the less than five seconds per click, it will be a 10. In terms of advice, you need to think abstractly enough so that it becomes a metadata layer that's usable for all of the things you want.
      it_user807408
      Product Manager at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Feb 1, 2018
      We've rolled out self-service to business teams to help with decision-making

What is our primary use case?

We have about 50-plus applications that we're currently running on MicroStrategy, and most of these are around tracking demand and supply, profitability, and growth for the organization. We've also opened it up as an open BI platform, so that all our business analysts can build their own dashboards and Dossiers and the like.

• "We've made it an open BI platform, so that all our business analysts can build their own dashboards and Dossiers."
      • "I think what we're currently excited about is the ability to integrate R. Most of our data scientists use R for their modeling. I heard at one of the sessions, here at MicroStrategy World 2018, that you can put your R scripts directly into MicroStrategy, so any modeling effort that you've done in the past can be transferred into MicroStrategy."
      • "If there are some advanced visualization features - maybe I'm not aware of them - but if there were a Vitara which could work on top of MicroStrategy, it would make sense for MicroStrategy to have that within their own library. So they should add more visualizations to the library."

What other advice do I have?

We prefer having the analytic capabilities in one platform, like MicroStrategy, as opposed to having them in many points. As it is, we deal with a lot of big data systems, tons of other vendors. It doesn't make sense to have to deal with multiple vendors and deal with different support issues. It's always better to have a single point of contact for our kind of use case. Regarding investing in the mobile platform, out of the 800,000 odd users that we have on MicroStrategy, about 25 are already mobile. We've limited it to our CxO audience so far, but we will evaluate whether there is a use case…
      it_user807411
      BI Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Feb 1, 2018
      The landing pages make life easy for exhibiting, but connectivity can be problematic

What is our primary use case?

The use case for this is for our sales people who work in the field. In terms of performance it's really good, they're giving good feedback.

• "It has landing pages, and that makes life easy for exhibiting things."
      • "The architecture is very solid."
      • "If they can make it more stable, in terms of the connectivity, that would help."

What other advice do I have?

We are not yet using multi-media content in our ads, but we will. And we do have a capability for our mobile apps to work in offline mode. When looking for a vendor the most important thing to us is the use case, the capabilities of the product. I give it a six out of 10 because of the connectivity and a few other things. The main thing is the connectivity, and then there is the caching, so if they can work on that it would help. Still, I would tell a colleague to definitely go for MicroStrategy.
      SeniorMa2b70
      Senior Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
      Feb 1, 2018
      Used by all the store managers to track sales, stock, and inventory

What is our primary use case?

We use MicroStrategy to generate enterprise-wide reports. It is used by all the store managers to track sales, stock, inventory, etc.

• "​Scalability is the best thing. You can really scale."
      • "It is one tool which you can find everything. ​"
      • "The most valuable features are drill down, dashboards, documents, bringing everything under one roof, and visualizations."
      • "We are using mobile analytics, and it is amazing."
      • "Needs more visualizations out-of-the-box."

What other advice do I have?

MicroStrategy was a little late with Visual Insights, but it is one tool which you can find everything. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Technology * Flexibility * More partnerships.
      Janis Dreimanis
      Operational Risk Manager
      Jan 31, 2018
      Its flexibility and performance help make our organization more efficient, less expensive

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to use the business intelligence tool for court data, to make the court and judges work more efficiently, faster, and less expensive. It's performing well, we are expecting a major breakthrough this year regarding the analytics bot.

• "I would try to make it a little more basic, user-friendly. In terms of the UX, it's a bit sluggish there."

What other advice do I have?

Regarding rolling out self-service to business teams with MicroStrategy, we have been thinking about it, but I doubt that we will. As for having the analytic capability in a single platform like MicroStrategy, versus many-point solutions, we naturally prefer one platform. This is because of a single, standard mode. We don't have to scatter and search through eleven different platforms when there's only one there. We are thinking about investing in the mobile platform of MicroStrategy but I can't say positive, we will, or negative, we won't. I don't know at this point. For me, the most…
        it_user807420
        BI Analyst Manager at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
        Jan 30, 2018
        We leverage it, not only for reporting but for analytics and geospatial reporting

What is our primary use case?

We use it mostly for business intelligence reporting, especially in personal lines of insurance, because of its pattern processing and other good functionalities, its key capabilities. It's a customer-friendly tool, especially with the Dossiers. And in the past we have had Visualization Galleries. So we leverage it, not only for reporting but for analytics and also for geospatial reporting. In terms of its performance, when compared with other products that we have, Cognos, QlikView, Tableau, I would rate MIcroStrategy number one in the above terms.

• "We leverage it, not only for reporting but for analytics and also for geospatial reporting."
        • "In the past, when we had so many legacy systems, with Cognos and others, it was took multiple steps to get what we wanted. Now, it's a seamless integration. We can connect directly, in the form of In-Memory Cubes or live-publish cubes, to the data warehouse, and blend in the data with big data. Not only relational databases, but we can also integrate other third-party files, and create a single-source software."
        • "It keeps BI in the hands of everyone, rather than a developer or an analyst."
        • "Now we can collaborate, in real time. In the past we had to wait for our business partners say if a visualization looked good or sufficed for their requirements. There was no real-time decision making. Now, with Dossier, it will accelerate the velocity of decision making."

What other advice do I have?

Regarding MicroStrategy Mobile, we have some PoCs which will kickstart in few weeks. Important criteria when selecting a vendor include * technical support * reliability * transparency. I would give the solution a seven out of 10 for now. I need to play with Dossier and other key capabilities, because initially I did a PoC in 2016-17. It went well when compared to the other products, but it was not sufficient for our requirements. But I went to a few sessions here at MicroStrategy World 2018, yesterday and today and it looks pretty cool. It seems they have improved a lot in the last two years…
          it_user807423
          Director Analytics And Data Management at a engineering company with 10,001+ employees
          Jan 30, 2018
          Enables us to embed actions, comments, and use Transaction Services to embed the tool into a business process

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to improve our profitability across our field organization. It's performing fantastically. We have over 140 branch locations, over 1000 users, and it's scaling great. Performance is great. The feedback from our field users is fantastic in terms of form and function, so it's meeting all of our expectations. Our goal is to roll out self-service, because with the advent of our tool, being able to drive actionable intelligence is just the next natural thing for us; to give the users ability to perform analytics on their own.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to actually embed actions, comments, being able to leverage Transaction Services to embed the tool into a business process."
          • "Transaction Services, that was really the part of the tool that made it very compelling for us, because it gave the opportunity to drive action."
          • "I would like to see a feature where migrations are easier. When you migrate from certain environments, it could probably be a little cleaner. Sometimes it seems to be somewhat clunky when you migrate from one environment, say a development to a test or production environment."

What other advice do I have?

I prefer having analytics capabilities in many points, rather just in a single platform like MicroStrategy. I would hate to say that we have just this one "basket." I think there are many different use cases, and I think you have to address the many different use cases that the business brings to you. I think MicroStrategy is very complementary to what we need from an enterprise standpoint, but I believe that you also want to be armed with other tools that may fit other use cases. We don't plan on investing in the MicroStrategy Mobile at this time. I think when a tangible use case becomes…
          it_user807426
          Senior Functional Front End at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
          Jan 30, 2018
          Strong admin, sharing, collaboration features; and we can blend data at the document level

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is that we want to get away from printed reports. So, not having to print PDFs and send them out; and the whole administration that goes with that. Rather, to make it all digital and interactive. It is performing well, but sometimes we have complex requirements and the performance decreases, and then we have to find another way to make it perform again. That is what you encounter when use the project, but that's inevitable because if we would have used another product, we would've had the same thing.

• "With the new version that's coming out, I think they have simplified a lot of things. Also, when it comes to the administration part, and sharing, and the collaboration features, they are really great. You can send out comments with a filter to someone in your organization, and if the person clicks on it, he actually ​sees what you are seeing. So that's really great."
          • "You can build once and deploy to multiple operating systems. Also, it resizes in the way you want it to​."
          • "It's an open platform. That's also important. You can create your own data connectors. There's everything you can do with APIs. It's not closed like, perhaps, an SAP system might be."
          • "There's extensive logging capabilities, if something is wrong then we are able to find out why."
          • "It is performing well, but sometimes we have complex requirements and the performance decreases, and then we have to find another way to make it perform again. That is what you encounter when use the project, but that's inevitable because if we would have used another product, we would've had the same thing."
          • "You can now do data blending at the document level and data blending allows you to show results from different data sets in one grid, so to speak. I want to be able to create a data set that can receive data from multiple cubes, have it in one data set, and then bring it to the document, because then I can reuse it for other documents. Now, I have to do it in a document and then it's less reusable, because if I want to share that functionality, I have to copy the document, strip a lot of things, and then work on that basic element that I've built in that document."

What other advice do I have?

We are not yet distributing personalized alerts using native mobile push for iOS or Android. We want to do that for sure, but it's currently a "nice to have" and it takes some additional implementations on the server. You have to set up some certificates and then make the communication secure. That's some work that we still have to do. As for choosing a vendor, we had our requirements. They were: * the app would be able to perform in offline mode as well because our audience, they're traveling a lot and then what if there's no Wifi? They can't get to their data; that was a strong requirement *…
          it_user807363
          Data Engineering Leader at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
          Jan 29, 2018
          The data governance leads people to trust the data they have

What is our primary use case?

We mostly do reporting for the business units. It is performing very well.

• "The data governance leads people to trust the data that they have, and they know where to get it."
          • "It needs better visualizations."

What other advice do I have?

Consider the maturity of MicroStrategy's data model. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Going forward, it will be integration with other platforms, like Salesforce and Hadoop.
          it_user807360
          BI Developer
          Jan 29, 2018

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, as a developer, I am administering user privileges and creating reports for analysts and clients. The product is performing great.

• "Stability is great, especially with package deployments. It is very consistent and stable."
          • "The option to use various administrative tools, like Integrity Manager, is a valuable feature."
          • "Something I would be interested in is more visualizations, because right now we use SDK to create some. If there were more out-of-the-box options, we would be happy with that."

What other advice do I have?

We will not be investing in mobile analytics. We work in healthcare, and the data is sensitive. We do not want people on the move with healthcare data. Do not give clients access to Self-Service or the entirety of everything, such as the semantic layering and creating reportings. It is a headache if you do it. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: The ability to have multiple roles within the organization use it and being able to restrict it. For instance, there is consumer level access that business users can use, but then IT can use its tools and keep it separate but all within…
          it_user807357
          Director Of Healthcare Economics at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Jan 29, 2018
          We have put in key metrics and performance indicators, thus it is customizable

What is our primary use case?

The primary thing that we are planning on using it for in the near future is analyzing healthcare trends and providing more visibility into what is going on within our healthcare spend.

• "It is definitely customizable. We have been able to put in key metrics and performance indicators, thus it is customizable."
          • "Getting more data to people more quickly. Providing more flexibility for how they use the data."
          • "I really like the visualizations. I like how you can put large data sets in there, then the user can quickly go through the data and drill down at various levels to understand things."
          • "When we come to them with a problem, they might know more of a generalized solution, but not one targeted to our industry."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have the right people and the right training going into the development aspect of it. Really understand the tool, its capabilities, and features before you start doing large scale development. I like the capabilities MicroStrategy offers. I do not know if it would be the only solution, but it has a lot of capabilities that we are still learning to understand better. We are probably looking at investing in mobile analytics at some point in the future. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Attention to the customer's needs and having support here when we need it.
          it_user807354
          Senior BI Developer at a individual & family service with 501-1,000 employees
          Jan 29, 2018
          It takes a very short amount of time to build a report. Tech support is not consistent with its responsiveness.

What is our primary use case?

We obtain all the data from different data sources and put them together. I report to different subject areas like finance, operations, product, etc. The product is performing well.

• "Reports are very easy to create. It takes a very short amount of time to build a report, which is very useful."
          • "The most valuable features are the Visual Insights and the visualizations."
          • "Sometimes you can do something in reports, but you cannot do the same thing in documents."

What other advice do I have?

If you want an enterprise solution, definitely go with MicroStrategy. If you want something for a small business area, like your HR needs some reporting or your finance needs some reporting, go with a different tool. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Just price. First thing is price. For larger companies, maybe price is not a big issue, but for a company of our size, price is important. Being able to address all the issues or all the capabilities that we require, it is very important. The support, the training, and all these things that come with the product, that is also…
          SalesPer1336
          Sales Performance Manager at a government with 10,001+ employees
          Jan 29, 2018
          Can build customization in reports for different groups​, but needs to improve the analytic speed

What is our primary use case?

We use it in sales and product analytics. We are using it for reporting at a national level, so we use it for a lot of different reporting for a lot of different groups. It actually works really well.

• "I have never had any problems with the stability."
          • "The most valuable feature is the ability to build reports, then customize for different groups instead of having to build multiple reports. Therefore, the ability to build customization in the reports for different groups."
          • "It drives us away from Excel. For what it is for, it is good. You can't run a business on Excel."
          • "The analytic speed would probably be what I would look for in terms of improvement because we have super huge data, and if I do not build views on top of data, then reports render really slowly.​"
          • "I prefer the capabilities of a single platform, but it does not always work. We are a huge company. Some areas do not use MicroStrategy, so you have to blend whatever systems they are using together to get the data points that you are looking for."

What other advice do I have?

We are happy, so far. It has worked well for us. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Ease of use * Customer acceptance (my customers are internal), if I build it and they won't use it, then it is useless.
          it_user807348
          Software Development Management
          Jan 28, 2018
          It has a robust, analytical platform that we use for self-service analytics

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to use for the self-service analytics and data sense, mostly in terms of the analytical platform.

• "​Technical support is knowledgeable. The right person gets back to us whenever we email them."
          • "It definitely impacts people, who are excited to use it."
          • "Sometimes, it has become too complex to upgrade and adjust to the ecosystem.​"
          • "Needs more visual essence and connectors for the ecosystems, which would be easy to use."
          • "Scalability is something which will need to be improved when it goes to a bigger audience."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: We look for their capabilities, what they have developed, and what they are up to in terms of innovation and creativity. Mostly, we consider that if you are creative, you can do anything.
          it_user807345
          BI Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Jan 28, 2018
          Users are able to drag and drop data, then create their own reports

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we are using MicroStrategy to provide Self-Service to clients. We have different departments in our company, like finance, accounting, and so on. We provided different projects for them and they are loving the product. We have approximately 200 users, and they have different roles from user to analyst to power users.

• "Having the analytics capabilities on a single platform."
          • "The usability for users to be able to drag and drop, then create their own reports."
          • "​I have had a lot of projects where we had a lot of users, like thousands of users, and the data was in one report which could bring in six million records. MicroStrategy is doing a good job on scalability."
          • "​There is room for improvement on the graphs."
          • "They need to improve the web."
          • "I know we are not competing against Tableau, but MicroStrategy needs to step up its game on the GUI side.​"

What other advice do I have?

Give the product a try. The most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Flexibility * Performance * Scalability.
          Brad Cutler
          Enterprise Analytics Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Jan 28, 2018
          The subscription model is excellent. About half of our reporting comes out of the subscription.

What is our primary use case?

It is performing very well. We meet once a week in the organization and talk about the performance of the prior week. There are a lot of things going on. We sell a lot of product to a lot of customers for a lot of different reasons. Therefore, MicroStrategy gives us the opportunity to dig into the data and find out what the story was.

• "Tech support has been great, very responsive. We usually hear back within a day.​ We usually email them and that works out perfect. The right person always gets back to us."
          • "The scalability is great. It was one of the selling points for us on MicroStrategy."
          • "The subscription model is excellent. About half of our reporting comes out of the subscription, and from there, the ease of use in dragging and dropping reporting objects."
          • "I like the user interface and the experience has been great."
          • "​There are a lot of offerings, and we are not fully using everything to its advantage."
          • "There are some challenges in our organization on how we store the data."

What other advice do I have?

The biggest thing is to think about the people involved with the software process, not just the people installing the software or administrating the software, but the people who are going to use it. Then, you need understand how you maintain adoption throughout implementation and post-implementation. How do you keep people hungry for the data? You have to make yourself available. It is critical for whatever solution you choose, because if you do not offer adoption, ways to help train, or think about the end use cases, then you are dead in the water. Most important criteria when selecting a…
          it_user807339
          Senior Applications Developer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
          Jan 28, 2018
          Provides us charts and graphs for reporting. The UI seems klutzy with its manual entry.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for reporting. The performance is okay. We are eventually looking to automate everything in our process.

• "It is always nice to have one solution in a single platform. You can do pretty much everything, instead of having to get a little bit here or a little bit there."
          • "Provides us charts and graphs for reporting."
          • "The UI seems klutzy with its manual entry."
          • "We would like access to more storage and access to more metadata to build the right programs that can construct all the stuff for us instead of us having to type it in all the time."
          • "We have the mobile server. We have not used it. That is because the people on our team have not been trained on it yet, but that is something that we want to do."

What other advice do I have?

MicroStrategy is probably overkill for what you are going to use it for. Just like when we were in school at tech studying electrical engineering. We studied all calculus, then finally, you get up into the upper echelons of electrical engineering at a bachelor's level and it is all algebra. You did not use your calculus. That is what this product is. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Functional capabilities * Tech support.
          it_user807336
          FPNA Analysts at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Jan 25, 2018
          We use it for operations and sales data analysis

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for operations analysis and sales data analysis.

• "We prefer having our analytics capabilities in a single platform, which MicroStrategy's offers."
          • "We are using it for operations analysis and sales data analysis."
          • "Getting our data to work with the tool is where we are having issues.​"

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: They need to fit what we are trying to accomplish.
          it_user807333
          BI Developer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Jan 25, 2018
          The convenience of having it on the mobile and our people having it right there in their pockets

What is our primary use case?

Reporting on some daily sales activities. It works well in this task.

• "The convenience of it. Having it on the mobile, so someone has it right there in their pocket most of the time."
          • "It is actually pretty complicated to use.​ It is complicated enough that user adaptation is sometimes difficult. We developed more experts rather than people using it.​"

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria that I want to see when selecting a vendor: One that provides good, stable software. MicroStrategy does this.
          it_user807330
          Staff Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
          Jan 25, 2018
          Most suited to the enterprise-wide BI platform because of its scalability and stability. They need to improve on distribution services.

What is our primary use case?

We use it primarily for reporting. Most of the reports are grid reports. We do slice and dice, and use pivot tables on the reports. The data goes up to the level of CEO. Basically, we use it for basic grid level reporting.

• "​Visual Insight gives you the capability of doing self-service analytics. This has been the most powerful and valuable feature.​"
          • "Dependency on development teams, as well as managing the platform, has reduced a lot with Visual Insight.​"
          • "I find MicroStrategy the most suited to the enterprise-wide BI platform, because of its scalability and stability.​"
          • "They need to improve on distribution services. There are lack of features which were there earlier with Narrowcast, but they are not there in the distribution services."
          • "They need to improve on having more professional, well-equipped premium support.​"

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest to explore MicroStrategy. It is a good tool. I have been working on it for seven years now. I would definitely recommend my friend or a colleague to use it, and implement it in their company. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Security. * Stability. * Scalability.
          it_user803136
          BI Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Jan 17, 2018
          We are using Dossiers to enable our executive committee to tell the stories behind the data

What is our primary use case?

We actually have two industries we service. We service the transportation industry, as well as the healthcare industry. We typically do patient transports for emergency and non-emergencies. We do them by helicopter, that is our airmen division. We have a number of other businesses that we serve, like alarm system companies and the like, but primarily we use our analytics to look at patient transport counts and volumes, by the day, by the week, and by the month. We also look at specific parishes (we call them battalions) to see how we can expand businesses out in Texas and Louisiana. We have a… more »

• "We have ramped up user adoption."
          • "Technical support has sent us to rapid response before, when we really needed them."
          • "Dossiers are going to change the name of the game for us. We want to be able to have the executive committee go into a meeting and tell a story. We want them to tell us a story, not us."
          • "Enterprise Manager should be a little bit less quirky when you build out-of-the-box customization reports for it."

What other advice do I have?

Do not walk away without taking the time to get to know the product or the people intimately. If you are trying to do analytics, it is a fantastic product, a top-tier product. We have dealt with a number of other products. I worked with folks who have dealt with Tableau and others. Especially with what they are doing with Dossier and all the things that are coming out, MicroStrategy has really started to lead the way with analytics in the future. I would court MicroStrategy and spend some time with them. Get to see what the tool does and what can it do for you. Do some proofs of concept. Most…
          it_user803139
          IT Consultant at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Jan 17, 2018
          We prefer having analytic capabilities in a single platform, because it is easier

What is our primary use case?

We use it mostly for the operational reporting. We also use it for the insurance claims and how to track them. The product is working fine. We feel they understand the healthcare system.

• "We prefer having the analytic capabilities in a single platform, like MicroStrategy provides, because it is easier. The customer gets used to one type of tool, then sticks with it."
          • "We have been using it mostly for grid reports and its exporting features."
          • "We have not invested nor are we planning to invest in MicroStrategy's mobile platform.​​"

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a solution worth investing in. It will be useful for the long term. Anyone who is researching similar solutions should look for the longer term. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * The technical capability. * They are able to deliver it. * They understand the product.
          it_user5331
          Business Intelligence Engineer at a leisure / travel company with 10,001+ employees
          Sep 24, 2017
          It is the perfect balance between self-service and governed BI

• "Visual Insights (VI)"
          • "Native VI on mobile apps and better android support are lacking."

What other advice do I have?

The real difficulty is finding a correct development resource for MicroStrategy as it has a steep learning curve and is unlike other tools on the market.
          SeniorMgr45645
          Senior Manager of Engineering at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
          Sep 17, 2017
          Provides a unified user experience with a full set of BI features

• "Comprehensive security control and more."
          • "MicroStrategy's mobile dashboard is still not a RESTful design."

What other advice do I have?

If your are looking for an enterprise level BI product for the standard BI platform in your organization, MicroStrategy would be the best choice.
          it_user156600
          Systems Analyst at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Jul 27, 2017
          Features I consider valuable include: data blending for end users, intelligent cubes, project metadata and the mobile solution.

• "Project Schema/metadata- Very flexible, connects to a variety of different data sources and is very flexible for many specific tasks. Attributes/metrics/filters created once used by everyone."
          • "The web developer tool for documents creation does not have all the features of the client version"
          it_user702252
          Senior Technical Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
          Jul 16, 2017
          Handles ad hoc queries and provides formatted reports. The In-Memory Capability needs a lot of improvement.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is the way it handles ad hoc queries and provides formatted reports.

What needs improvement?

The In-Memory Capability (cubes) needs a lot of improvement. They have tried a couple of new things in version 10.x, but it has stability issues.

I have been using MicroStrategy for the past 10 years.

The current version that I am using is stable but it lacks some features. Also, version 10.x has some stability issues.

We haven't faced much of an issue in terms of the scalability. However, due to its design (as it is very tightly coupled with the database), it depends on databases a lot,…
          it_user656304
          Data Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
          May 10, 2017
          Enabled our end users to do their own reports with little to no training. Metadata management could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure there is enough of a budget for continued support, or look for a different product where there is a bigger community.
          it_user262917
          Retail Solutions Manager at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
          Mar 26, 2017
          Delivers POS transaction analysis in grids, dashboards, and documents.

What other advice do I have?

* Take advantage of their training which they often offer to prospects. It will allow you to use the solution to your advantage much more quickly and efficiently. * Get a clear picture of the type of development skill that is required to get a quick start.
          it_user442254
          Business Intelligence Consultant at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
          Mar 22, 2017
          I like the dashboards, reports and filters. There isn't a proper mechanism to define proper KPIs, collaboration or analysis of numeric data separately.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for purely Performance Management of whole enterprise, then you should choose OBIEEE, otherwise choose MicroStrategy.
          it_user135108
          BI Team Leader at a government with 501-1,000 employees
          Mar 20, 2017
          The best features are R integration and visual insight.

What other advice do I have?

Look for a solution that covers all enterprise areas, from the IT department to end-users, that will help you build a robust, star schema model.
          it_user505383
          Director at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
          Mar 12, 2017
          Allows you to deploy analytical and security applications.

What other advice do I have?

Keep in mind your global and corporate design. It is best to start with a specific, small, and well-defined area.
          it_user519399
          Freelance MicroStrategy Expert, MicroStrategy Master at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
          Mar 9, 2017
          I can create optimized queries for each data source type. It integrates various data sources without ETL.

What other advice do I have?

If you are not a MicroStrategy expert, use one, especially in the initial phases of the projects; it will save you a great deal in the long term.
          it_user6837
          Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Feb 28, 2017
          It is scalable. It is not a bottleneck for leveraging a high-capacity analytical database.

What other advice do I have?

The core of your data source (data warehouse) should be star schema, preferably starflake. Then you can attach other data sources around that.
          it_user278022
          Microstrategy Project Manager & Microstrategy Lead Architect at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Feb 28, 2017
          It has server distribution to publish the dashboards and reports in different formats.
          it_user538236
          Sr Staff BI Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Feb 28, 2017
          Object sharing helps the end user with self-service reporting.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it.
          it_user221904
          Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          Feb 27, 2017
          Once you save a dashboard, it is available on all devices, including your iPad.

What other advice do I have?

MicroStrategy is what they call an enterprise solution, which means you can use it for reports, dashboards, self-service BI and mobile devices. The meta-database is a real advantage because of the reusability of your business rules, but you need to put time and effort into training; otherwise, you will get very frustrated.
          it_user132261
          Sub-Manager of Development at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Feb 23, 2017
          The dashboards can be exported as .mht files, which can be sent by email or published on our intranet.

What other advice do I have?

The main effort is making the DW and the models. The rest is not so difficult, but you have to implement a corporative strategy to stop using any other reporting system.
          it_user505854
          BI Manager at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Feb 23, 2017
          Dashboards can be built in a relatively simple manner.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure there isn’t a cheaper solution that satisfies your demands. Prepare a good team to develop and use it or you’ll have a big mess and difficulties making data discovery and self-service BI.
          it_user257493
          Application Developer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Feb 23, 2017
          It has provided the ability for end users to self-service on ad-hoc reports.

What other advice do I have?

Find other companies who are willing to share their experience and the lessons learned when setting up their environments.
          it_user250524
          Development Director at a government with 10,001+ employees
          Feb 23, 2017
          Mobility features help to supervise other locations. Visual Insight isn't as easy to use as the competitors.

What is most valuable?

It can be applied to a wide range of uses. It's a complete solution for all the BI needs of a company.

How has it helped my organization?

Mobility features have helped people who work supervising shops.

What needs improvement?

Visual Insight isn't as easy to use as the competitors.

I’ve used MicroStrategy for 15 years.

We occasionally had stability issues.

We did not have any scalability issues.

I rate technical support 1.5/5 because they hardly ever help you with problems and when they do it's very late.

Which solution did I use previously and why

it_user406914
          Principal Architect at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
          Feb 23, 2017
          Provides enterprise reporting, mobile access, and customizable dashboards. The development environment could be simplified.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend that they evaluate the in-built dashboards, test them with sample data and see how dashboards best fit your needs. As the development or customization of this tool is a crutch, people do not prefer to get into this technology.
          it_user185844
          Senior BI Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
          Jun 27, 2017
          Even non-IT personnel can create reports. I would like to see web and desktop functionality be reconciled.

• "The drill-down functionality is also very good."
          • "The graphs available for the new dashboard of version 10 are weak."

What other advice do I have?

If you use MicroStrategy on top of a data warehouse, put all the code translation in a snowflake schema. The reason is that often the last pass of the process translates the code into labels and it is easier if these labels are in separate tables. Install the enterprise manager tools and projects at the beginning. You can create a lot of objects and you need to know which one is used. This tool is not perfect, but it will give you an overview of the utilization of MicroStrategy. As an IT person, you have to create the model: define the attributes and the metrics. Once you have done that, if a…
          it_user162021
          Business Development Manager at a tech company with 51-200 employees
          Feb 20, 2017
          Blending and mashing enables business users to access different data sources, and combine them to create reports and visualizations.

What other advice do I have?

At the enterprise level, MicroStrategy is good but requires a longer learning curve to fully maximize the platform as compared to other traditional BI tools and niche products such as Tableau.
          it_user413238
          Technical Specialist at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
          Dec 7, 2016
          I like the Visual Insights, reporting and subscriptions with alerts.

What other advice do I have?

Understand your business needs and budget. In order decide whether or not to get this tool you need to know your the vision that will eventually help in growing your business.
          it_user295878
          Senior BI Analyst at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
          Dec 7, 2016
          All of the data is in a single place. It should move to the web completely and leave the desktop behind.

What other advice do I have?

Compare, and if you're going to spend a lot of money anyhow, there are better options, surely!
          it_user198780
          Associate at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
          Nov 24, 2016
          The Distribution service sends notifications, emails, and files to FTP to different sets of users and locations, with a different personalization for each subscription.

What other advice do I have?

There are around 10+ good BI players in the market. All of them have their own strengths in terms of visualizations, predictive analysis, self-service, mobility, scalability, etc. I would definitely recommend this product, but I would suggest that companies identify what exactly the business users are looking for in a Business Intelligence tool, and try to evaluate the tools abilities and licensing cost before actually purchasing the tool.
          it_user139296
          Solution Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Nov 24, 2016
          With its single, integrated architecture, we develop once and deploy anywhere

What other advice do I have?

If you have a user base that is going to increase over time, this product is best suited. Web-user licenses are unlimited for users who do not wish to create their own reports or dashboards and just want to view, download, and use.
          it_user193482
          Information Publishing Portfolio Manager at a comms service provider
          Nov 23, 2016
          We design attractive widgets using the aesthetic capabilities of the dashboarding functionality.

What other advice do I have?

It is essential to have resources available in the organization for harnessing the true potential of the tool.
          it_user158172
          GRM Spain - Tools and Risk Models with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Nov 23, 2016
          On-the-go reports do not require a fixed-forever template. In terms of usability, it is difficult to set up security.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you design the exploitation layer very carefully. If you don't, everything will turn into a mess. You will need technical gurus to understand the metadata, and the reports will be generated very slowly.
          it_user531798
          Consultant at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Nov 16, 2016
          The data warehousing capabilities are robust, and it is mobile-ready.

What other advice do I have?

This is an enterprise-wide solution for which the return on investment is long term rather than short term. Evaluate the product appropriately with others based on your needs.
          it_user476271
          Tech Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Nov 15, 2016
          One stop platform for all flavours of BI

What other advice do I have?

MicroStrategy requires a heavy dose of training and experience to master it. Prepare yourself with an experienced team before jumping into any project.
          it_user72435
          Solution Architect at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Oct 11, 2016
          Objects are defined, validated, and provided once, and can be reused throughout the platform.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure you have a solid/local sales engineer to watch over your initial and continued success, and ensure you subscribe to a technical support level that offers a technical account manager to be your voice into technology.
          it_user111504
          VP of Customer Experience at a consumer goods company with 501-1,000 employees
          Oct 11, 2016
          It allows us to code triggers to our affiliate system, CRM, and reporting services.

What other advice do I have?

If you implement a specific refresh window, be very wary of refresh times and memory consumption; system refreshes block any other action on the system. Other than that, the platform is quite intuitive for anyone who has BI solution implementation experience. MicroStrategy is the best of all enterprise solutions on a price/value axis.
          it_user487488
          System Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
          Oct 11, 2016
          It offers reports, dashboards and widgets for end users, along with mobile and web access

What other advice do I have?

Read the documentation, have patience and good luck in looking in the knowledge base.
          it_user528906
          Business Intelligence Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
          Oct 10, 2016
          Architect lets you design schema for multi-dimensional analysis. Visual Insight is still not mature.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you are implementing this as an enterprise system & always check compatibility with other integrating systems.
          it_user260568
          MicroStrategy Developer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
          Oct 9, 2016
          Intelligent Cubes give the illusion of real-time response from reports. I'd like for them to be shareable with other reporting tools.

What other advice do I have?

What I’ve mentioned elsewhere: Planning and sizing is a must, as well as thoroughly understanding the user base and their reporting delivery needs.
          it_user238434
          Senior Manager at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Oct 9, 2016
          The multi-user development environment allows several power users to be changing the metadata.

What other advice do I have?

Consider it in terms of flexibility to manage and develop user-friendly and powerful interfaces for end users.
          it_user511212
          Senior BI Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Sep 21, 2016
          I like MSTR architect resembles data modelling for attribute relations/hierarchies; MSTR web has numerous options for end users.

What other advice do I have?

MSTR is a great tool for reporting. Especially for big organisations, it is very stable. Training is a must for the developers who want to play with the options available in and out of the tool.
          it_user516102
          Manager - BI and Analytics with 501-1,000 employees
          Sep 21, 2016
          It is easy to develop dashboards for both web and mobile. They are not improving the prompt interface.

What other advice do I have?

It is good enterprise-level software. Consider Tableau and Qlik before making your decision. Evaluate your user readiness. For example, to use Tableau, the users should be more on the power users side. MicroStrategy is better if management is not tech savvy.
          it_user514329
          Managing Partner and Sr. MicroStrategy Enterprise Solution SME at a tech company
          Sep 20, 2016
          It has striven to simplify, yet has not compromised on robustness.

What other advice do I have?

MicroStrategy has always been one of the top leaders in the business intelligence industry and they have worked hard to provide new breakthroughs in the industry. There are other BI tools that can potentially provide a better solution for various reasons but in my opinion, they are very much focused on a specific area. If you are looking into a tool that offers the full suite of business intelligence needs, you will never go wrong with MicroStrategy.
          it_user513906
          Manager at a marketing services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Sep 19, 2016
          I can create a filter, add it to any metric, and use it in any report. Reports can be used as filters within other reports.

What other advice do I have?

* Do not attempt to ‘learn as you go’. It is a powerful platform and thus complex to understand. Attend MicroStrategy training classes. MicroStrategy offers on-line and in-house options, but take the classes at a MicroStrategy-sponsored training center; you need to be fully immersed. Those who’ve attempted ‘learn as we build’ are never satisfied. * Your team needs to have at least one person who is an experienced data modeler and that person needs to take MicroStrategy Architect training and should become MicroStrategy certified in that. * Your team should have a medium proficiency in SQL…
          it_user514302
          Sr. MicroStrategy Consultant at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Sep 18, 2016
          Metadata helps in scalability and organizing objects. It also helps enhance dashboard and report performance.

What other advice do I have?

You need a strong and well-experienced team to successfully implement and use the tool at its best.
          it_user514278
          Program Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
          Sep 18, 2016
          Report bursting offers fast ways to access info. It still lacks the analytics capability of other tools .

What other advice do I have?

It takes a while to set up properly to reap the benefits fully, so don’t rush up.
          it_user512919
          Microstrategy Developer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Sep 15, 2016
          Customization options are available at the coding and visual levels.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the data volume, choosing the most suitable database will be key. Setting up the MicroStrategysystem for optimum performance will drive how helpful the output will be.
          it_user512088
          MicroStrategy Product Manager at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Sep 14, 2016
          Being able to deliver dashboards to IPhone and iPad users is an asset.

What other advice do I have?

MicroStrategy depends heavily on your data, so don’t purchase it if your company doesn’t plan to make investments to warehouse its data.
          it_user69156
          BI Expert at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
          Sep 14, 2016
          The Visual Insight component provides simple integration with D3 data visualization​. VI export does not work as expected.

What other advice do I have?

Most companies just starting to look around should try the MSTR cloud AWS offering, as that would take away most implementation hurdles or need for technical experts for setting up the environment, along with low cost of ownership compared to the on-premise offering. Also, focus on your use cases and the vision you have about taking reporting and decisions on data to that next level, which is scalable and strong as your business grows.
          it_user511203
          Engineering Senior at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Sep 14, 2016
          Creating objects and reports is easy. The product reduces the burden on developers.

What other advice do I have?

Make use of their manuals and user community. There's a vast amount of knowledge out there in their community.
          it_user511446
          Consultant at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Sep 14, 2016
          Without knowing anything about joins, SQLs, and tables, users create their own reports and dashboards.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a good product for organizations planning to deploy an enterprise-wide reporting solution that will be built on top of a RDBMS. It is very robust and can handle large amounts of data fairly well. If the goal is to have a tool that can provide self-service BI and let end users create attractive dashboards without having to worry about object sharing, reusability, schema design, and IT involvement, then there are better & cheaper tools in the market.
          it_user510429
          Business Intelligence Consultant at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Sep 12, 2016
          Presents dashboards with more enhanced visualizations compared to other tools.

What is most valuable?

Dashboard development.

How has it helped my organization?

Presents dashboards with more enhanced visualizations compared to other tools.

What needs improvement?

Business User friendly - which has been enhanced in Version 10.

4 years

Yes, the 2 million row limit.

Straightforward and simple, but takes long to install.
          it_user507996
          MicroStrategy BI Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
          Sep 11, 2016
          It respects Dimensional Data Modelling basics and provides features and options that make sense accordingly.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great product and you can get the most out of it by following the data modelling principles and BI standards. So, plan from the beginning to have an ideal model, even though it takes more time or needs new work.
          it_user26829
          Business Intelligence Manager at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Sep 11, 2016
          Mobile dashboards show people the data they need at a glance and on the go.

What other advice do I have?

Hire a professional to help implement the program not just the installation.
          Jakub HOLASEK
          Data Visalization Architect at MSD
          Aug 31, 2016
          You can copy panel stacks inside RS documents and attach images directly to a dashboard. The developer should be completely redesigned.

What other advice do I have?

Get a person who has some skill and has already done several installations.
          Feb 15, 2016
          The ease of mobile BI development and deployment is good.

Valuable Features:

- SQL Engine -Ease of mobile BI development and deployment -Scaleability  - Security (encryption) with compression - Idea for enterprise wide BI delivery

Room for Improvement:

It needs better EM logging. EM is MicroStrategy enterprise manager which logs usage and stats. It has becomes very difficult over last couple of years to use this feature to have a BI environment rolled out to users.

MicroStrategy customer support including premium support is pretty bad in handling product level question or defects..which leads to lots of dissatisfaction for a customer
          it_user374076
          UI Architect and Senior Operations Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          Jan 21, 2016
          It allows you to export a single report in a dashboard.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be that it's a great product especially for reporting but you should also keep in mind that in the end it is still a product and it can't replicate all that can be achieved through a code or a full fledged database.
          it_user152448
          Senior Software Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Jan 14, 2016
          ​It helps to provide answers quickly for critical business questions.

Valuable Features:

Map Charts Security Give best features in iPad mobility Stable tool for big organization

Improvements to My Organization:

It helps to provide answers quickly for critical business questions. It has reduced our time spent on data entry and manipulation and can identify areas for cost cutting.

Room for Improvement:

The setup is quite complex and requires extra configurations.

Use of Solution:

We've used it for two years.

It's good.

Initial Setup:

It has a complex set-up. It requires configuration of its Intelligence Server and Metadata.

Implementation Team:

I have implemented it for different clients.

Other Advice:

If you are having small business set-up then you have to go for QlikView, else MicroStrategy is more…
          DanielM
          Manager HRO Application Development at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
          Oct 7, 2015
          Among other benefits, it performs complex calculations (SLAs, KPI rules) centralized in a single place where formulas can be corrected. However, it doesn't have an ETL tool.
          it_user220146
          Business Intelligence Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
          Oct 6, 2015
          Includes many well-designed features, but from time to time my web server stops and I have to restart the web server.
          it_user75861
          Business Intelligence Analyst at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          Aug 30, 2015
          It helped us create dynamic reports using data from a large database, but sometimes the creation of the registries during setup was not configured correctly making the developer tool stop working

What other advice do I have?

v10 of MicroStrategy is helping a lot of users by giving them the possibility to add new charts using JavaScript libraries like D3, in a very simple way using Visual Insight. HTML5 is supported everywhere, so using it will be a game changer. You must practice! The amount of configurations and possibilities are huge, so, go through the manuals, go through the online courses, participate in the community. There are a lot of things to learn.
          it_user170676
          Project Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Aug 13, 2015
          You can design your own dashboard in a professional way, but it needs data dictionary import.

Valuable Features:

The features I loved is the easy way the software allows you to design your own dashboard and the professional way it displays it. One would think that I was a graphic designer every time I create a dashboard (which I am not). The import of excel files into Microstrategy and the ease of data manipulation is outstanding. Good job Microstategy!

Improvements to My Organization:

The results are not in yet as it is too early to tell.

Room for Improvement:

Data dictionary import would be great.
          it_user70134
          Senior business Intelligence consultant at Asociación SevillaUP
          Aug 10, 2015
          Feature rich, complete, one-stop solution for BI. Needs training and coffee.

What other advice do I have?

Training training training. Especially in the beginning phase, a wrong choice can be very costly.
          it_user220092
          Project Associate at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Apr 20, 2015
          It has helped a lot of business users gain insight into their business but the developer friendliness needs to be improved a bit.

What is most valuable?

Robust architecture Scalable reports and scorecards Integration with other products

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped a lot of business users gain insight into how their business is doing.

What needs improvement?

The developer tool-kit is bit like that of late 90's and the developer friendliness needs to be improved a bit.

I've used it for over four years.

No major issues.

None as of now.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: Good. The support site is very helpful.…
          it_user144300
          Director of BI / Solution Architect at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
          Mar 11, 2015
          There are many niche players that may excel, but if you need to push the boundaries MicroStrategy is a leader.

What other advice do I have?

If your BI requirements are complex and require significant integration into internal applications this can be achieved using MicroStrategy and the SDK but the appropriate skilled resources will be required throughout the implementation. Do not expect to be successful just throwing a java developer at the SDK work who has no previous experience with the MicroStrategy SDK.
          it_user164241
          MicroStrategy Expert with 15 years exp. at Strategy BI Consulting
          Mar 2, 2015
          A full BI solution for any size/industry organization.

What is most valuable?

Centralized Object oriented Meta Data

How has it helped my organization?

All business data available to analyse in acceptable time and form with no extra efforts.

What needs improvement?

Visualisation will improved in the next version.

15 Years

Customer Service: Good Technical Support: Good enough

MS OLAP and SAP BW.

High

OBIEE, MS OLAP, Cognos, Tableau, QlikView
          it_user174993
          MicroStrategy Consultant at Interstate Batteries
          Dec 23, 2014
          Transaction Services is a good feature which I'm looking forward to seeing improve.
          it_user8547
          Consultant at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
          Sep 15, 2014
          Microstrategy “Data Science to Business Value”
          When a customer wants to implement BI, there are lots of options available in the market to choose from. The decision depends on various parameters such as scale of implementation, costing and performance. They can either go with the open source options, or they can plan towards a paid BI tool. The decision can also be driven based on strategic factors of the company. I personally don’t believe in tool agnostic approach, I feel every customer has his own BI needs and has some specific requirements. No tool in this world can meet each one of these requirements, but in my experience MicroStrategy provides a complete product, which meets most of the customer requirements. This would be my first product review on a Business intelligence tool “MicroStrategy” MicroStrategy is a…
          it_user5598
          Senior Director, BI Architecture at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Aug 12, 2014
          The product supports a broad range of analysis styles, but it struggles with schemas other than star or snowflake.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure your database design follows dimensional modeling principles. Avoid API-level customizations, they may break when upgrading product versions.
          it_user125418
          Owner/Principal at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          Aug 7, 2014
          Data access could be improved but I find the totality of the product to be the best in the business

What other advice do I have?

Look at the complete package, considering TCO, administrative ease and end user usability/empowerment.
          it_user136422
          Industry Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Jun 27, 2014
          One stop solution for a complete BI suite

What is most valuable?

Dashboard, Visual Insights, Mobile BI

How has it helped my organization?

More interactive in terms of visualization. Gets rid of old transactional reports and Grid reports.

What needs improvement?

Long way to go to explore complete suite.

4 years

Customer Service: 4 out of 5Technical Support: 2 out of 5

None

200%
          it_user6525
          Engineer at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
          May 1, 2014
          High ROI, dynamic and user friendly
          For how long have you used this product? - 5.5 yrs Which features of this product are most valuable to you? - Dynamic and user friendly What areas of this product have room for improvement? - Easy Performance tuning is required on MSTR Desktop. Did you encounter any issues with deployment, stability or scalability? - No Did you previously use a different solution and if so, why did you switch? - In MSTR itself we have alternative for different solution Before choosing this product, did you evaluate other options? If so, which ones? - Yes I have done comparison with Cognos and SSRS reporting tool. How would you rate the level of customer service and technical support? - 6 out of 10 Was the initial setup straightforward or complex? In what ways? - Straight but…
          it_user7263
          BI Expert at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
          May 1, 2014
          Incredibly powerful but it's not for everybody
          MicroStrategy is incredibly powerful for BI, but it isn't for everybody. The analytics engine behind MicroStrategy is top notch, removing a lot of the complexity that a user may experience on the front end and moving it to the middle layer. Unfortunately, in doing this, managing the middle layer is somewhat complex with a ton of options. I'd highly recommend MicroStrategy Enterprise for companies with significant volumes of data, but smaller companies with only one or two analysts or very little data backend should look at MicroStrategy Cloud/Web or products that aren't as powerful/advanced. To summarize: end users love the front end but the ease of use comes at the expense of being a little more investment in the middle "metadata" layer.
          it_user8547
          Consultant at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
          MicroStrategy Mobile BI- “Smart Analytics using Smartphone’s”The day
          MicroStrategy Mobile BI- “Smart Analytics using Smartphone’s” The day is not too far when everyone on this planet will stand connected. With another five billion people set to become a part of mobile users community, the digital revolution promises to redefine and improve lifestyle in terms of productivity, health, education and myriad other avenues of the physical world. The introduction of this small, compact but empowering device has undoubtedly filled in the digital divide across the globe. Mobile computers are spreading faster than any other consumer technology in history. Mobile telecom has been witnessing a decade of depreciation in prices of devices as well as calling rates, making wireless services affordable for masses. In the year 2007, the average price of a phone was $120 and…
          it_user69087
          Head of Data Analytics at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
          Feb 6, 2014
          Considered Cognos but went with Microstrategy - we found it to be easy to develop new reports & change metadata layer

What other advice do I have?

Nice easy to use product, I can advise to use it for others. General advice (not depends on the particular product), implementation of BI tools MUST be a general company strategy. Implementation has to cover significant part of the reporting and everyone who need a reporting has to use it. - in this case you will get benefit from reporting unification and control over new reports growing. There is in the company has to be developed reporting creation rules (who are allowed doing what and there it's can be located - public or private) BI team has to be fully responsible for reporting…
          it_user72702
          Business Analyst at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
          Dec 12, 2013
          The initiall setup was very complex but the formatting tools and the subscriptions are valuable

What is most valuable?

2 most favorite features are the easy formatting tools and the subscriptions.

How has it helped my organization?

Key Sales and Operations figures receive periodic tailor made data pertaining their responsibilities and interests.

What needs improvement?

The relationship between attributes needs to be clearer and the ability to edit contact lists and subscriptions.

Deployment or more to the point adaptability to the different markets and local branches was a bit shaky. It still doesn't suit perfectly every branch.

Customer Service: No use for it up till now. Assimilation team is very capable and helpful.Technical Support: No use for it up till now.…
          it_user6855
          CEO with 51-200 employees
          Top Reviewer
          Jul 7, 2013
          One step ahead of much of the competition, and delivers a highly configurable and quite uniquely functional BI environment
          Verdict: MicroStrategy is one step ahead of much of the competition, and delivers a highly configurable and quite uniquely functional BI environment. Should be on any BI shortlist. MicroStrategy pretty well does everything when it comes to BI and analytics. Data visualization and exploration compares well with best of breed, scorecards and dashboards are feature rich and easy to use, the reporting capability is extensive and, somewhat uniquely for a BI platform, MicroStrategy supports the implementation of data mining models. This does not however mean that MicroStrategy supports the building of such models, because in the main it doesn’t. More on this in a moment. The MicroStrategy Business Intelligence Platform is described as enterprise class, and indeed it is. It contains too many…
          it_user7437
          Director of Data Analytics at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
          Jul 1, 2013
          Mobile BI & Cloud based option
          People are moving to MicroStraegy because they've heavily invested in mobile BI. The younger generation wants to do things with tablets, smartphones. Industries want to do things on floor shop and not carry around a laptop. Cloud base- they moved into a cloud platform. It's a strong cloud based option. It's a volume BI- typically sits on top of a DW.
          it_user3900
          Manager of Development at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Jun 4, 2013
          Even if the costs are high, the benefits are huge.
          I would agree with the fact that MicroStrategy brings along with it increased costs but would clearly like to quote that it brings along it with it huge benefits that probably other reporting tools dont offer. The tools architecture has been framed in such a way that the design and development are easy thus reducing the maintenance efforts. Companies do think twice before implementing MicroStrategy because of the costs involved. Not only its about the implementation but also technical support which is around $10,000 per year. Also when there is a project coming in any company analyses if its possible to achieve it with other reporting tools with lesser implementation, administration, support and maintenance costs but they do not analyse if in the long run any other additional features…
          it_user6462
          Architect at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
          May 9, 2013
          Deployment and stability has been fairly good but scalability of the product is quite challenging
          For how long have you used this product? - 9 yrs Which features of this product are most valuable to you? - Mobile and in general, use of this Software by End Users. Can you give an example of how this product has improved the way your organization functions? - Users are getting their answers quickly and acting on their business KPI's What areas of this product have room for improvement? - Distributing Reports Did you encounter any issues with deployment, stability or scalability? - Few Challenges but deployment and stability has been fairly good but scalability of the product is quite challenging. Did you previously use a different solution and if so, why did you switch? - Business Objects. Switched to MicroStrategy for ease of use and Mobility Support. Before…
          it_user6330
          Product Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
          May 2, 2013
          MicroStrategy vs. Tableau
          After a recent presentation, several attendees asked me about the applications of Visual Insights and Tableau. Many companies are investing in both tools and are trying to figure out the right tool for specific applications. Tableau has found its sweet-spot as an agile discovery tool that analysts use to create and share insights. It is also the tool of choice for rapid prototyping of dashboards. Tableau is very flexible with its data import. Tableau's data blending capability is very intuitive. This capability is useful when you have data spread across several different sources that has not gone through ETL processes. This is a problem analysts deal with routinely. They are unable to wait for the data warehouse team to develop ETL processes to provide the physical models they…
          it_user4635
          Consultant at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
          May 2, 2013
          Most valuable features include Visual insight, MicroStrategy Mobile & Office integration
          On a scale from 1-5 (1=worst, 5=best), how would you rate this product overall compared to similar products? - Overall - 4.5 but we will have to look into the particular functionalities to do a fair comparison For how long have you used this product? - 3. 5+ years Which features of this product are most valuable to you? - Visual insight, MicroStrategy Mobile, Report Services (documents and dashboards), Office integration,SDK, R intégration (data mining), Cubes and caches Can you give an example of how this product has improved the way your organization functions? - As a BI consultant I've seen many times organizations turning to data driven business with actionable BI and analytics which have helped them to take better decisions at different levels of the structure. Most of…
          Mar 21, 2013
          February 2012 Magic Quadrant report - Biggest MicroStrategy Misconception
          That's one of the biggest misconceptions for any potential MicroStrategy implementation. Business now a days stack it against tableau,spotfire, SSIS,QlikView and other 'newer' tools (previously they used to compare against Cognos, BO,Actuate,SAS BI )..and all in all no one comes closer to return-on-investment when compared to MicroStrategy. Yes, initial setup cost and resource cost may be higher than most but you will get most of what you will spend. And in most organizations MicroStrategy is rolled as an shared platform which ultimately reduces 'actual cost' for any new project using MicroStrategy as solution. In other words, which BI platform will give you cube,mobile,clustering,scalability,object re-usability , detailed SDK with one of most power SQL engine ?
          it_user5211
          BI Expert at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
          Mar 19, 2013
          Low TCO and flexible. But licensing model is complicated.

Valuable Features:

I think the total cost of ownership is lower than other products, it is flexible and enterprise class.

Room for Improvement:

The licenses model is complicated. New features are slow to get to market (in comparison to other niche tools).
          it_user4689
          Business Development Staff at a outsourcing company with 51-200 employees
          Mar 1, 2013
          Ariel Lindenfeld
          Director of Community Management at IT Central Station
          Community Manager
          Feb 14, 2013
          Gartner says MicroStrategy can be costly. What do you think?
          In its BI Magic Quadrant report, Gartner says that although MicroStrategy administration costs per user are average, customers report above average costs for licensing and implementation. Additionally, customers say that the main limitation to widespread deployment is the cost of MicroStrategy software. What do you think? Is the cost of implementing and licensing MicroStrategy limiting its widespread deployment? Do you find that using MicroStrategy brings along with it increased costs? If you are a user or are evaluating MicroStrategy, add your comment below or write your own review. Share your opinion with our community!
          it_user4182
          Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
          Feb 7, 2013
          A great tool which is serving both big and small clients with equal strength

Valuable Features:

I am a report developer and find it a very useful tool. It has everything I need and with your intelligence you are able to make fantastic reports.

Room for Improvement:

The only problem is report performance.
          it_user3900
          Manager of Development at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Jan 22, 2013
          Issues with reports, however can be quickly fixed
          A common problem in MicroStrategy that users face is the performance of reports. But with simple tuning techniques that the product provides this can be fixed in no time. I would like to share with you the techniques that I have played around with. First I would like to talk about the caching. Caching allows for improved performance in response to report queries. As the cache gets stored in the memory, when repeated queries are made against the same reports the data is fetched faster. Caching comes in different forms - Project/Report Level Caching and Template Caching 1. Caching can be enabled/disabled at project or report level. However the report level setting will override the project level setting. Using Project Configuration we can enable the caching else in report –…